Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a couple of EOS infotainment wiring diagrams showing 5 speakers (ignore the hf tweeters). If this is correct, where do they fit a center speaker? I assume it would be a L+R mono fill.

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
610 Posts
If there is a market with five speakers, the fifth speaker must be for the phone. Even the 10 speaker Dynaudio system doe not include a center channel. Also the Dynaudio mid range grills and locations are present on all models of EOS.

The only options for the North American market were 8 speakers and 10 speakers (Dynaudio). Have seen some Facebook posts from EOS owners in other country's saying they don't have any rear speakers installed, so that would indicate a four speaker only option with the possibility a a fifth speaker used for something other than the audio.

Can you post that diagram, would like to have a look at it.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, will do after I've dug myself out of a 'Rolling Coal' problem on a later VAG common rail diesel. The electrical diagram was in my shop manual which although supposed to be VIN specific, I know includes information for other variants. Some info is Golf related, I'll try and find out what speakers are in Golf V's and sixes. I've seen the DynAudio diagrams and MY07 definitely isn't that wonderful system.

The only place I figured they could put one is the center top of the dash because AFIK there's no space below around the radio and heater area? I was thinking about it because when you run stereo from each door speaker, the center sound image isn't that strong, particularly for phone and satnav and always needs to be offset balanced for the driver.

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
610 Posts
Thanks, will do after I've dug myself out of a 'Rolling Coal' problem on a later VAG common rail diesel. The electrical diagram was in my shop manual which although supposed to be VIN specific, I know includes information for other variants. Some info is Golf related, I'll try and find out what speakers are in Golf V's and sixes. I've seen the DynAudio diagrams and MY07 definitely isn't that wonderful system.

The only place I figured they could put one is the center top of the dash because AFIK there's no space below around the radio and heater area? I was thinking about it because when you run stereo from each door speaker, the center sound image isn't that strong, particularly for phone and satnav and always needs to be offset balanced for the driver.
The Mk5 Golf does not have a center channel speaker either. Even the 9 speaker Fender system does not have a center channel

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I've answered my own question: They show diagrams for their 10 speaker system (Dynaudio?) on two diagrams with 5 speakers each. I saw 5 speakers and thought that was a system. What I have is Bass units in the doors with capacitor coupled hf tweeters, so not much mid range will come out of either and mid range units when fitted are higher up the front doors. I'd like some improvement in mid range because my hearing isn't so sharp, but I don't want the trouble of going to full a DynAudio mod. I'm wondering how different the sound could be if I did the sums and added mid range speakers and passive crossovers just on the fronts?

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
610 Posts
I think I've answered my own question: They show diagrams for their 10 speaker system (Dynaudio?) on two diagrams with 5 speakers each. I saw 5 speakers and thought that was a system. What I have is Bass units in the doors with capacitor coupled hf tweeters, so not much mid range will come out of either and mid range units when fitted are higher up the front doors. I'd like some improvement in mid range because my hearing isn't so sharp, but I don't want the trouble of going to full a DynAudio mod. I'm wondering how different the sound could be if I did the sums and added mid range speakers and passive crossovers just on the fronts?
The non Dynaudio speakers are not high quality by any means. Your best solution is to fit some high end aftermarket speakers. Its a bit of work but very well worth it.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't mind removing the rivetted OE's. After many years inside a door skin and dampness, they are probably past their best anyway - Thanks

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
610 Posts
I don't mind removing the rivetted OE's. After many years inside a door skin and dampness, they are probably past their best anyway - Thanks
Its easy and you can either rivet in new ones or install rivnuts, threaded inserts that are intended to replace rivets and use a screw.

This is what I did for the fronts.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
As you might remember, before I did the full Dynaudio mod I just fitted the front speakers, and the improvement in sound quality was substantial. Of course, if you want to fit the midrange speakers you'd need the crossover configuration to be a bit different to the one I used, but assuming the amplifier in your head unit is up to the job you should be able to get good results.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think that's my option - add the mids to the door panels with passive crossovers. It's got to be better than just the puny HF tweeters.

·
Registered
2015 Volkswagen Eos, Komfort 2.0L
169 Posts
I went to a local audio place that handles the major dealerships in my area including VW and when I asked them that I wanted to have 10 speakers instead of the eight in my Komfort trim, they added a pair of tweeters to the door where the mid range would be in the Executive trim. I had previously upgraded the RNS315 to the RNS510. The sound was amazing.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I already have the stock pair in the front just below the mirror mounts and 2 at the rear. All fed with a series capacitor which isn't ideal. The sound you experience is only as good as your ears and mine have lost the top, which is why mid range higher up the door card is more important for me now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts