Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
I just had this off the wall idea for an EV: The car has the electric motor and controller but the battery is inside a trailor hooked up with a towing hitch. You have two of these, one is always at home being charged (e.g from solar/wind or grid) and the second is hitched and running the car. Battery size, capacity, and range is what you can afford and not limited by space to fit on the car. If the grid goes down, you also have an emergency power source.
Rather than have the battery in the trailer, have a good generator to charge your car on the go.

·
Registered
8,639 Posts
I thought I had a non-eco solution: Buy a 15kVA diesel generator, run it on low tax red diesel to fast charge your EV. The problerm is U.K Gov, removed the tax advantages on red diesel for use in generators!

·
Administrator
2,573 Posts
I thought I had a non-eco solution: Buy a 15kVA diesel generator, run it on low tax red diesel to fast charge your EV. The problerm is U.K Gov, removed the tax advantages on red diesel for use in generators!
I have installed a 10Kw solar panel array and 3 Tesla Powerwall Li-ion batteries at my partner's home to effectively go off-grid for our household power and for EV battery charging - only problem with this set-up is the miserable feeed-in tariff of $0.05 per Kw for power sold at $0.38 to consumers.

The privatised electricity supply companies get away with this as the installed solar power capacity in NSW significantly exceeds day time usage and our antiquated grid based on their coal-fired power stations cannot effectively distribute surplus power interstate and, so far, few large-scale storage batteries have been installed to store the surplus solar power for night time use unlike South Australia which is 100% solar powered from solar panels with high capacity battery storage facilities to meet night-time and extreme usage periods. To make things worse, customers providing solar power to the grid have to pay substantially higher fixed monthly grid connection fees than non-solar users.

My problem at the moment is the waiting time for long-range EV's is well over 12 months from ordering and prices are very high due to the demand - my trusty Mazda CX5 diesel will be needed for a least another 2 years until new vehicle delivery time reduce to normal levels. With a highway fuel consumption around 6.5litres/100km which is our main type of travel, it is low-cost transport even when we are paying $2.40 per litre due to high demand for the large Singapore refineries that now supply most of our petrol and diesel fuel as most of our local refinery capacity has been shut down due to the cheap fuel available from the huge Singapore refineries.

I have a 6.5KVA petrol generator for blackouts as we are prone to supply outages from storms and based on our experience since the solar system was installed, this is capable of covering our usage and battery charging when needed if we go off-grid. Only problem is I will have to modify the muffler for night-time use so the neighbours can sleep in peace when night-time battery charging is needed.

·
Registered
8,639 Posts
Before I found out fuel would be expensive I looked at some used large diesel generators advertised as 'Quiet'. Quiet is a relative term. If you live in the outback with no city noises, even 35dBA can appear loud. These so called 'quiet generators' were enclosed inside a sound proof box, but I don't know what they did with the muffler.

·
Administrator
2,573 Posts
Before I found out fuel would be expensive I looked at some used large diesel generators advertised as 'Quiet'. Quiet is a relative term. If you live in the outback with no city noises, even 35dBA can appear loud. These so called 'quiet generators' were enclosed inside a sound proof box, but I don't know what they did with the muffler.
Vox - we live both in a small village on the Mid-North NSW coast and also own an apartment in Sydney where we stay when having medical treatment not available locally - was 2000 residents, now 7500 and likely 10000+ next year as people get fed up with congestion in the major cities and "head bush" to get some peace and quiet forgetting they are contributing to the future destruction of what they hoped to achieve.

The "sound proof " box uses a separate large expansion chamber lined with sound and vibration insulation with a large diameter second muffler and exhaust after the OEM muffler to further reduce the noise level. Made properly, they are very effective - small versions are used for RV mobile generators used in camp grounds.

·
Registered
8,639 Posts
Diesel fuel in the U.K is now nearly £2 per liter! You have plenty of sun and have gone the solar panel route - quiet and planet friendly, not so sure about the batteries and materials in a system though. What kind of solar system would you need to fast charge an EV at 12.5kW for an hour+? Would that be doable with large capacity batteries and a solid state 3 phase phase inverter? I suspect you would need a field full of solar panels. Can you see a future when your gas stations in isolated places have large solar panel arrays capable of charging E.Vs.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts