Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a deer run right in front of my 2015 VW Eos tonight and had less than a second to react. Slammed on the brakes but still hit the animal and knocked it down, whereupon it rolled a few times, scrambled into the underbrush and disappeared.

The driver's side headlight plastic lens is cracked but the light still works. Worse is the dent in the hood.
Automotive parking light Car Grille Vehicle Automotive lighting
Automotive parking light Car Grille Vehicle Automotive lighting

Insurance deductible is $1000. Worse, insurance company won't tell me if this accident (which is a true accident, since it was unavoidable and only bad luck) will raise my rates.

I'm pretty handy and do a lot of work on vintage (pre-1965) cars. How involved would replacing the hood and headlight lens be for someone with mechanical skills but no experience with modern cars?

When I was a kid these dents would be pounded out, filled, and sanded and painted. I don't suppose anyone does that anymore.

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
749 Posts
Hood is rather simple, assuming you disconnect all of the wiring and squirter hoses, then your looking at some bolts, removal of the hood latch and removal of the hood strut.

You will need to pull the bumper to get access to all the bolts for the headlight and you will have to replace the entire light assembly, lenses are not something that is available separately. You may want to search Ebay for a headlight.

As for body repair, if a body panel can be replaced, its faster and normally cheaper to go that route, rather than spend the man hours to pull out dents. Kind of depends upon the damage and the shop your working with. I wouldn't go for a used hood, they are never stored very well and most likely have dents, scratches etc. I would go new, bring it to the paint shop and let the professionals paint it, then you can install it if your feeling mechanical. It is a two person job though. Your other option is to buy the hood and drop it off with your car and let the shop paint and install it, cost a bit more labor wise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Collision won’t cover this? That is odd. I would check that again
It is covered. $2,000 deductible.

Also I called the insurance company (Geico) to ask if I claim this, will my rates go up? Representative could not tell me. Only said one month before renewal, they would send a letter informing me of their decision. That is no help - I need to know before repair, not after!

·
Administrator
2,565 Posts
Given the advice you received from your Insurer, I would be almost absolutely certain you will be hit with a premium increase.

Here in Australia, the insurers have a different arrangement, the base premium for all cars is based on a combination of the repair cost history of the car model, the use of the car for city and/or country driving and annual distance travelled. This premium is fixed and a "no claim" discount may be offered based on the claim history of the owner and the age of the driver if an accident occurs. Depending on the Insurer, owners with a long-term no-claim record may receive an additional "no claim" discount that is permanent and is not forfeited if a future claim is made. An excess for young and/or inexperienced "at fault" drivers usually applies in the event of a claim.

·
Registered
2015 Volkswagen Eos, Komfort 2.0L
176 Posts
It is covered. $2,000 deductible.

Also I called the insurance company (Geico) to ask if I claim this, will my rates go up? Representative could not tell me. Only said one month before renewal, they would send a letter informing me of their decision. That is no help - I need to know before repair, not after!
Considering you paid for premiums, the least you should do if you haven’t yet is get a repair estimate. Many VW places provide collision repairs (like my local place in Knoxville). Couldn’t hurt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the least you should do if you haven’t yet is get a repair estimate.
No body shops or auto dealer service departments are open on the weekends. Not like the old days!

Going to the VW dealer and a local body shop tomorrow.

I had the headlight changed a few years ago and if I recall it was about $500.
Grill is also broken. It's plastic, but I bet it will be north of $200.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Greg,
you're getting good advice here. Yes, I've learned a lot by watching several YouTube videos for my 2007 EOS. One thing for you in the front bumper removal is the plastic part "key" that connects the bumper to the front fender panels. It's a bit tricky to pull and re-insert, but be patient. Her's a linl to my own lessons learned in fender replacement.

Front fender skirts rusting (replacement) | Volkswagen Eos Forum (vweosclub.com)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you're getting good advice here
Yes, very valuable information.

I even saw on YouTube where people repair the plastic cover which goes over the headlight unit. Very labor intensive, however.

Estimate came in at $2400. Parts, plus paint job (one thing I never mastered is automotive painting) will cost me close to the deductible of $1000. At this point in my life, time is of greater value to me so I will have the body shop fix it.

Thanks to all for the advice guidance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts