Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
we have just purchased our first Eos and first Volkswagen so new to these vehicles. It is a 2008 model with beige and charcoal interior.

I found in the owners manual a section where you can switch on day time running lights by setting the headlamp switch to 0. But nothing happened.

1. do the Australian delivered Eos have DTRL as standard or is that European/North American specs only.

2. if not fitted, can they be retro fitted as OEM rather than fit external aftermarket units.

many thanks
Rodney and Jo 😀😀😀😀😀

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
DRL is a configurable option in the Central Electrics module. They can be switched on using an appropriate diagnostic tool (see the link in my signature). You can configure the front fogs, low beam or main beam to be DRLs.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Given the pain of replacing bulbs in the front fogs on an older car, I'd just fit a pair of Philips led DRLs which is what I did.

In the kit you get reliable leds, 6500K white light that's easier to see in daylight, the electronic controller which links to headlights with auto shutoff, and you align them correctly to tilt upwards into the eyes of a person in front. Adapt the fogs and expect short bulb life (always on), yellow 3K tungsten low visibility light and they point down towards the kerb.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to you both.

The Phillips DRLs are an option as I have fitted these before to three different vehicles. They are superb, especially if they sit in the shadow of the bumper or grille when mounted. That way in bright daylight they still standout, unlike some OEM DRLs which seem to be quite dull.

However I was concerned that when connected, the VW system might see the current drain as a problem and pop up some sort of fault code in the lighting system. Hence a preference to use the OEM VW system.

However, on the EOS, which lamps are used? Would anyone have a photo of them.

I also get the point of the bulb service life, but our lives are much more important than the few dollars you would spend.

Is there anyway they can be configured without a diagnostic tool? Seems a bit weird that it has to be done that way.

Be interested in the answers.

Rodney and Jo 😀😀😀😀😀😀

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
The Philips DRL kit is designed for aftermarket legal retrofit and there is no issue with bulb failure detection because they connect direct to battery power and only use a control wire to the headlamp bulb. Their controller takes care of the timer and detects when the car starts to put them on and turn them off. It is a UK legal requirement that DRLs being 'in your face' are not wired to be 'on' when the headlamps are on i.e at night.

My point about the EOS fog light bulbs is not the cost of the bulbs, but the difficulty and time spent getting to the lamp holders to replace them. Life is too short for the stress of plastics damage and replacing expensive painted parts! Try changing a fog bulb first before thinking about doing an adaptation mod. You may be lucky and could try pulling one out with the small hook tool, but on MY07 the plastic one way location tabs were so brittle I broke one and ended up removing the bumper. Broken fixing tabs are a bummer because there is nothing to hold the trim and you then have to remove the bumper anyway to try and do a repair (difficult). Q.E.D.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts