Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,all,
I have a 08 plate EOS 1.4 TSi
The EM light has been on for a while but it has been running OK until recently when i lost power and the idle was lumpy and it kept stalling.
Took it in for analysis and it seems that there was a problem with the boost sensors or something? Basically a sticking solenoid that prevented the recirculation so there was more s**t going down the exhaust than should be so hence the warning light.
The garage blew it out with the airline and I have the boost back but the light has come on again .
I am quite capable of doing most repairs but turbos are a bit of a Dark Art for me.
Can anyone offer any advice as to how I can strip this down and get it properly cleaned and working again or am i going to have to dig deep into the pocket and run it into VW for repair.
Any advice would be most welcome.:confused:
Tug

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
One fault shown with diagnostics could produce another or may be related to something else in the emission control and recirc. system. Running with CEL light on isn't good either.

You need diagnostics and know how to use it to look deeper. I don't just mean something that spits out a fault code like the cheap dongles, but diagnostics that will measure things like sensor pressures and back pressure in the exhaust/cat system. If they blew out carbon with an air line you can guess there may be carbon build up somewhere else? :confused:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fair Comment.
I unfortunately have an inbuilt mistrust of all things Main Dealer! My instinct is that this is a minor problem as the EM light comes on intermittently, which to me suggests that some of the time it is running fine but then something - like a solenoid sticking - causes it to have a hissy fit and come back on. I like to look at the obvious first then the not so obvious - and expensive! - alternatives. From experience, the Main Dealers tend to look at things the other way around.
Cynic is my middle name :)

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
IMHO diagnostics is for you because on these complex cars intermittent faults will be logged and they are the worst kind of fault to have. Some faults will be logged up to a fault threshold count in the background before you see the CEL light come on. Only by looking at the saved fault data in the ECU, doing something, clearing the fault log and checking again will you solve your problems. Otherwise you are clutching at straws in the unknown. By all means search the web but mostly I find other peoples faults and fixes are not thoroughly diagnosed or even apply. :(

I had an issue with a flap control valve on a diesel. Some just replace the motor valve assembly and carry on. I removed the manifold and saw horrendous sooting (common on diesels). Because I went about my repair methodically, I was able to thoroughly de-gunge and clean all the bolt on parts in the re-circ loop and clean and recover the 'faulty' flap valve which wasn't able to reset to its learned zero. At first key on the valve was stuck part open when the ECU did its checks and it didn't get the 'zero' value returned that it expected.

I'm not saying your gasoline engine will be as bad as my diesel, but if you approach the problem thoroughly without taking shortcuts, you will get the best fix. If you get stuck you can always try an independent, there are plenty of those engines in other VW models.

The main dealer will do the diagnostics checks first, analyze the results, maybe use the Mothership database to check for similar faults, then use their guided fault finding algorithm (which isn't always foolproof). You can't do any of this!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts