Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe the VW Eos has a fundamental design fault in that the handbrake cable chafes, wholly unprotected, against the chassis; mine has and my local Skoda/VW dealer is asking me to pay a small fortune to purchase and have a new handbrake cable fitted...surely it will only chafe again if there's no mechanism for holding the cable away from the chassis? Perhaps Volkswagen would like to contact me with a solution please.

Does anyone have any sensible workaround suggestions or should I lobby VW to foot the bill as their design has caused this to happen in the first place?

I own a 2008 VW Eos 2.0 TDI Sport Convertible. :mad:

·
YORKSHIRE PUDDING
141 Posts
They are all convertables.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I believe the VW Eos has a fundamental design fault in that the handbrake cable chafes, wholly unprotected, against the chassis; mine has and my local Skoda/VW dealer is asking me to pay a small fortune to purchase and have a new handbrake cable fitted...surely it will only chafe again if there's no mechanism for holding the cable away from the chassis? Perhaps Volkswagen would like to contact me with a solution please.

Does anyone have any sensible workaround suggestions or should I lobby VW to foot the bill as their design has caused this to happen in the first place?

I own a 2008 VW Eos 2.0 TDI Sport Convertible. :mad:
By using the "Search Function" on this site, I came up with this information. Only took a few seconds to do. ;)

This may link may be of help to you.
http://www.vweosclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11938&highlight=hand+brake+cable

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,664 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had actually done a search and had also found this thread - I'm not a complete numpty ;) - but it doesn't explain why the Eos original design has clearly overlooked the handbrake cable potentially chasing against the chassis and whether this happens to everyone's car! Anyway I've printed it out and will be asking a local mechanic to give me further advice on whether mine is too far gone to resurrect or whether it can be saved with some doctoring and duct tape!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
;)
I had actually done a search and had also found this thread - I'm not a complete numpty ;) - but it doesn't explain why the Eos original design has clearly overlooked the handbrake cable potentially chasing against the chassis and whether this happens to everyone's car! Anyway I've printed it out and will be asking a local mechanic to give me further advice on whether mine is too far gone to resurrect or whether it can be saved with some doctoring and duct tape!
I never insinuated that you are a "Complete numpty"

You may be a partial numpty, but definitely not a"complete" one. Just kidding. :D Actually I am not sure what a "numpty" is but no doubt, it is UK slang for someone less than totally intelligent. :)

You say everyone is having this problem? Actually, I have never had this problem. My Eos is an 09 but since I live in a very nice climate, that may be why.

And................since the Eos will no longer be produced after next year, why bother VW Corp with this issue. They really won't be worrying about it any longer no matter how many people complain.

The reason I referred you to that link was because it explains ways to fix it and since VW will not be producing these cars anymore, a new and improved parking brake cable is highly unlikely. Of course, an aftermarket improvement may pop up someday, but it will, no doubt, be very expensive.

However, should I experience the cable problems that you have and since I enjoy making improvements on just about everything I can, I will enjoy redesigning it myself.:)

In the U.K., have you ever heard of "Tim, the Tool Man Taylor"?

D.I.Y. should have been my my God given initials. ;)

Oh, one more thing. Please do not use Duct Tape!!! It is great for HVAC work but does not hold up in wet, inclement weather.;);)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
'You say everyone is having this problem? Actually, I have never had this problem. My Eos is an 09 but since I live in a very nice climate, that may be why.'

No I didn't!

I actually said...and I quote:
"but it doesn't explain why the Eos original design has clearly overlooked the handbrake cable potentially chasing against the chassis and whether this happens to everyone's car!"

Thanks for your advice. I've made a lot of noise on Twitter and am now in touch with VW direct to see if they can help.

All the best from a perfect sunny day in England! :)

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
'You say everyone is having this problem? Actually, I have never had this problem. My Eos is an 09 but since I live in a very nice climate, that may be why.'

No I didn't!

I actually said...and I quote:
"but it doesn't explain why the Eos original design has clearly overlooked the handbrake cable potentially chasing against the chassis and whether this happens to everyone's car!"

Thanks for your advice. I've made a lot of noise on Twitter and am now in touch with VW direct to see if they can help.

All the best from a perfect sunny day in England! :)
Sorry that I misunderstood you. I guess I read your post a bit too fast.:eek:

And........good luck with your "twittering". :D

I really do not think VW Corp cares. Especially because it is not a problem that the majority of us have to deal with.

If you can get this repaired by VW under warranty, I say, go for it, even if it will happen again due to them using the same old design.

Enjoy the sun and your Eos.:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hooray - there may yet be some power in using social media! Let's hope it's more than just words and there's some practical follow up.

Hi Peta

Thank you for your contact into our Twitter page and providing the details below.
We’ll assist where possible, can you please provide us with your vehicle registration number and we’ll be in touch as soon as possible?

Many Thanks

Social Media Customer Relations Team
Volkswagen UK Customer Services

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Hooray - there may yet be some power in using social media! Let's hope it's more than just words and there's some practical follow up.

Hi Peta

Thank you for your contact into our Twitter page and providing the details below.
We’ll assist where possible, can you please provide us with your vehicle registration number and we’ll be in touch as soon as possible?

Many Thanks

Social Media Customer Relations Team
Volkswagen UK Customer Services
Okay, it has been more than a month since your "Twitter" to VW.

What have they done to improve the P.B. Cable and more specifically, what have they done for you?

BTW, I am still not having any chafing problems but thought it would be a good idea to bring up this old thread for others who are.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts