Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a while, my 2013 roof would not operate, giving a false Close Luggage Cover error. I discovered that if I used my finger to push the luggage cover switch in and out a few times, the error would go away and the roof would operate. Either I pushed too hard one time, or whatever holds the switch in place gave out, but I pushed the switch into its housing, and the roof is now completely inoperable.

Is this a repair I can likely do myself? I’m a decent home repair amateur, diagnosed and fixed different home appliances, but was aided in those repairs by online videos. I haven’t found a video depicting replacement/repair of the luggage cover switch.

Also, if my switch needs replacement, not just reseating in its proper place, can anyone give guidance on ordering the correct part?

·
Registered
8,066 Posts
The big problem with that switch is it only has short wires connecting it to the loom making it easy to get mislocated when fitting it. I lengthed the wire pair on mine. It's only a simple lever type microswitch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well! Couldn’t find any online videos describing this repair, so thought I’d just bushwhack my way through. Those plastic rivets holding the trunk liner in place, those are NOT German engineering. A T20 Torx bit is supposed to fit in them, but I couldn’t get them out that way. A couple I had to just muscle out with a nail puller. I wrenched the trunk liner up enough to feel around, found a dislodged switch, blindly inserted it in the moving plastic piece that makes contact with the luggage cover clip, and . . . !! Roof works again.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
8,066 Posts
If you looked carefully at one, the Torx doesn't do a lot, it's just there to look pretty and fool DIYers who don't read the shop manual. There are loads of forked peg remover tools on Ebay and V.W use them in most of their cars and Audis, so they must be German engineered. The center with the pretty Torx pushes in with fingers, or is tapped in and the fork tool lifts it up.

·
Registered
8,066 Posts

·
Registered
8,066 Posts
If you look carefully at the peg in the center it has annular rings, not a screw thread. Turning helps to seat the pry tool underneath when you lift it, but doesn't screw it out. I don't watch many videos, too many uploaders wanting to feel good posting a video, which isn't always credible information or technically correct. But many trust them with their herd instinct.

Anyway, I explained what you did wrong and there was nothing wrong with German engineering, at least for those fasteners and there are plenty more like that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts