Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

It's happened at last with all the heavy rain this evening - got in and got a bit wet. Still happy with the car and love driving it but was just looking to see if anyone else had a leak in the same place (no photos yet as it's chucking it down).

On the drivers side A pillar there's a bit of trim that looks like it's on top of the main trim and is a few millimetres thick coming down from the roof before ending. The drips are coming out of this bit - has anyone had this and had it fixed before now?

I'm guessing it's pinched seals having read the thread on another eos forum and having applied a bit of krytox (the A1 variant in the small 37 quid bottle!!) in advance this didn't seem to do the trick.

Looks like dealer time.

Si

·
Registered
212 Posts
You'll find a number of topics on here about this problem. Some have had all their rubber seals replaced. It is a brand new car, I would take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'd been reading the topics for a while wondering when lol - still - not the end of the world.

Still got the warranty so not going to worry too much at the moment.

(on a separate point - good forum you've got here :))

·
Registered
46 Posts
UK source for Krytox oil.

Having read about potential roof leaks I thought that, as an engineer, it was my duty to do some research!
There is a very thorough description with many photos here:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=786
I hope it is OK to post a link to another forum here btw :) They have done the subject to death and it seems that a wise precaution is to lubricate all the seals with Du Pont Krytox oil; as described in a previous post above, this may not cure every leak but will help, in particular, with the sliding edge of the sunroof as it slips back into contact with the surrounding seal.
Krytox oil is available from VW dealers at £37.55 (inc vat) for 30ml; that is six teaspoons full! This, according to the "other forum" will treat all the seals twice, so let's say you do it every six months, that adds quite a bit to your annual running cost.

So, engineer's head on: where else can I buy Du Pont products in the UK? Answer-
http://www.gbrtech.co.uk/index.htm
Their home page has two links which specifically mention the Eos and similar cars and it shows a photo of the same bottle which VW sells (with a different label on).
Price from GBR: £19.62 (inc vat), quite a difference? There is always a catch though! GBR have a minimum order of £30, so I bought two bottles and paid delivery charge of £3.50 bringing a total of £42.75, this is £5.20 more than VW but.... you get twice as much product!
Hope this is useful.

GBR's phone number is 0118 982 0567

The product is Krytox GPL 105 30ml bottle.

Cheers,
Pete.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info Pete loads of useful info there. I'd found the seal links on the other site and had a go at reforming them but no luck yet - will have to have a proper go when I get some time.

It's definitely the edge of the sunroof - might pluck up the courage to pour some water in there just to prove a point to myself that's the point of entry :)

Cheers.
Si

·
1,129 Posts
Thanks again from me for the info on the lubricant. A cheaper source other than the agent is always worth while knowing about.

·
Registered
215 Posts
....are we letting VW off?

....just a thought having read these posts and others of a similar nature [and despite not having my Eos yet] - are we letting VW off the hook by taking these DIY measures? Surely this should be something that we should all be banging on to them about and getting them to resolve - this isn't a cheap car and they should do whatever they need to do to ensure that the high engineering standards that encourage people towards VW are maintained!

While its a fine line between standard owner maintenance and a mechanical defect, should we not take it for granted that the car will keep out the rain, especially on this damp isle of ours? And especially given the fact that even the oldest car on this forum won't have reached its first birthday yet! I could understand if this was happening to 3 year old plus cars

Though of course I can easily see why anyone would take DIY action in order to protect their investment - and would probably do the same!

Paul:cool:

·
1,129 Posts
I don't think so. Its not a mechanical defect but a question of maintenance. I do however think that the VW dealer should supply the new owner with instructions and the remainder of the bottle of Krytox they should have used prior to delivery. As stated on the other form cited previously.

It also appears that the lubrication of the seals is probably a twice a year occurance and therefore adds significantly to the annual running costs but I feel its a cost we have to bear in order to have a weather type seal with less creaking etc.

If VW were doing this at a service the costs would be at least double their cost of supplying the oil in the first place. This in itself would be a problem due to the long service intervals. Does this then mean that the interim service interval should be reduced to 6 months? It makes you think!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ass covered?

"We recommend that you clean and treat the CSC roof rubber seals regularly".

Page 34 of the Tips and Maintenance booklet. The word "regularly" is in italics. It goes on to describe the process, taking a whole page to do so.

Cheers,
Pete.

·
1,129 Posts
Ass covered?

"We recommend that you clean and treat the CSC roof rubber seals regularly".

Page 34 of the Tips and Maintenance booklet. The word "regularly" is in italics. It goes on to describe the process, taking a whole page to do so.

Cheers,
Pete.
Absolutely, belt and braces coverge. Just have to bite the bullet and pay the price i suppose.

·
1,129 Posts
Having read about potential roof leaks I thought that, as an engineer, it was my duty to do some research!
There is a very thorough description with many photos here:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=786
I hope it is OK to post a link to another forum here btw :) They have done the subject to death and it seems that a wise precaution is to lubricate all the seals with Du Pont Krytox oil; as described in a previous post above, this may not cure every leak but will help, in particular, with the sliding edge of the sunroof as it slips back into contact with the surrounding seal.
Krytox oil is available from VW dealers at £37.55 (inc vat) for 30ml; that is six teaspoons full! This, according to the "other forum" will treat all the seals twice, so let's say you do it every six months, that adds quite a bit to your annual running cost.

So, engineer's head on: where else can I buy Du Pont products in the UK? Answer-
http://www.gbrtech.co.uk/index.htm
Their home page has two links which specifically mention the Eos and similar cars and it shows a photo of the same bottle which VW sells (with a different label on).
Price from GBR: £19.62 (inc vat), quite a difference? There is always a catch though! GBR have a minimum order of £30, so I bought two bottles and paid delivery charge of £3.50 bringing a total of £42.75, this is £5.20 more than VW but.... you get twice as much product!
Hope this is useful.

GBR's phone number is 0118 982 0567

The product is Krytox GPL 105 30ml bottle.

Cheers,
Pete.
Have you applied the oil to your seals yet?

If you have does it eliminate or cut down the creaking from the roof when going over uneven surfaces?
(still waiting on my oil to arrive)
Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
After I seen how much VW here in Texas charges ($95 U.S.) for a tiny bottle of lubricant my husband did some research and found this posted on another site...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?cmd=print&id=2819603

GM sells same stuff with different name for much cheaper...and then he found this web site which sells for cheaper than GM even. :)

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com and entered the part number and their selling it for $32.49.

GM PART # 3634770
CATEGORY: Vehicle Care
PACK QTY: 1
CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $54.81
OUR PRICE: $32.49

Total cost with shipping, etc is $42.44

Needless to say we are getting it from here and saving mucho dinero. LOL

Wanda

·
Registered
45 Posts
After I seen how much VW here in Texas charges ($95 U.S.) for a tiny bottle of lubricant my husband did some research and found this posted on another site...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?cmd=print&id=2819603

GM sells same stuff with different name for much cheaper...and then he found this web site which sells for cheaper than GM even. :)

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com and entered the part number and their selling it for $32.49.

GM PART # 3634770
CATEGORY: Vehicle Care
PACK QTY: 1
CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $54.81
OUR PRICE: $32.49

Total cost with shipping, etc is $42.44

Needless to say we are getting it from here and saving mucho dinero. LOL

Wanda
Forgot to post what GM was charging...their price is $54.81

·
Registered
27 Posts
Let me know how it works out applying the lube. I wouldn't need it much here in San Diego (less than 3" of rain this year...OUCH!) but I'm sure it would help with dampening the minor squeek/rattles of the roof over rough roads.

·
Complete Carnut
1,553 Posts

·
1,129 Posts
Looks like the Krytox is a good recommendation then.

Got mine today so going to try to do all the seals this weekend, weather permitting. Will post my experiences.

cheers

·
1,129 Posts
Krytox experience

Looks like the Krytox is a good recommendation then.

Got mine today so going to try to do all the seals this weekend, weather permitting. Will post my experiences.

cheers
Well, got the Krytox out and lubricated all the seals, especially the sunroof seal to the winscreen. I found it difficult to stop getting the stuff onto the paint work. Especially when working with the whole roof half-way through its opeartion to access the other bits.

Because you are using your fingers to spread the stuff around its nearly impossible to stop getting it on to the glass as well.

I thought at first no problem, it will just shampoo off. It doesn't, all that happens is the excess (a little goes a very long way) ends up over more of the paint leaving oily smears on glass and paint.

The solution was to use polish (Mer) on the paint and glass allow to dry and buff off, all traces of smearing gone.

If you are going to lubricate your seals use the stuff very sparingly and do it before you wash and wax the car. The big problem I was having was the creaking above my head from the sunroof when on uneven roads or tight bends. The application of the Krytox has cured the problem at least for the moment, for how long we will have to wait and see.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I applied with a Q-tip (cotton swab). A little is lost on the tip but I think I used less with this method. I applied the krytox in small drops not a long line. Let the krytox soak in then close. If you close your roof right away, the rubber may be sticky.

·
1,129 Posts
I applied with a Q-tip (cotton swab). A little is lost on the tip but I think I used less with this method. I applied the krytox in small drops not a long line. Let the krytox soak in then close. If you close your roof right away, the rubber may be sticky.
That's a good idea. I just did what was stated on the other forum but you do end up with oily hands. I will try the cotton bud next time, especially for the bits inside the seals.

Cheers

·
Registered
46 Posts
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hazard Warning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My oil came with a special applicator, which is a bottle top with a sort of sponge thing(!), very easy to apply, little mess, also tried doing it with finger, hard work but good way of "finishing off".

HERE IS THE HAZARD BIT: IF YOU LEAVE THE ROOF IN CERTAIN PARTIALLY OPEN/CLOSED SITUATIONS IT CAN MOVE BY ITSELF, EVEN WITH THE KEY REMOVED. IT WILL "INCH" DOWN INTO THE STOWED POSITION.

PLEASE BE AWARE OF THIS AND KEEP FINGERS OUT OF PLACES WHERE THEY COULD GET TRAPPED. I READ SOMEWHERE THAT IF THE ROOF IS LEFT PARTIALLY SHUT, AFTER 8 MINUTES IT WILL CLOSE ON IT'S OWN. Mine did not do this but did do the inching thing. As an engineer I am very cautious about putting body parts into places where they can get chopped off- please be aware of this potential hazard! :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts