Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, just bought VCDS to help troubleshoot my perpetual roof faults. Running the diagnostics I came across this engine fault code, anybody seen I before or have any ideas?

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Classic clogged EGR fault that could get worse and eventually put on the CEL warning, particularly if it's diesel (you don't say). Google V.W EGR Valve.

·
Registered
963 Posts
The part number for the controller is for a CR diesel. I googled briefly to see if my EGR cleaning howto would help, but the EGR valves for the CR diesels look quite different.

@Robsroom you might want to add your engine code when searching. Chances are someone's done a video of it.

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
There are plenty of diesel EGR horror photos. I've done the later common rail diesel EGR and 'Cleaning' isn't the simple task it sounds. Basically the whole emission recirculation system can get badly clogged with sticky treacle like carbon gunge and 'cleaning' means going as far as the inlet manifold and valves. The CR engine also has a heater which adds another complication. These problems occur mostly on diesels used for short distances and cold starts. A new EGR on Fleabay isn't hugely expensive. I bought one as insurance, but was able to clean up the old one. Trying simple additives or spray cleaners won't work and can cause more problems. High pressure nut shell blasting can avoid dismantling parts and will reach the inlet valves, I went the dismantling route.

The fault gets put on when the motorised flap sticks. Its position is read at ignition on and if it's stuck part open and not at the zero stop, a fault code will be given.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info folks! Indeed its the 2.0 TDI used for short journeys on cold days here in Aberdeen! Ive no idea how often the fault occurs, or even when this fault occurred? Not sure if its possible to identify that with VCDS? Just getting started with the software. Any idea what the ‘tested since memory clear means’?

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Clear the fault code then rescan after ignition off/on and then each week to see if it comes back. Don't clear the fault code then after each scan it should tell you how many fault 'events' ocurred since the fault code was last cleared? Diagnostics only gives you information which may be an early warning for you, or if you are lucky a one off glitch that doesn't come back. It doesn't hold the wrench and tear down your engine!

If the EGR problem gets worse the CEL light may come on and stay on. If you ignore it and keep driving some miles later, you will get 'limp mode' and won't be going anywhere fast. This fault rarely gives driver feedback of something wrong until you get limp home mode, wrench warning and 'take to garage'.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts