Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Search is your friend. The job requires some specialized tools and VCDS. Not too difficult, but not for the amateur either. I will be tackling this job in the near future - I have the oil and filter already.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, I popped into the local VW dealer to enquire about a DSG service, and it turns out to be about £190, so I've booked it in. A good price for peace of mind.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You can do youself, do a you tube video search for methods. I did the measure how much you drain, refill the same amount, worked great. I did mine last summer. No vcds, I had to buy a socket to remove the drain plug as it wasn't one I had.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Important to do every 40k miles in USA for the extended warranty. Let's just say I've become aware of this on my 2nd hand Eos (okay, 3rd set of hands, or 4th).

If you do it yourself keep the receipt for the parts (fluid and seal)
If you're getting a price 250 or less I'd suggest not worth messing with it yourself. Regardless, get that #$*@ done. #BePoundWise

·
Registered
10 Posts
For the DSG Service interval which states every 40,000 miles - My EOS is 4 years old but only has 30,000 miles on it; I've been doing the annual service maintenance every year. The DSG service is recommended at 40,000 - should I just wait since I only have 30,000 miles on it even though its 4 years old?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hiya, oil suffers with age as well as mileage, I'd get it done straight away. The DSG is sensitive to regular maintenance.

·
Alaskaman
92 Posts
It's not just a 'drain and refill' thing with the DSG. I get mine done for a little less than $200 in the bay area of California, at a very reputable German shop. WAY less than the dealer, I don't have to get dirty, make sure the tranny fluid is up to temperature, measure out, measure in, dispose of fluids and filter, etc. I was an ASE certified mechanic back in the day, and it's still more than I want to deal with, given the penalty for getting it wrong. Stay on the schedule like you would Krytox! A few dollars now saves a bunch in the long run.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Good advice. I agree!! Some things are worth paying to have done.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The job requires some specialized tools and VCDS.
I know it needs a 'special' adapter/filler because incredibly, its filled from the bottom. But its a tube with a fitting that has the same size as the sump plug; a tube; and a fitting that should fit a typical plastic bottle. (I found one for £15 on eBay).

And that the VCDS is needed only to measure the oil temp during refill/level, but you could estimate it with not too much issue.

Is there anything else? How did it go DIY?

It's not just a 'drain and refill' thing with the DSG.
Is this about right:

1) drain
2) replace filter
3) refill with special tool/tube as described above
4) let it find its level once its at a certain temperature

Anything else I'm missing? The service interval for DSG fluid change is 40k miles, not indicated on the instrument cluster (so no need to reset that etc)? Is there any other reset needed in the diagnostics?

·
Registered
151 Posts
A bit disappointed that nobody was able to reply to this, but I just did the DSG fluid change today and post #13 holds - it really isn't that complicated.

It does take ages to get the fluid in though, it was probably around 2 hours all told, due to the trapped air in the transmission slowly bubbling through. I did it using the gravity feed method in the end, I cut the base off an old 1l bottle of gear oil and was able to use this as a funnel. There's 2 ways of determining how much to put in - either measure what comes out and add that + 0.1l; or do the dealer procedure of filling to slight excess then allowing to drain the overflow (at a certain temperature).

I measured 4.6l out, then put 5.05l (I bought 5l + 1l - and needed to break into the 1l bottle) in (but measured ~0.8l excess because I was able to catch the excess when I did the level check), so I'm happy its spot on.

Worryingly, the snorkel was loose but I don't think its actually caused a massive issue, since the way the oil pan works it would have still held most of the oil in okay.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts