Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Initially I was planning on eventually replacing my RCD 500 head unit with a RNS 510 but looking at the prices I just can't justify the cost of one so I have been looking at aftermarket Android units (I was planning to fit my Android tablet but it is too small to fit a double din facia so scrapped that idea) as I really like Android for use in a car.

The one linked below sounds perfect so I am wondering if anybody has already fitted it and what are your views?

I have no idea what it means by dual canbus but I'm hoping it means that it will be compatible without the need for me to upgrade the canbus gateway module to eliminate battery drain....is that what it means?

Also, as I have Dynaudio will it be compatible as I have seen a few other similar head units advertised that say they aren't compatible but there is no mention in this advertisement?

I have messaged the seller also with my questions but thought I would ask here also incase someone has already taken the plunge on this head unit and can advise.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAM-8-Cor...el:EOS&hash=item2a8cec08ef:g:qzsAAOSwl-BZumwv

Best Regards,

KristLee.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Looks like a great piece of kit for the money and especially if you are used to using android.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi ****,

It does look and sound great for the money and hopefully it lives up to it lol.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the seller and if all is well with regards not needing to upgrade the canbus gateway module and it's compatible with Dynaudio then it will be getting ordered up.

Best Regards,

KristLee.

Looks like a great piece of kit for the money and especially if you are used to using android.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought and fitted the Eonon headunit a couple of weeks ago, the installation was really simple and was done within 15 min although I still have the rear view camera to do but I have been preoccupied navigating my way around and learning how to use VCDS plus we haven’t had any true dry days recently.

Personally I think it looks great fitted, has an OEM look to it and overall impressions are I really like the unit and the sound it gives out is good enough for me with no audible interference that some of the other cheap headunits like this one seem to have problems with.

My biggest worry was compatibility issues and battery drain and I am pleased to say that the seller was telling the truth as it has a canbus adaptor module as part of its wiring harness so upon key removal from the ignition it shuts down and when the key is placed and turned in the ignition it comes to life again instantaneously with no boot up time at all.

The user interface was a bit basic and outdated for my taste but that was easily rectified with a third party app that I have replaced it with.

I am still able to use the steering wheel controls as per the way they were with the original RCD500 (volume up, down and mute) and to my surprise the telephone button also works for answering and hanging up calls routed through the headunit via its built in Bluetooth and it has no issues connecting with my phone and the external microphone works a treat as everyone has said that they can clearly hear me.

I am unable to see the AC or heated seat temperatures on screen as shown on the advert and have been advised from the seller that it depends on the climate control system installed but since the AC and heated seat controls are directly below the head unit I can live with that.

I also haven’t been able to get an optical rear parking view using the sensors in my rear bumper but that may be due to not yet fitting the camera so I’ll wait until I do that before I contact Eonon for further advice. I’m not sure why it would need the camera to be fitted though as it is just a simple graphic proximity translation of the ultrasonic sensors.

Anyway for £295 I am more than happy with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Did the rear parking sensors show up in your old head unit, if they didn’t it’s because they are the early type and not the OPS type as for the hvac it will only be displayed if you have dual climate. I am glad your new unit works well and has a quick start up time as sometimes my RNS 510 can take about a minute to fire up.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did the rear parking sensors show up in your old head unit, if they didn’t it’s because they are the early type and not the OPS type as for the hvac it will only be displayed if you have dual climate. I am glad your new unit works well and has a quick start up time as sometimes my RNS 510 can take about a minute to fire up.

My old headunit was just the 6 CD changer RCD 500 with a basic LCD type screen that would show radio channels and what CD was playing but couldn’t do anything else, they may still be the early type though...is there a way to tell and if they are the early type do the later type cost much more? It would be a nice function to have even with a rear view camera.

My ATC panel allows for different driver and passenger temperatures to be set but I assume by dual you mean front and rear temperatures can be set differently?

·
Registered
108 Posts
My car came fitted with a Win CE after market head unit.
For the most part, it works well, but, the head unit is actually 2 seperate modules internally, the GPS, and the rest.
As such, it can be very slow to boot the GPS part.

Very jealous of your Android unit though.
Should be a good thing for upgrading / modding.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Dual climate is left and right and you can upgrade to OPS, I have seen kits from £90 for rear only to £240 for front and rear. I am looking to fit front OPS to my Eos one day lol.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I bought and fitted the Eonon headunit a couple of weeks ago, the installation was really simple and was done within 15 min although I still have the rear view camera to do but I have been preoccupied navigating my way around and learning how to use VCDS plus we haven’t had any true dry days recently.

Personally I think it looks great fitted, has an OEM look to it and overall impressions are I really like the unit and the sound it gives out is good enough for me with no audible interference that some of the other cheap headunits like this one seem to have problems with.

My biggest worry was compatibility issues and battery drain and I am pleased to say that the seller was telling the truth as it has a canbus adaptor module as part of its wiring harness so upon key removal from the ignition it shuts down and when the key is placed and turned in the ignition it comes to life again instantaneously with no boot up time at all.

The user interface was a bit basic and outdated for my taste but that was easily rectified with a third party app that I have replaced it with.

I am still able to use the steering wheel controls as per the way they were with the original RCD500 (volume up, down and mute) and to my surprise the telephone button also works for answering and hanging up calls routed through the headunit via its built in Bluetooth and it has no issues connecting with my phone and the external microphone works a treat as everyone has said that they can clearly hear me.

I am unable to see the AC or heated seat temperatures on screen as shown on the advert and have been advised from the seller that it depends on the climate control system installed but since the AC and heated seat controls are directly below the head unit I can live with that.

I also haven’t been able to get an optical rear parking view using the sensors in my rear bumper but that may be due to not yet fitting the camera so I’ll wait until I do that before I contact Eonon for further advice. I’m not sure why it would need the camera to be fitted though as it is just a simple graphic proximity translation of the ultrasonic sensors.

That head unit looks great! Fitted as nicely as a factory fit. I've been considering replacing my RNS 315 and this is very encouraging, thanks! Looks fantastic. I'm curious to know if you've noticed an improvement in sound quality?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My car came fitted with a Win CE after market head unit.
For the most part, it works well, but, the head unit is actually 2 seperate modules internally, the GPS, and the rest.
As such, it can be very slow to boot the GPS part.

Very jealous of your Android unit though.
Should be a good thing for upgrading / modding.
Thanks, I’ll probably feel the same shortly when the next generation of Android units come out lol.

Dual climate is left and right and you can upgrade to OPS, I have seen kits from £90 for rear only to £240 for front and rear. I am looking to fit front OPS to my Eos one day lol.

Are those aftermarket kits or fitted by Hazzy Dayz? I am definitely interested in upgrading as I think it would be a great feature to have.

That head unit looks great! Fitted as nicely as a factory fit. I've been considering replacing my RNS 315 and this is very encouraging, thanks! Looks fantastic. I'm curious to know if you've noticed an improvement in sound quality?
To be honest I haven’t noticed any difference or improvement in the sound quality but I think it sounds fine (apparently though according to my latest VCDS scan I have a front bass speaker issue which I have never noticed either so maybe my hearing isn’t up to scratch for acoustic imperfections lol).

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The kits are all on Ebay under Golf.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Interesting. I just had my front speakers replaced (I don't have Dynaudio) and had an amp and subwoofer added. Huge difference but what I also learned was that my phone settings needed tweaking. I run Spotify through Bluetooth in the car and it turns out that if you go into the Spotify equalizer settings, you can greatly improve the result of what you hear in the car. Same applies for running iTunes by going into settings/music/EQ. Trying out different EQ settings is worth it as that has a lot to do with what you're hearing. If that helps at all. I've considered upgrading my RNS510 down the road but my stereo guy said that it's new enough that a new head unit is unlikely to change the sound much, if at all. If that's the case I'll just leave it as I like it otherwise. Runs fine.

·
Registered
235 Posts

Kristlee-

Looks good, did you take lots of piccies during the install? Any chance of a write-up of your install process?
I'm thinking of one of these for my yet-to-be-delivered eos.

Tony

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Tony,

To be honest it really is plug and play so a write up on fitting it wasn’t necessary. I still haven’t got around to installing the reverse and front cams which will mean running wires and removing trim so when I do those I’ll probably take some pics for anyone else who wants to fit cameras.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi Tony,

To be honest it really is plug and play so a write up on fitting it wasn’t necessary. I still haven’t got around to installing the reverse and front cams which will mean running wires and removing trim so when I do those I’ll probably take some pics for anyone else who wants to fit cameras.
Thanks,

Tony

·
Registered
235 Posts
KristLee-

What are the Eonon suppliers like with their service and support? Can you easily get new firmware and o/s updates from them?

Thanks, Tony.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
KristLee-

What are the Eonon suppliers like with their service and support? Can you easily get new firmware and o/s updates from them?

Thanks, Tony.
Hi Tony,

They were great with my initial queries prior to purchase but after I installed it I haven’t contacted them with regards firmware or O/S updates so I’m not sure what their support is like.

To be honest I’m not even sure it is possible to update it so the best thing would be to contact them prior to purchasing with any queries you may have.

Personally I’m not really bothered about updates for it regarding the firmware or operating system as it’s just a decent looking headunit for my car that already functions and performs as I want.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi Tony,

They were great with my initial queries prior to purchase but after I installed it I haven’t contacted them with regards firmware or O/S updates so I’m not sure what their support is like.

To be honest I’m not even sure it is possible to update it so the best thing would be to contact them prior to purchasing with any queries you may have.

Personally I’m not really bothered about updates for it regarding the firmware or operating system as it’s just a decent looking headunit for my car that already functions and performs as I want.
KristLee-

OK I'll contact them, ta.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi Tony,

Hi KristLee,

Very nice & sound's like you got a good buy. Glad you are happy with it.:)

With regard to fitting/wiring rear camera's, I found this useful thread (its 510 specific) but the removals of trim will be the same.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-emblem-flip-up-back-up-rear-camera-in-the-CC (hope it helps).

I was thinking of having a coloured LED rear emblem but have changed my mind & decided to go for the rear emblem camera instead, so the thread will help me out a lot too.
Here's the one I am looking at, just waiting on a reply back from the guy with a price.

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://www.all-lights.net/&prev=search (Click NEW CAMERA then on next page SPECIAL CAMERA & it will be there. (there are 2 different ones) just so you know...

& a little demo video for the above product. -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjL9-vZXFGM&t=41s

Have fun fitting yours...:)

AL

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi KristLee,

Very nice & sound's like you got a good buy. Glad you are happy with it.:)

With regard to fitting/wiring rear camera's, I found this useful thread (its 510 specific) but the removals of trim will be the same.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-emblem-flip-up-back-up-rear-camera-in-the-CC (hope it helps).

I was thinking of having a coloured LED rear emblem but have changed my mind & decided to go for the rear emblem camera instead, so the thread will help me out a lot too.
Here's the one I am looking at, just waiting on a reply back from the guy with a price.

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://www.all-lights.net/&prev=search (Click NEW CAMERA then on next page SPECIAL CAMERA & it will be there. (there are 2 different ones) just so you know...

& a little demo video for the above product. -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjL9-vZXFGM&t=41s

Have fun fitting yours...:)

AL

That’s perfect cheers mate,

I have just bought the forward camera also that fits into the front badge so I’ll be fitting that at the same time. I’m watching a VW flip badge camera on eBay at the moment, Chinese seller and from the listing it sounds as if they are removing them from new VWs over there to sell on....it’s £150.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts