Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Ya'll,

Today I attempted to do a coolant flush, however I was unable to find the drain point on the under body of the vehicle. I have watched videos online showing the coolant drain process, and it looked simple. Wondering if anyone has done a coolant flush on their Eos... or knows where the drain knob is. A photo would be awesome! Thanks!! :)

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
These days it's cheaper to make radiators without drain plugs. I usually slide off the bottom hose. :) Keep coolant mix away from the radiator core or wash down well if spilt because it is very corrosive when exposed to air.

Draining isn't usually the problem, it's getting the big hose clip off (I bought a hose clip tool) and then refilling without air locks.

Air locks can show as large swings on the temperature gauge or no heater and are bad for the cylinder head. :( You will notice that the cylinder head and radiator may be higher than the coolant reservoir? This is because they need to fit taller engines and radiators, whilst not increasing engine bay and car height.

Therefore, most modern cars now require coolant filling using a vacuum tool. Basically you create a small vacuum in the sealed cooling system, open a valve on the tool and let coolant mix flow in. You will find the tool on auction sites. Mine required an air line and wasn't good at pulling a vacuum. I bought a small 12V vacuum pump and now I just hook it up to the battery.

A reverse positive pressure technique is required for changing fluid and bleeding brakes in ABS systems. It saves all that foot pedalling which doesn't work well anyway.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts