Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad:I have a 2009 Eos Lux w/auto transmission. I have less than 10,000 miles on it. Yesterday I went to start it............would not happen. The key wouldn't turn, the windows slightly jerked up & down, couldn't take the car out of gear. The control panel light up.....alarm works, entry works...thats is it!!!!

Some type of complete failure?

Battery was fine......towed to dealership 25 miles away. Of course, it was sunday so I have to wait til today to talk to someone. VERY FUSTRATING!!!!!

Anyone experience or hear anything like this before?:confused:

·
I own a DUD EOS
51 Posts
did 'engine fault' display on the dash? Mine was caused by wiring not secured in the engine bay that rubbed the wiring against the air con unit.. when you turn the key, the engine won't even kick over a little bit?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Two members of this forum have their EOS' break down in less than a week. :eek: Oh dear.

Can I change my vote in the recent reliablity poll from 'good' to 'poor'.

·
Life is good... so far
1,060 Posts
Try turning steering wheel as far as you can in either direction and try turning the key. May be the steering wheel key lock mechanism is jamming. I sometimes get this if The wheels aren't pointed for straight ahead when I remove the key. It can happen on most cars.

·
Registered
148 Posts
:mad:I have a 2009 Eos Lux w/auto transmission. I have less than 10,000 miles on it. Yesterday I went to start it............would not happen. The key wouldn't turn, the windows slightly jerked up & down, couldn't take the car out of gear. The control panel light up.....alarm works, entry works...thats is it!!!!

Some type of complete failure?

Battery was fine......towed to dealership 25 miles away. Of course, it was sunday so I have to wait til today to talk to someone. VERY FUSTRATING!!!!!

Anyone experience or hear anything like this before?:confused:
WOW.. never heard of anything like that.. keep us posted.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Sounds like the ignition barrel has given up, or there's pressure on it from the steering lock stopping it turning, rather than a "complete failure". :) In my world a complete failure would be sod all happening - no dash panel lighting up or anything. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turned out it was something to do with the ignition that in turn "immobilized" all functions of the vehicle. A soddering defect is what they said anyhow?

I must also comment how poor the service has been at the VW dealership. I am extremely disappointed. This is my 1st VW...my husband also bought a VW (CC) the same day I did. Soooo I am hoping this is an exception and not the rule for VW dealerships.

·
Former Focus CC3 owner!
632 Posts
Turned out it was something to do with the ignition that in turn "immobilized" all functions of the vehicle. A soddering defect is what they said anyhow?

I must also comment how poor the service has been at the VW dealership. I am extremely disappointed. This is my 1st VW...my husband also bought a VW (CC) the same day I did. Soooo I am hoping this is an exception and not the rule for VW dealerships.
Nope, it's a rule, they are mainly all asses in my experience! :eek::rolleyes:

·
Growing old disgracefully
239 Posts
Nope, it's a rule, they are mainly all asses in my experience! :eek::rolleyes:
I have to agree as my local dealer had an IT upgrade just after ordering parts to cure a rattle in the dash and they have lost all their customer data (humm, I smell a porky). That made a one month wait for parts into a two month wait and the EOS has been off the road for four weeks (needed to recheck their findings after data loss), not impressed!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My EOS is still not fixed..........they ordered the WRONG PART. Nice, huh? The junker they gave me to drive has serious problems too.........I am now waiting for a replacement car, for the replacement car while my car is being fixed! Again, nice, huh?

VERY disgusted with VW at this point.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Maybe my dealer (in Newton Abbott) is the exception that proves the rule. I can't fault them when it comes to warranty repairs. I've had my Eos (from new) just over a year. Apart from an initial serious oil leak, when I was without the Eos for 3 days - loan car provided, it has been back 3 times, including the DSG gearbox recall & all faults have been fixed to my satisfaction while I wait. I have nothing but praise for them.
Usual disclaimers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
John F it sounds like you have a good thing in your area...........I wish I could say the same. It is not so in my neck of the woods :rolleyes:

When you have to get a loaner car for THE loaner car....its disturbing. Then they say something like "omg how did anyone let you drive that" just adds to the injury? BTW, the car they gave me to drive, to replace my beloved EOS, was a Chevy Cobalt (stripped) with a bad front end. Anything over 50 mph caused the vehicle to shake very badly, the brakes reacted the same way. Nice, huh?

The tow service they provided tried to get me to sign a "no fault" agreement for not being able to get my car out of park, nice, huh? I said NO on that. The list is so long its disgusting............

·
Registered
285 Posts
Maybe my dealer (in Newton Abbott) is the exception that proves the rule

In my experience this is not the case, the exception is the bad dealer.

Dealers rely on "repeat" business to survive, if they keep upsetting their customer base they will very soon go bust, of course you cannot satisfy all customers and there are some which no matter what you do, defeat everything tried, but hey this happens in all industries.

I have been in customer services/relations for 35/40 years and I can confidently state some customers make a career out of complaining, and when their welcome has finally been worn out with one brand (ie they have milked it dry) they buy another.

lldowney

Every time my car has been in a UK VW dealer without fail I get a follow up call from a CRM agency on their behalf (I think it is Maritz), I understand customer satisfaction ratings are part of the VW dealers standards in the UK and again a dealer worth their salt needs to take notice of bad reports, or it affects their audit results and eventually their franchise.

You would be best writing a letter to the main importer (you do not say which country you are in) and jot down your experiences.

Derek

·
Registered
304 Posts
Nope, it's a rule, they are mainly all asses in my experience!
I've bought VWs from 3 different dealers (Sinclair's in Bridgend, Massingberd's in Northallerton and Ridgeway in Wantage), depending on where I've lived at the time, and none of them have been anything other than helpful. :) I've also had warranty repairs done at Cook's in Peterborough on my old '03 Golf GTI (at no notice when the window mechanism went awry) and '03 Golf V6 4motion. So, IMHO and experience, they're not all asses. ;)

People also seem to forget, or are utterly unaware, that all mechanical or electrical devices can be subject to faults or failures - some due to poor quality control, others can be simply random failures. It's possible to put two almost identical items on the same test schedule and they'll more likely than not fail at different times. It's a bugger when it happens to an individual, but that's life and in the grand scheme that individual may well be in a minority, although a highly vocal minority. Perhaps the fact that cars are so much more reliable than they were even 10 - 15 years ago sets peoples expectations so high. Also, many drivers nowadays do so little basic maintenance themselves (even just checking bulbs looking at the number of cars on the roads with at least one bulb out :mad: ) that the whole idea of preventative maintenance has become alien. :( So what's a minor problem at first (which could be quickly, cheaply and easily fixed) develops into a major (an expensive) fault. Also, folk forget if they have a problem that's intermittent, it'll most probably be the same for the dealer staff and they may not see any fault occur in the short time the car may be initially with them initially - the car may be behaving itself or they may be operating it very slightly differently, but the problem then becomes apparent the next time the owner tries it. If they kept it for weeks trying to replicate the fault - which still didn't happen for them, then people would whinge that it's been in the dealers for weeks who can't find the fault and how useless they are.

·
I own a DUD EOS
51 Posts
John F it sounds like you have a good thing in your area...........I wish I could say the same. It is not so in my neck of the woods :rolleyes: The tow service they provided tried to get me to sign a "no fault" agreement for not being able to get my car out of park, nice, huh? I said NO on that. The list is so long its disgusting............
Hi lldowney, hopefully you'll get your car back on the rd soon. Feel free to PM me and I'll give you the Board of Directors email address's. Not that they will do much besides give VW in your country a kick up the rear to get your car fixed. My experience has been the same as yours.... but emailing the board will get your car fixed quickly and with less fuss than they usually put you through.

I was reading someone else said they had a problem with a rattle in the dash... what was the cause, Ive got the same annoying issue.

·
Super Moderator
2,360 Posts

I have been in customer services/relations for 35/40 years and I can confidently state some customers make a career out of complaining, and when their welcome has finally been worn out with one brand (ie they have milked it dry) they buy another.

Derek
My experience as well. This type of customer creates a problem for managers/supervisors in keeping frontline customer service staff motivated and prepared to "go the extra mile" to meet customer expectations after encountering an unappreciative and unreasonable customer.

Every time my car has been in a UK VW dealer without fail I get a follow up call from a CRM agency on their behalf (I think it is Maritz), I understand customer satisfaction ratings are part of the VW dealers standards in the UK and again a dealer worth their salt needs to take notice of bad reports, or it affects their audit results and eventually their franchise.

You would be best writing a letter to the main importer (you do not say which country you are in) and jot down your experiences.

Derek

This is also the case with VW Australia - we get a letter from VWA after each dealer contact giving us an access code to a market research website to complete a dealer satisfaction questionnaire. We also get a similar reply-paid card from the dealer so they can get an early indication of our response to the VWA survey.

·
Super Moderator
2,360 Posts

People also seem to forget, or are utterly unaware, that all mechanical or electrical devices can be subject to faults or failures - some due to poor quality control, others can be simply random failures. It's possible to put two almost identical items on the same test schedule and they'll more likely than not fail at different times. It's a bugger when it happens to you, but that's life and in the grand scheme you may well be in a minority, although a highly vocal minority. Perhaps the fact that cars are so much more reliable than they were even 10 - 15 years ago sets peoples expectations so high. Also, many drivers nowadays do so little basic maintenance themselves (even just checking bulbs looking at the number of cars on the roads with at least one bulb out :mad: ) that the whole idea of preventative maintenance has become alien. :( So a minor problem at first (which could be quickly, cheaply and easily fixed) develops into a major (an expensive) fault.

When beginning the training of staff who would be responsible for frontline customer service, I always presented the following quotation "Customers don't always remember they had a problem but they always remember how well it was fixed". My biggest challenge was a workshop serviceman who would comment "They all do that" to customers bringing in a warranty repair/replacement. This was true for the products he saw - what he didn't appreciate was the fact that he was seeing less than 2% of the product that had been sold and the other 98% were meeting the customers' expectations.

A failure rate of 2% is widely accepted in the quality control profession as being the best compromise between the exponentially higher cost of achieving lower failure rates [and consequent higher selling prices] and avoiding loss of customer loyalty from loss of product/brand reputation due to post-purchase problems. However, there are also some customers who you should never sell products to; especially products that require preventative maintenance for the reasons in the quote.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Unfortunately in Oz, unlike UK/USA etc, it is a case of Hobson's Choice for most of us here where VW dealers are concerned, they are so thin on the ground, and that ground is pretty big! Coupled to an importer whose policy [as detailed in this forum] seems to be to get any repair done as cheaply as possible, whatever the subsequent appearance and consequences are, and, with poor litigation possibilities, you have little recourse than to change brands for one with a more enlightened view of customer satisfaction.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They assure me my car is will be ready for pick up tomorrow (Thursday). I sigh with relief...... My replacement car for the replacement car is much better too. What a bunch of chaos this VW experience has been!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts