Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I ran into an issue with my 2015 VW EOS that my driver side door wouldn't open from within. I toggled back and forth on the lock button and it would light up in the lock position, but not in the unlock position. I put the window down and asked someone walking by if she would try to open the door from the outside. It opened right up.

Any thoughts on possible cause?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
The lock button only lights up in the locked position, there's no light on the unlocked position.

If the handle works from the outside, there must be a mechanical issue somewhere between the inside door handle and the door lock mechanism. The two are joined together by a Bowden cable. This cable could have come unhooked from the door handle, or stretched somehow. The door handle end is easy to check as that just needs the door trim taking off, but getting in to the lock mechanism requires removing the inner door panel.

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
If you can unlock the car from inside using the keyfob remote, then the problem is as aku-aku describes because the remote does not use the mechanical cable link wire from the pull handle. There some plastic parts on the end fitting that can break or detach.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The lock button only lights up in the locked position, there's no light on the unlocked position.

If the handle works from the outside, there must be a mechanical issue somewhere between the inside door handle and the door lock mechanism. The two are joined together by a Bowden cable. This cable could have come unhooked from the door handle, or stretched somehow. The door handle end is easy to check as that just needs the door trim taking off, but getting in to the lock mechanism requires removing the inner door panel.
Yes, from the research I have done and speaking with a VW service tech, I am pretty sure that is the issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you can unlock the car from inside using the keyfob remote, then the problem is as aku-aku describes because the remote does not use the mechanical cable link wire from the pull handle. There some plastic parts on the end fitting that can break or detach.
I actually didn't try the key fob, but when I get back in the car I will try that

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So when I got back in my car after work I drove a short distance until I heard the auto lock engage and then pulled over and turned off the ignition. I counted to three and tried the door and it opened no problem. I did this two more times. Still no problem. Go figure

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
The auto lock stops perps opening the door from outside to steal your Rolex watch, your wife, or the car. :( The lock release lever should always work to get you out, otherwise if you were trapped in the car after an accident and it was on fire, you would be burned to a crisp.:eek:

You may still need the door card off and somebody to look at the release mechanism because it is designed to be simple to be safe and work whatever the electrics are doing. The one exception I can think of is the child/ unlock protection which stops kids from opening the door. I thought it was only on the passenger door, but I might be wrong. You should find this in the driver handbook. There's usually a small hole/slot/lever or something below the lock on the edge of the door. One way is child lock on, the opposite is off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts