Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Don't think I would be happy to have my roof able to operate while driving at 30mph, considering VW dont recomend you operate the roof whilst moving at all, makes you wonder what sort of forces will be at work on the boot lid operating mechanism when it is open to accept the roof at those speeds.

Paul

·
Registered
18 Posts
I pick mine up in 3 weeks time. Do you have to be at dead stop to operate the roof?

·
Registered
84 Posts
The salesman at the dealership told me that VW don't recomend operating the roof above 1mph, don't know how true it is but 30mph sounds a bit fast to me.

Paul

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've heard of the roof modules in other forums and the word is that VW may void warranties if used. The biggie is that they may refuse any service on the roof if diagnostic programs detect the module (which it is detectable).

For peace of mind I would rather stop just because the roof weighs 160lbs and moving/wind/rocking would or could damage motors... and I bet the motors are not cheap!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pepino,

I agree 100% not to mention the fact that as you put the top down at 30+ mph you basically create a nice sail for your car and the chance that something gets bent and screwed up.

·
Registered
113 Posts
what a stupid idea to open / close the roof at 30mph!......if you want to break your car, buy something cheap like the peugeot, not an eos!!

We love out eosses to much to think about anyone breaking the roof off at speed! :(

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hardtop mods

I actually bought one of the modules, but am returning it due to concerns about warranty issues.

The idea of putting the roof down with the remote was really nice, as was the "one touch" button usage (instead of holding it down). But, for a car that costs what this one did, I'm not ready to toss out the warranty (especially on a relatively new car and top). I never intended to move the top while driving at any speed (that was just too crazy a risk, in my opinion).

I trust the mod company, they've been around forever and my brother-in-law is using the mod on his porche right now, but, that car is out of warranty now... mine isn't. :)

I did a fair bit of research on it too. I even sourced out the factory parts so that I could cleanly hook in the mod with "simple disconnects of an extension wiring harness" rather than moving pins from connector to connector. That was all great until my local dealer showed me how they can "see" when devices are connected/disconnected from the CAN bus system. So... Unless you are willing to risk the warranty... I'd stay away from the modules.

Did I mention that I have one for sale? <cough cough> :)

I was also getting ready to purchase the bluetooth adapter and CAN bus interface unit that lets the "phone" steering wheel button be used to control bluetooth phones... but, it has the same warranty-voiding limitations as the top controller.

I have four dealers within a "close" range of my home. I talked to all their service managers directly. Every single one said that if a non-factory component was connected to the bus, that I'd risk voiding warranties on any factory part that depended on that bus. (windows, roof, radio, trunk release, etc etc etc)

Oh, did I mention that I have a roof controller for sale? <cough cough> lol

still, gotta love the EOS. Amazing bit of work (even without the bluetooth and remote top control)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think it would be fab to have a remote fob to lower the roof but i am also of the opinion that i don't want to invalidate the warranty......so sorry, no purchaser here! Sure you will get a buyer for it though!

Try putting it on ebay and set a reserve price.....see what happens! :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
I agree that it would be nice to have a remote open option on the fob, but that's it. Other remote convertible tops are IR transmitters and you have to stand within a couple of feet from the car for it to work (i.e. mercedes SL and SLK hardtop series). I do believe this would be the firt RF transmitter to open the top from some distance... such as walking to your car from the office. It would be nice to have the car opening as I am walking to it.

Wait.

OK. It'd be nice. but who am I kidding... not like I am going to slide down a pole, run to the car (as it is opening) hop over the door and land in the seat while tossing my work items in the back to quickly speed off to save lives... when... I'm just going home.

Nah... I'm fine.:D

(still, ups on the cool factor)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I agree that it would be nice to have a remote open option on the fob, but that's it. Other remote convertible tops are IR transmitters and you have to stand within a couple of feet from the car for it to work (i.e. mercedes SL and SLK hardtop series). I do believe this would be the firt RF transmitter to open the top from some distance... such as walking to your car from the office. It would be nice to have the car opening as I am walking to it.

Wait.

OK. It'd be nice. but who am I kidding... not like I am going to slide down a pole, run to the car (as it is opening) hop over the door and land in the seat while tossing my work items in the back to quickly speed off to save lives... when... I'm just going home.

Nah... I'm fine.:D

(still, ups on the cool factor)
Now that i would pay money to see! Lol! :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was also getting ready to purchase the bluetooth adapter and CAN bus interface unit that lets the "phone" steering wheel button be used to control bluetooth phones... but, it has the same warranty-voiding limitations as the top controller.

I have four dealers within a "close" range of my home. I talked to all their service managers directly. Every single one said that if a non-factory component was connected to the bus, that I'd risk voiding warranties on any factory part that depended on that bus. (windows, roof, radio, trunk release, etc etc etc)

Oh, did I mention that I have a roof controller for sale? <cough cough> lol

still, gotta love the EOS. Amazing bit of work (even without the bluetooth and remote top control)
Here in Australia VW is fitting a Bluetooth Phone kit to Golf, Jetta and Passat. The Eos has not been released yet, it is due next Month. I haven't been able to get many details from the Dealer (What a surprise :()

However I know it is not a factory option and so suspect it is a Parrot unit with and Audicom steering wheel adapter. It is fitted by the dealer and approved by VW Australia and hence covered by waranty.

The link is here -

http://www.volkswagen.com.au/pdf/Bluetooth.pdf

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ive tried putting my roof up moving along in traffic. You cant put the roof up at any speed at all....Have to be stationary

·
Owl Member
265 Posts
Ive tried putting my roof up moving along in traffic. You cant put the roof up at any speed at all....Have to be stationary
Hi Laura,
When you say you cant do it is it because the electrics dont allow it or it feels unstable. I find it hard to imagine the roof is so fragile that it cant be operated at say 10-15mph. Normally an item is engineered to operate well above its normal conditions. I agree that 30mph sounds too much but surely it would work at 10 -15 mph.
Cheers, David

·
Registered
84 Posts
I tried to put my roof down today while reversing out of a parking bay and it wouldn't operate, got a message on the dash display saying "speed too fast", I held the control down and it only started to operate when I came to a complete standstill.

Paul

·
Registered
104 Posts
Electronics wont allow the roof to be moved into convertible mode when going along at any speed. You can do the sun roof.

Laura

·
Complete Carnut
1,553 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
25 seconds

thats all it takes to put it up or down. it's tough i know, but think about it. we have become peeps of wanting instant everything..... i can remember when the microwave first came out.... ahh a hot dog in 60 seconds.. wow! now i stand there tapping my foot waiting. funny how that happened. but just take a deep breath and relax, and get into that great ride mode.... it works:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Modifying to allow opening on the move is asking for trouble, even if a low road speed is specified. It is airspeed that determines the extra forces involved, not road speed. Press the button when driving at 30mph into a 20mph breeze = 50mph airspeed without you realising it - surely enough to overload any hinge mechanism.
The 'operate when stationary' safeguard seems eminently sensible!
Noel

1 - 20 of 21 Posts