Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try to keep this post as short as possible. I've a 2010 Eos and apparently the "working as designed" climate control has a mind of it's own (otherwise known as automatic climate control I've been told). The local VW dealership insists there's nothing wrong with it.
The car blows hot when it wants, cold when it wants, fan speed blows slow, fast and everything in between all without me touching anything! For example, I can set the thermostat to 80 with the A/C on and bump up the fan to high. Then start driving down the road and after a few miles it will start blowing warmer and the fan speed will decrease all without me touching anything. Seriously, it has a mind of it's own and the only thing consistent about it is it's INCONSISTENT!
Also, I've noticed the temperature of the air blowing out is even less consistent with how the thermostat is set during a clear sunny day. When it's overcast or rainy the temperature seems to be "closer" in line with the thermostat setting.
I took my Eos to the beach and during the 4 hour drive home I pointed out to my wife everytime the climate control changed it's settings all automatic like & she too was amazed. Only then did she begin to sense my frustration with this vehicle. Again, the VW dealership says it's "working as designed" and there's nothing they can do.
I'm soooooooooooo ready to get rid of this car. It's a real shame because I feel it's a pretty descent car with one exception - the climate control system. Seriously, it may run good but if "I" have absolutely "NO CONTROL" over the climate control then it's a pretty frustrating, uncomfortable and very annoying ride!
I have seen other similar complaints on the web but have yet to find a solution. Can anyone out there help me, pleeeeease?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I do not know if I can help however we had similar problems with our 2010 Golf MkVI GTD which has the same aircon system. I took it back to the dealer a couple of times and they finally fixed it. I think it was something to do with the light sensor and it being set up for a US system - I am in Australia. Why there are different airCon setups for different countries I do not know. Maybe you could get them to set it up as an "Australian system"? My EOS aircon syustem is perfect.
My suggestion is to take it back to the dealer or try another dealer.
Good Luck!

·
Super Moderator
2,424 Posts
There are two types of HVAC systems used in vehicles, the first is a cheap manual system that is entirely user operated and is fitted to base models. These systems do not have dial-up temperature setting controls just red/blue ranges on the control dials.

Up-market and prestige models usually have climate control systems where the driver and front seat passengers often have individual controls to set their desired temperature and the system automatically varies the heating/cooling and fan speed to achieve the desired result. The Eos has a very good individual setting climate control system for the front seat passengers in the expensive models. If your car is fitted with a climate control system and you do not have an owner's manual, you will have to experiment to find your preferred settings. If there is an "auto" setting on the controls, turning this off will stop the fan speed changing but the temperature settings should stay the same. Also using the full "recirculate" setting may cause problems and I always use the system on fresh outside air to allow the automatic system to "set and forget" rather than having to continually reset as the interior air changes temperature when recirculating.

Of course, the HVAC system does not function effectively when the top is down and this is when the system should be set for manual operation by turning the "Auto" switch off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
"RE: Scratcchedeos"

Thanks for the reply... I've had this car for almost 3 years now and have had it back to the VW dealer (where I bought it from) several times now. Each time, they say there's nothing wrong with it and it's "working as designed!" This has been sooooooo frustrating. Every day I'm fighting with this climate control.

I've even contacted VW Headquarters and they were absolutely no help whatsoever!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Re: Silvershadow"

Thanks for the reply & for trying to help. However, this doesn't help...

I have the more advanced "Up-market" system you've described. Having fought with this for almost 3 years now I've done a lot of research. I've researched online and read the owner's manual over and over. Actually, the exact climate control system in my car is NOT depicted in my owner's manual and yes I've also mentioned this to the dealer and they gave me the "deer in headlights look & simply said "oh".

You suggested to take the system off auto and with it on manual the fan speed shouldn't change and also the temp setting should stay the same. Ha haaaaa, like I said earlier - it has a "mind of it's own" - EVEN ON MANUAL!. Yeah, one would expect that a "manual" setting would mean just that but not in my car. Again, I've demonstrated this to my wife and she just shakes her head with amazement but unfortunately I can't seem to get the VW Dealership mechanic to grasp this. Even on "manual" the fan speed frequently changes right before your eyes and the temperature continues to vary (blowing out hotter/colder air and everywhere in between) while driving down the road. Strangely, on cloudy days I seem to make less adjustments as well as when the top is down.

My personal guess after all this time is this... In my research I've read online that the "sensors" in the car are extremely sensitive - perhaps too sensitive in some cases. I don't know if that's the entire problem in my case or not but seriously one would think & expect the VW Dealership mechanics to be "up to speed" and knowledgeable on how to actually FIX MY EOS ISSUE!

I can't begin to describe how totally frustrating an experience this has been. I love this car and it's been a good car with the exception of this climate control that they refuse to fix. I'm just coming to grips with the added expense of trading this car in (which I've really pampered) on something else just because of the climate control as it's really that bad! I'll never buy another Volkswagen product.

Again, thanks for your response & for honestly trying to help. I'm glad that your climate control appears to be "working as designed" but mine definitely isn't.

·
Super Moderator
2,424 Posts
The key to solving problems such as this is a process of elimination - start with the basics and if this is unsuccessful, proceed further and this is where access to fault codes becomes essential. The service dealers should do this as a matter of course and DIY owners should invest in a Ross-Tech VCDS diagnostic cable [not the cheap clones advertised on Ebay and elsewhere as these are next to useless] and use this forum and the Ross-Tech forum to post the recorded fault codes for further help. Otherwise, you are "flying blind" and likely to waste a lot of time trying to solve your problem.

http://www.ross-tech.com/

·
Registered
437 Posts
I seem to remember having to take our GTD back 3 times before the aircon was fixed. I think the problem was something to do with a light sensor. Maybe you could try a different dealer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts