Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Firstly hoping you are all keeping well amidst the corona pandemic!

I have encountered an issue with my VW Eos.

Driving along at 70mph when I had a sudden loss of power, console flashed indicating Engine Management System Fault Please See Garage' , Glow Plug Sign started flashing.
I beleive the car then went into a 'limp mode', as I was unable to get over 40 mph and struggled on any hills as I got it back to the driveway.
I have plugged a fault code reader into the car, and received the following fault code -> 0065 (Turbo/Super Charger Underboost).
-> No other codes stated.

After leaving the car off for an hour, it was taken back out onto the road and onto the motorway with no issues, was brought up to 80mph and behaved fine, however after 20 minutes of driving, at about 40mph the same thing happened, and the light began flashing, there was a loss of power and so on.

Can anyone suggest the right way to proceed with this?

Is it a complete Turbo change or just the Diverter Valve that needs changing. From my research it seems that the Diverter Valve in these can fail as they do in other VW's. I have taken it to a mechanic who was very shady as to what needs to be changed indicating either it will be a valve of some description, by this I am assuming he meant the Diverter Valve, in which case it would be; £130 + labour. Or the whole turbo which will be significantly more.

And with most work drying up at the moment thats a bit of a worry in terms of costs!

Finally, how complex is it to change the diverter valve on this car? Do i need to raise it up or can i use a jack to get enough clearance, to then remove the underpanels and reach in to replace it? As I thought about trying to just change the diverter first, and if this works then brilliant, if not, then I will take it off to a mechanic to replace the whole turbo.

Thanks very much for your time,

Car Details:

Volkswagen EOS 2009, 2.0L TDI, Diesel, 85K Miles.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I have taken it to a mechanic who was very shady as to what needs to be changed indicating either it will be a valve of some description, by this I am assuming he meant the Diverter Valve, in which case it would be; £130 + labour. Or the whole turbo which will be significantly more.
Many faults even with help from a diagnostics scan cannot be confirmed until work starts. A workshop will not want to change a smaller cheaper part then have you come back complaining the fault has come back. Whatever you may read on the internet, the internet does not have eyes on your car or the skill and experience of a mechanic. If you think you have a small part changed and be charged up for a replacement turbo, mark your existing parts first to check they have replaced what they say. If you are going to argue with an independent mechanic that the internet and you know best, you may get little co-operation. Have you tried a genuine V.W dealer? They may charge more but be less 'shady' if that's what worries you?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts