Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

Recently picked up a 07 sport T FSI 2l witk 92k on the clock. Amazing condition with a full service history. I was pleasantly surprised with the speed of this car. With it being a turbo I thought I would look at ECU remapping costs, I stumbled across a site called superchips. They are offering a remap that boasts 237bhp for £266 at your home in the uk.

Is this a good company? Also if I went for this would it damage the engine faster, would it need more services?

Last thing I want to do is damage the car as the condition is amazing.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
169 Posts
Forced induction motors are already under stress. Increasing boost and/or installing a larger turbo will definitely add more stress to everything in the drive train. ECU remapping can net really good HP gains, much more than a NA motor.

If it were me, I would want to know how they are achieving the gains, a small increase in the boost from the turbo or a large increase? If they are just tuning the car for a small boost and optimizing it for higher octane gasoline, then you might be safe.

A cold air intake system coupled with a free flowing exhaust is another avenue to free up some HP.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The engine is shared with the Mk5 Golf GTI. There is a ton of info on upgrades - not on this site, but other forums etc. The engines can take a bit of tuning but for further gains, of course there needs to be mechanical upgrades as well as just the software/ECU remap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies, appreciated.

Are we talking more air to the engine? Turbo Intercooler? Tbh I am very happy with the stock performance of this turbo version. I just saw the ecu remap was £266 on offer, but if it is £266 then a turbo intercooler etc it probably is not worth it.

Without going into to much detail, in the uk if I was to spend 266 on the remap to get 237bhp. How much would you roughly say I need to spend on various upgrades to the car to actually achieve 237bhp?

Thank you again.

·
Registered
85 Posts
A stage 1 tune from a reputable tuner is the best bang for buck on these engines, there are some pretty good power and torque gains to be had. As these same engines are tuned by VW to achieve higher power outputs in other vehicle models a stage 1 tune on an engine in good condition will not be detrimental to the engine in terms of life expectancy (assuming you are not going to drive it like a racing car of course)!

Superchips have been around for a long time, I know a number of people who have installed their tunes and are happy with them, their tunes are a little more conservative than some other tunes. I purchased a tune from Superchips myself but had to return it as later models had an encrypted ECU and I could not download the tune to the ECU (mine is 2014 model 155TSI). I then had a local tuner load an Underground Performance tune and I'm over the moon with it, the mid range torque is exceptional.

It is true that any performance mod will increase the load on the drivetrain but I've not known anyone that fitted a stage 1 tune have a serious engine/drivetrain issue. Brakes on the Eos (at least on Australian spec vehicles) are very substantial and are more than adequate for the increased power. Of course, once again it depends on how you drive it but in my experience, I suspect you would have to do something pretty silly for them to be inadequate.

Reactions: voxmagna

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
A stage 1 tune from a reputable tuner is the best bang for buck
Agreed. Looking at advertized horsepower claims and what it costs is not the way to go. Think first about stress on the engine. An ECU software tune for +25hp or + 80hp is the same amount of work, but there's a bigger engine stress factor. The factory tune for most V.W engines has some latitude because they want their engines to give a consistent 'average' performance in all countries, altitudes and a wide range of fuel quality. A stage 1 tune is generally just an ECU code change and pushes the power and torque up a bit to use this margin, without needing significant changes to engine parts. Go higher than this and some expensive mods are required and engine life can be compromised. Choose a tuner that can offer the performance versus fuel economy options. You can't have both, but they may offer one or the other, or a half way compromise.

EOSSydney hit the later (post 2010?) Bosch tri-core ECU reflash problem and couldn't do or risk a DIY reflash at home. But a decent tuning shop can do it with Alienware software tools by opening it up on the bench. If they are paying for the Alientech licence, they have access to tried and tested tuning files. That's a lot better than a smart kiddy using WINOLS to create untried custom files from their bedroom. If a tuner has a good reputation, consider removing the ECU (easy to do) and doing it by mail. It takes a few days but you may get a better price?

IMHO a Stage 1 tune is something that gives that extra performance when you need it and isn't for racing around a track. Be aware that once an ECU is tuned with non-V.W software, if you take your car to a Stealer and it gets a diagnostics scan, they will know and without telling you, your car 'may' come back as stock! Always get copies of your before and after tuning files from the tuner and see what guarantees they give if you need the tune put back.

Be aware that free ECU tuning files you might find trawling the internet are 'Generic'. Your ECU is actually personalized with data and options specific to your car VIN. An ECU tune whether done by mail order or not, should customize your original ECU and keep these settings. Some local tuners may include dyno testing and fine tuning which you probably wouldn't need for Stage 1. The number of times an ECU is reflashed is permanently stored in the ECU and cannot be spoofed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So... update.

I had superchips turn up, who actually use remap kings for the tuning. He plugged my car in and it had a low boost pressure fault, so he left telling me to fix it before he can do any work.

Took it to the garage, I had a full service, back brakes changed, cam belt plus water pump changed, new diverter valve.

Guy is coming back tomorrow for the remap. Really looking forward to it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts