Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I own a 2008 EOS, and have been having the weirdest problem.

The windows work fine when I'm getting in and out, hasn't been a big deal. However, after I get started, the windows will randomly attempt to roll up, even when they are already rolled up completely. It makes the clicking sound when it hits the top, then it rolls down a little, then rolls up, almost as if something is stuck inside.

This happens pretty randomly. Sometimes I can get all the way to work, sometimes it happens immediately on start. Both front windows are affected, the rear windows are fine.

Any ideas? I'm thinking a intermittent short in the sensor, but I'm not convinced because it's both windows.

Macgyver

·
Life is good... so far
1,060 Posts
You say all windows including the two small rear windows do this? If so I would be thinking it to be more of a wiring issue or possibly a failing set of window switches. Usually the window issues happen one window at a time.

·
Mr.
4 Posts
My windows are also a bit crazy,
when I get in the car and close the door the windows roll up about 5mm (1/4")
when starting the engine the windows go down just like for opening a door and back up.
Now sometimes only the passenger window does this, sometimes both.
Other times they go down and then go up in three small movements, something like: down-up-up-up instead of down-up.

I've read something in ELSA about recalibrating windows but had not the time to experiment with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@cb391: Nope, the two rear windows don't do anything, that's why I don't think it's a switch problem. The front windows are the only ones doing it. If it were a switch problem, it would affect either:
1. All Four
2. Only one (maybe two if it was a common mode failure in the door)

Since it's both sides, front, I can't help but think it's a sensor responsible for telling the computer that the window is completely up that is stuck or has fried.

@executivul: I always thought that was normal behavior, because once I let my battery run down and had to force my way into the car. The window didn't roll down automatically 5 mm, so it kinda wedged inside.

But the behavior you describe is similar to what my windows are doing (down-up-up-up), except they do it while I'm driving down the road at 80 mph.

Mac

·
Life is good... so far
1,060 Posts
I would say not sensors because sensors for both windows would have to bad. May not be switches but think it is still some electrical gremlin. could still be switches if moisture got to them or a flaky wiring harness to the doors. I don't think it's the calibration because you say the windows work normally when you open the door. But you could try it. I think it's in the owner's manual. Otherwise I would get the dealer to check it out.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've had something similar happen a couple of times with my old eos - generally running a finger through the seals seems to help

·
Registered
7 Posts
This happend to me when i had a golf. Turned out it was something caused by moisture in the switches

·
Registered
277 Posts
Lubricate seals with Krytox, then reset all windows using the master key in the driver's door lock. This solved all my window problems on my 2008 VW EOS. If the sensors in the windows feal resistance, the pinch protection kicks in and causes the windows to go down.
Try the Krytox on seals and reset the windows with the master key in the driver's door lock, it works.
Lopaka

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fixed!!!

Hi Everyone,

Wanted to update the forum on what the fix was.

Took the car in, as it was still under extended warranty. I've been told (and will be verifying this afternoon) that it was a bad ignition switch causing the problems. This sparked (no pun intended) memories of what sounded like clicking sometimes coming from the center console, which was apparently actual sparking.

So, the issue was that the spark was getting worse, and was causing problems with the windows (which is odd, because the two systems aren't supposed to be connected, but anyways).

If you don't hear anything back from me, this was a successful fix.

Mac :D

·
Quiet~Flight
149 Posts
Thanks for this thread. I bought my car new and from the first day I have had an issue with the driver side window only. It would go up and then back down as if something were blocking the window (pinch protection). I took it into the dealer on Saturday after they had sent off for the part (1 month+ ago). I go to pick up the car and when I put the key into the door lock to roll down the windows, only the drivers door window would go down. All the other windows wouldn't move. They think the new window motor has a new code that they don't have. So, I will wait again for them to contact VW and get the new code.

I also have had the windows flutter while putting the key into the ignition. Might need a new ignition switch, but they want to rule out the other issue first.

/Fun

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear Macgyver,
Thank you for your thread, I also have a 2008 Eos with the Crazy Windows you describe, you mentioned in your final thread that this was fixed by your VW garage under an extended warranty,,,,,How long is this warranty and would I still be eligible for it, do you know?

Many Thanks
Andrew

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Dear Macgyver,
Thank you for your thread, I also have a 2008 Eos with the Crazy Windows you describe, you mentioned in your final thread that this was fixed by your VW garage under an extended warranty,,,,,How long is this warranty and would I still be eligible for it, do you know?

Many Thanks
Andrew
This problem is definitely an "Ignition Switch" problem. Once replaced, all is well. It worked for me as well as hundreds of others.

Sorry that I cannot tell you if it is covered under extended warranty.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Funny... I was in a scirocco the other week and when we shut the doors, they clicked about 10 times as if the windows button was being closed 10 times!

Was very odd!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I own a 2008 EOS, and have been having the weirdest problem.

The windows work fine when I'm getting in and out, hasn't been a big deal. However, after I get started, the windows will randomly attempt to roll up, even when they are already rolled up completely. It makes the clicking sound when it hits the top, then it rolls down a little, then rolls up, almost as if something is stuck inside.

This happens pretty randomly. Sometimes I can get all the way to work, sometimes it happens immediately on start. Both front windows are affected, the rear windows are fine.

Any ideas? I'm thinking a intermittent short in the sensor, but I'm not convinced because it's both windows.

Macgyver
I had this same problem with my 2007 Eos. It is a bad ignition switch. The part cost $26 and a mechanic installed for $100. I had this problem for a year and searched a long time for the answer and went to several garages. Finally found a post on YouTube where someone had found the answer ! Quick fix ! Good luck .

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
Funny... I was in a scirocco the other week and when we shut the doors, they clicked about 10 times as if the windows button was being closed 10 times!
When doors are closed there's a large shock wave going through the body that will shake a suspect ignition switch if it's intermittent. Ignition switch is still the first and cheapest thing to try as others have said.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had this same problem with my 2007 Eos. It is a bad ignition switch. The part cost $26 and a mechanic installed for $100. I had this problem for a year and searched a long time for the answer and went to several garages. Finally found a post on YouTube where someone had found the answer ! Quick fix ! Good luck .
Please post a link to the video. I find videos for complete ignition lock/switch replacement, but that doesn't correspond to a $26 part. Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts