Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My car is due a brake fluid change which is fine as I’ve done them before. What I haven’t done before though is change the clutch fluid as well.I know there’s a bleed valve where the hydraulic line enters the gearbox under the air box but I’m not sure where the clutch slave cylinder is. Can anybody enlighten me please? Also is it necessary to use VW specific dot 4 (apparently lower viscosity?)

thanks

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
For manual transmissions they share the same reservoir AFIK? There is a clutch bleeder valve attached to the slave cylinder. Have you done V.Ws before? With the more complex ABS I find only positive pressure applied to the reservoir cap works reliably to give a hard pedal without excessive free pedal travel or trapped air.

You remove as much fluid as you can from the reservoir, fill with new, then under pressure you should remove 0.2l from each front bleeder, 0.3l from each rear bleeder and 0.15l from the clutch bleeder = 1.15l in total, but then you have done this before?

DOT4 is commonly used for older vehicles <2016 unless somebody has tried to use something else? There is no DOT4 alternative as these older systems and seals were designed for it - not silicone or anything else! If you have any doubts, quote your VIN to the dealer and ask for the V.W part.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s really useful thanks

When I say I’ve done it before then it’s been on other makes, not VWs, so thanks for telling me about positive pressure. My car is 2010 so quite old now, hence the dot 4.

my query about the dot4 was because other forums mention that VW brake fluid is lower viscosity to help with ESP so wanted to check.

thanks

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
MY07 is older. I tried the 'foot on pedal' method of bleeding after replacing the ABS module. It didn't work. In the end I bought the cheapo Gunsen pressure bleeder that came with an assortment of reservoir caps. However, IMHO there's a glaring Gotcha in their use instructions: They say connect to a spare tire and use that as a pressure source. I have a 'skinny spare' pumped up to about 55psi! I would only risk <10-15psi into the reservoir. I used my pressure regulated airline, but let air out of the spare if you use their method.

MY07 EOS has regular DOT4 from Halfrauds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts