Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first experience of a leak on our 2007.

Wifey drives it most of the time. Today, sitting as a passenger with her driving in the rain, I could see and feel water dripping through the door glass, down into the door skin, front carpet and my knees. I looked over to the driver side and that was similar, but not as bad.

I can see the problem is poor design. The top section of the door glass seal in the roof section is formed as a U Channel. But the front section in the A frame relies mostly on surface contact with the top edge of the door glass, because the glass has to pull away when the door is opened. But I think they could have tried to get a seal profile that would come up against the inside surface of the glass.

What to do about it? Well Krytox isn't going to fix it. I fed some thin paper in whilst closing the door and there was very little friction between the glass top edge and seal along the front edge.

The door glasses are aligned according to spec. First I'll try raising the glass a little to get better contact with the seal, even if that means setting the glasses just on or outside the lower marks.

As a last resort I might try fastening some 20mm wide adhesive backed black foam rubber to the front section of the seal. As the glass comes up, the top edge should pinch into it if it is sufficiently soft.

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's Fixed now!

O.K I got a fix on the leaking passenger side door glass now.:)

There are certain dimensions for the door and rear glass positions which are pretty important.

Since I've already replaced regulators and never touched the rear glasses, I've assumed those are o.k - their marks at the top of each glass are in the correct position.

The front door glasses are a different story. You can have the marks at either end of the glass correct, but the glass can be too close to the rear glass and further out of the front seal or not making contact (thin paper test). The VW spec. for the spacing between the front and rear glasses should be 9mm +-1mm. But in all of this what I think also matters is the thin paper 'post it note' grip test on the closed glasses.

Altering the height and top tilt to get the engraved marks correct is fairly straight forward: Drop the glass to the service position (right down), remove the 2 plugs in the bottom of the door and adjust 1 or both 6 point spline adjusters on each lifter.

However, when you start this the front to rear glass spacing gets messed up. The front door glasses have two largish holes in the glass and the bolts fixing the lifter clamps to the glass can each be slackened allowing the glass to be pushed forwards (in my case) to achieve the 9+- 1mm spacing. VW provide 2 grommets about 1/3 down from the top of the inner door card, so it should be just a matter of removing the outer door card, temporarily plug in the glass motor switch and inch it down to access the clamp bolts at each end of the glass.

Unfortunately, in my case the glass had no more forward adjustment in the clamps. A real pain, but you can get some more by removing the inner card and motor plate screws, slacken off the 4 bolts fixing the vertical regulator tracks, then push the glass forwards as far as it will go, tighten the regulator fixing bolts then re-adjust on the glass clamps. There is a tendency for the glass to stick to the clamps and want to set itself rearwards, so you have to give it some pushing back and forth before trying the regulator track bolts You don't want to slacken the glass clamp bolts too much either and have parts fall down, lost forever in a black hole!

Before I started I had a 2 mm front/rear glass gap on the badly leaking passenger side and 6mm gap with small leak on the driver side.

Now the passenger side front/rear glass gap is 8.5mm, top markes are aligned and the car passes the paper grip and hose tests. All that is left is to tweak the driver side a little.

I worked a little Krytox into the vertical seal between the front and rear glasses. Looking with a torch in the dark I can see the front glass making good contact with that seal. If it wasn't I would have to look closely at the shuts and front door hinge adjustment.

Since the door glass height and tilt can only be adjusted in the bottom service position, there is quite a lot of up/down window motor operations. You can expect it to cut out. Don't panic, leave it to rest for 5 minutes, key off and on and the motor sensor will reset.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts