Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2ltr TDI 2010 It requires a recall. Not had a call from VW should I?

What about compo im a UK customer. Any advicet

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Presumably you checked on the VW website and your car is confirmed affected?

As usual, EU and UK owners probably won't get the same comp deals as in the USA. I can't imagine the manufacturers who generate lots of profit in Europe giving cash handouts unless they are pushed to the wall. The legal situation in USA is different because their regulators can impose huge fines on corporates for malpractice.

We have another newer different vag brand and have received a couple of 'holding' letters, but no action. I'm not sure if they got our contact data from the dvla or from 1 visit we made. You should get yourself on the local dealership database if you want to be in the paper trail.

i think there are a couple of U.K law firms putting together a list of new clients to start a class action. But I suspect it will be a cash cow for them with less getting back as comp for affected owners. In civil cases like that I gather you only need to get sufficient evidence to show probable cause of losses and a failure on their part to provide timely remedial correction. The newer your car and the larger the drop in resale value the better your chances. If VW kick this into the long grass for 5 or 10 years, it will be harder to prove the losses incurred. I'm waiting for somebody with the right evidence to start a Small Claims action when their argument for providing an effective solution with no impairments in a reasonable time (not just sending holding letters) won't wash with the Judge.

Fortunately MY07 EOS is the earlier (and simpler) BMM diesel so they won't be messing with it.:)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've had a holding letter. Originally when I checked on the website mine was OK, but I consequently received a letter from VW telling me it wasn't. In June I spoke to my local dealer and was told they were still waiting for instructions. It does feel as if VW are hoping it will all go away.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
I read in the news this week that used VW car prices are still holding strong. There could be many reasons for that. What concerns me is after they apply a fix and test facilities get to put the modified cars back on test, there could be a reaction in used car prices :mad: and a surge in remaps.:)

When a company designs a car to sell on performance competing against rivals and claims eco compliance, I can't accept any subsequent fix will leave the car the same. If it did they would not have needed the cheat - or am I just being over suspicious?

If the official TDi cheat fix was equivalent to a Stage 1 remap with 40 more horses, better fuel economy and still satisfied their eco rules I would be very happy.:)

What is sad is that your Bluemotion in cities is loads better than the older cars. But the regulators don't look at the overall Eco benefit - just whether they count the right number of beans in the exhaust assuming it is exhausting all the time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've now received a letter from VW asking me to book my EOS in for the software correction. Has any one had it done yet? Were there any negatives?

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Fortunately MY07 Tdi Eos has the older simpler engine. However, we have just had a recall letter for another VAG brand. Changes to the engine computer and their effect would be extremely difficult to predict unless the car was tested before and afterwards by an engine testing laboratory or a company with tuning expertise and a rolling road dynamometer. Eventually there will be somebody with that kind of equipment who will do the before and after tests.

Until then you have to rely on their letter which has promises which if not kept could be used in a class action law suit.

My letter for a 2l EA189 TDi says:

" The software upgrades the engine management system in your affected vehicle by implementing elements such as an enhanced fuel injection pattern. The software update applies these measures without adverse affects to the service life of the engine and its components. To achive this, we are using advances in diesel combustion technology which were not available at the time your vehicle was manufactured."

They also say:

"Following completion of testing (of the mod) they confirm that there will be no change to vehicle performance, maximum torque or noise levels. The performance data already published for the vehicle, including fuel consumption values and CO2 emissions will also remain unchanged."

I'm not sure if this would make the car acceptable in heavy congestion areas like Central London if local authorities are pushed to meet air pollution requirements.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yup! My letter says the same. Will probably get it done in the next month or so,and report back

·
Registered
109 Posts
My recall letter has arrived......

"It's time for your vehicle to have its EA 189 NOx emissions service action applied"

"You'll be reassured to hear that independent testing authorities have confirmed that there will be no negative impact on engine performance, maximum torque, fuel consumption, noise and CO2 emissions as a result of having this update applied."

I'll book it in and report back.......

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
The guys on the Tiguan forum with 2.0 TDI DSG engines have reported rough running and noisy engines after having the recall done, how about the EOS has anyone had similar issues after the software update. The reason I am asking is because I have just had the recall letter and I am holding off till I hear there are no issues with both my Tig and EOS.

Mick

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Had it done on wifeys Skoda. On the surface it appears much the same but low down revs I think it lacks a bit of grunt. Still it's now DVLA approved and what happens next is anybody's guess. :)

After their map fix they sent out a letter mentioning a few things wrong (which I knew about) and said it was due a cam belt change based on date. What they also said was if they did it they would do any software updates! Don't know if that means their ECU fix is partial or not. :confused: But if you have had a re-map done, you would probably lose it. If I have to use a Stealer (rare) I would always choose an independent where I can set my own terms.

MY07 EOS TDi is not in the recall program and I'm really pleased it doesn't have so much junk wrapped around the engine or the later Bosch TriCore ECU. :)

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I suppose I could get the recall done and then get it re mapped after lol.

Mick

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
There in one! The prob. with these tricores is re-mapping is usually done 'open box'. The re-map firms may offer a free re-map if the map gets written over by the Stealer, but you never know if the firms will be around when you might need them again and they have your original image. The Kessy kit costs a bit, although there are some cheap clones about. I wouldn't let them do it unless you come away with unlocked pre and post map image files. At least you have a chance with another firm.

If you own the remap hardware, the cheapest and safest route is a custom re-map file from your own ECU image if the re map is from a good credible source. At least then you can restore it yourself or restore the OE. That's what's nice about the older pre tricore ECU's, all you need is an OBD cable dongle, a file and laptop.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Upgrade done

Bit the bullet and had the upgrade a couple of weeks ago. There doesn't seem to be any obvious difference. I have a suspicion it may be changing up on slightly lower revs (DSG) but acceleration seems about the same overall. MPG could be a fraction better whilst I'm doing short journeys around town. Not any noisier. I got a gift- nice umbrella,pen, badge, key ring! I still don't understand how they can claim that there is no change to performance, consumption or emissions from the original spec. I still love my car though can't wait for the next dry day as we need a new waterbutt and need to put it on the back seat with the roof down:)

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
I got a gift- nice umbrella,pen, badge, key ring! I still don't understand how they can claim that there is no change to performance, consumption or emissions from the original spec.
I got a rear seat holder for a portable player. Since I rarely have passengers it wasn't that useful to me. :(

If you read up on VW engine tuuning you will find a Stage 1 tune involving nothing more than an ECU re-map (just like you have had done) gives more power and better mileage but questionable emission performance. That suggests that their 2l TDis as stock can easily do more but from what I read they have to de-tune to cover different grades and quality of gas. What is also strange is the independent map tuners claim emissions performance on dyno testers improves with a tuned engine. What we don't know is if they mean it improves at the revs and speeds required to pass the tests!

I think the real problem VW have is with the smaller TDi engines where they don't have the same power overhead to work with, but still have to get emissions through the tests. MY07 EOS is giving me 52-53 mpg for high speed long trips. If I were to drop down to 60 mph it would give me 55 mpg. I'm happy with that. :)

·
South Australian Owner
186 Posts
Just got mine done in Australia. To be honest it feels perhaps a better drive after they did it. Might be my imagination though, as I needed to fix a faulty Exhaust gas pressure sensor as the Check Engine light was coming on intermittently. Diesel consumption figures do not seem any different so far.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts