Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I'm a newbie to the forum, and the EOS.
Since I bought the car 3 months ago, I always noticed that the engine sound is pretty loud compared to my previous car (which was a Citroen C2), and compared to my speculations about VW Engine noise reduction (I don't even know if that's the right term). Anyway, it's not something that anyone notices, but it sounds like an old car, not a smooth comfy sound if you know what I mean.
While I was at the dealer changing brake pads, I asked them about the engine noise, and they said "No, don't worry!". Except that there were like 20 other cars at that time, roaring, so the guy didn't even have the chance to hear what I am saying.
When I'm accelerating, the engine sounds like it's tired/old, although acceleration is quite fine and I don't have any problem with it's power, and while I'm standing still, I can hear a steady tapping sound, very slight tapping sound that is steady.

To be honest, this is my first VW, and neither my family or friends have any VW so I would compare, the only VW we had was the old beetle and you all know how she sounds :) So I am not even comparing. But, I am only comparing to my old cars (one of them was a Mitsubishi Lancer 1996 and she sounded pretty smooth compared to my EOS), and my family cars which still give me the same smooth sound.

The previous owner though told me "You'll love it's sound, it will encourage you to run" .. So, sometimes I just calm my brains and say "Yeah, what he meant is she sounds sporty, so what I am hearing is pretty normal".

The family's mechanic was once checking one of Dad's old cars, and I opened the hood for him and asked him if there's anything to worry about concerning the sound, and he said "No, not at all, Congratulations on your new car!" lol

So anyway, to cut this whole long message up, I just want to know if it's normal, if I should feel comfortable and love the sound. Maybe if any of you can tell me his own experience with his Eos's Engine noise, or if somebody had that doubt before and found out a trick that muted everything, or maybe any of you would tell me what is a normal engine sound like? which car should I compare it to? .. Or if there are any important stuff I should check concerning the engine so I would know that this whole sound issue is just in my head. I'll be really thankful.

My EOS is 90,000km old, and she's a manual, 2008.
I live in Egypt, and unfortunately that means, no good technicians at the dealership, that's why I thought I should ask other drivers like me.
And don't get me wrong, I already love my EOS :)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Hi welcome to the club you don't say whether you have a diesel or a petrol engine if its a petrol engine it should be very quiet and even VW diesels are a bit noisy in comparison to a petrol. If the engine sounds a bit like cam followers it could be low oil or on some early VW diesels the cylinder head would wear around the followers. Best bet find a good technician and let him diagnose the sound for you. Good luck ****.

·
498 Posts
Is there a chance you can compare the same engine for noise but in another VW car not necessarily an Eos... eg Golf etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts