Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered my car yesterday.
Went back to the dealer today, with reg transfer paper work etc. and at the same time ordered cruise control (to be fitted by the dealer) it will cost £150. If I ordered it as a factory fit it would have cost me £270. Is it a different bit of kit or does it just cost more for the factory to fit it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
This interesting as I have used "Cruise" for some 6 years on my Golf TDI PD and find it invaluable, not just for the M'way but also for town driving. When I eventually order my EOS (once the water problem is sorted) I will naturally have Cruise but the pricing option is worth noting. I will investigate and post something later.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cruise control costs

Further to my earlier offering, beware the cruise control price of £150 fitted locally and the more expensive price of £270 from VW. I know we are talking the Eos here but for the new Golf, the computer needs to be multi-functional before "Cruise" can be fitted locally. There apparently is some sort a relay associated wiht the "multi" computer which suports local fit of Cruise but not so with the standard computer. As far as the Eos Sport is concerned, it has the multi-functional computer whereas the EOS does not. Check before you buy.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Further to my earlier offering, beware the cruise control price of £150 fitted locally and the more expensive price of £270 from VW. I know we are talking the Eos here but for the new Golf, the computer needs to be multi-functional before "Cruise" can be fitted locally. There apparently is some sort a relay associated wiht the "multi" computer which suports local fit of Cruise but not so with the standard computer. As far as the Eos Sport is concerned, it has the multi-functional computer whereas the EOS does not. Check before you buy.

I have the £150 cruise control fitted to my EOS sport. Regarding the quoted post above, does anyone else on here have the same car as me? Reason I'm asking is that I wonder if my MFD is working correctly. I've been lead to understand that if you press the button on the end of the lever, you get into a menu to be able to change things like the length of time the interior lights stop on and whether the passenger door unlocks with the first press on the remote.
If I press the button either up or down, it changes the menus, but if I keep it pressed it does nothing. Is it working correctly? Just wondering if having the cruise fitted has altered something.
Ta, Dave

·
Registered
231 Posts
Not sure about the Eos in the UK, but the ones here in the states have the computer controller on the wiper control and the cruise is on the turn signal control. Hope I didn't misunderstand. Or are you saying the aftermarket cruise has made your computer control malfunction?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I asked about this when placing my order last week, why the difference?

The dealer said that the total cost of the £150 cruise control would be £330 after fitting so it was cheaper to get it factory fitted at £270. Maybe you should check with your dealer!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Retro Fitted Cruise Control

Hi
I had my local Volkswagen dealer fit the approved VW cruise control unit to my Eos before I took delivery of the car, and the Total cost supplied and fitted was £150 including the Vat.
The only drawback was that they put a slight mark on the leather steering wheel when removing it to fit the CC unit.
If I had to do it again I would have it fitted at the factory, that way you cant go wrong.
Bill T

·
Registered
107 Posts
I asked about this when placing my order last week, why the difference?

The dealer said that the total cost of the £150 cruise control would be £330 after fitting so it was cheaper to get it factory fitted at £270. Maybe you should check with your dealer!
Look on the pricelist available on the VW website. It is £150 INCLUDING fitting. That's what they charged me. It may be a mistake, but it's there in black and white and should be honoured. Sounds like your dealer has just charged you £120 too much.

Oh, it's on page 7 by the way. The heading shows it includes fitting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bill T or Swordfish,

Any idea on what the difference is between the factory fitted cruis control and the dealer fitted?

·
Registered
65 Posts
:(
Bill T or Swordfish,

Any idea on what the difference is between the factory fitted cruise control and the dealer fitted?
Hi as far as I can tell they are both the same, but as I had mentioned before the steering wheel and other parts have to be removed by the service dept in order to retrofit the cruise control unit and my steering wheel had a slight mark on it when I got it back.
Bill T

·
Registered
242 Posts
I was going to say that all Eos in the U.S. come with cruise control standard, but then I read the post from Pepino and his Eos is equipted different from my 2.0t Sport. I have the MFD control button on the steering wheel and the cruise control is a separate stalk below the turn signal stalk. I took delivery on Nov. 30, 2006.

My dealer called yesterday and said there is a recall to reprogram the computer. Steve

·
Registered
231 Posts
I was going to say that all Eos in the U.S. come with cruise control standard, but then I read the post from Pepino and his Eos is equipted different from my 2.0t Sport. I have the MFD control button on the steering wheel and the cruise control is a separate stalk below the turn signal stalk. I took delivery on Nov. 30, 2006.

My dealer called yesterday and said there is a recall to reprogram the computer. Steve
Ah, I see what you are saying. I don't have the controls on the actual steering wheel (didn't buy the option), so mine is obviously set up differently. So you have two control "sticks" on the left side of the steering wheel? (one for turn signals and then another below that dedicated to the cruise control?) I'm starting to understand there really are bigger differences in trims depending on regions. But obviously I'm no expert! I'm guessing you are in grand junction, CO? So my theory is out...

·
Registered
107 Posts
From what I understand, the "two separate sticks" for cruise control is being phased out. Mid year changes in USA include the cruise control to be fitted on the indicator stalk as standard.

I've read this on another forum, so if it's wrong please don't blame me!!:D

Mine (in the UK) was fitted on the indicator stalk last July.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The cruise control on my 90 Vanagon Carat is built into the turn signal stalk, so going back to that seem a little too retro. In the Carat there is no way to decelerate using to stalk, while you can accelerate by holding in the set button. I like the separate stalk because it is easier to control the speed.

Going back to Pepino's post, yes, there are two stalks on the left side, cruise control just below the turn signal stalk, pull it forward to turn it on, push "set/resume" button on the end, then push up or down to accelerate or decelerate, pull forward to pause, all the way back to disengage. Yes, I am in Grand Junction, Co.

Steve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts