Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about this for a while now. With no gutter rails, you accidentally leave a window open, it rains and water pours inside off the roof and could kill door electronics resulting in an expensive repair. The small rear window on the far side is hard to see open at night. Next morning your leather seat is wet, carpets are wet and maybe the door controller has failed. :eek: VW really got this wrong for a cabriolet design.

Using vcds you can add a comfort feature to open and close all windows with a long key press on the door open/unlock button. However, you have to keep your finger on the remote button for some 20 seconds until the windows and sunroof are closed. This is not a failsafe way of ensuring windows are raised and sunroof is closed when you lock the car.

A solution I've been working on is to modify a rain sensor and trigger it from the immobilzer led: Immobilizer led blinks, rain sensor triggered then all windows and sunroof close. It would need an enable/disable switch in the door panel for occasions when you might park with the top down and want to leave the windows down after locking.

There are a couple of non - EOS specific OBD dongles around that claim to give the type of function I'm looking for on certain VWs, but since they write code to the controller unit you can't be sure they will work or screw things up. Beware, one OBD window closing dongle is 'use once' and it self destructs so you can only use it once! I didn't want to pay a lot for a use once device only to find it didn't work.

I found AliExpress which is Chinese version of Ebay and found an OBD dongle that might work. It is claimed to work for VW Golfs 1990 to 1998.. and some recent Skodas, but being Chinese you can't always trust what you read. To get this type of OBD dongle to work it must be designed for specific vehicle ECUs. MY07 is early enough to be Golf MkV similar and I took a chance on buying one for $20 inc. shipping.

The translated description is poor and I will fill in what happens.
Plug in the dongle and after a few seconds turn on the ignition leaving the dongle plugged in.

Take all the windows down on the door switch and open the sunroof. If the dongle is working for you, close the door and hold the lock button on the remote for 4 seconds. All windows and the sunroof should then close as one touch control. As soon as the windows rise, you can release the lock button and walk away.

If you want to revert back to the standard 'hold finger on button' control (why would you?) disconnect the battery for 30 seconds. I've not tested that, but once the dongle works you can remove it.

I then tried to repeat the same thing on a 2012 Skoda. It didn't work proving these things work with the vehicles they are designed for. But for a punt, the risk is small if it doesn't work for you.

I am still going ahead with the rain sensor hack mod. But one touch control of all windows and sunroof via the fob buttons is an improvement and there's no wiring to do.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bla...32741365058.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.6k9qr9

·
Registered
138 Posts
Find someone with a VCDS cable or better yet, buy one yourself - they are very valuable tools for VAG autos.

There is a setting to enable rain closing of the windows and sunroof. Enable it and the rain sensor will trigger the closure if it senses rain.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry but I know that and I do have vcds. :)

But MY07 TDi Sport lowline like many others, doesn't have the rain sensor option and the work to add it requires wiring, a sensor module, a replacement rear view mirror and possibly a new windshield. A lot of money, trouble and a bridge too far. In addition, the rain sensor only works when it rains. If by accident a window is left open, it won't close automatically when you lock the car which is what I want.

I've already enabled the rain sensor even though I haven't fitted it yet. When it arrives I'll hack it to loop the IR so it doesn't need to be on the screen and wire it into the comfort convenience module. My EOS will have a rain sensor when scanned. It won't be sensing rain, but sense when the doors are locked and close open windows and the sunroof. The Chinese OBD dongle provides a partial solution if somebody doesn't want to do any wiring.

I bet when you hold down the lock button on your remote, your windows and sunroof don't all close together as one touch and there is no adaptation option in vcds to do it?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I realized as soon as I hit "Post" that you probably don't have a factory rain sensor. Then I noticed your post count. That explains that.

You are correct that I have to hold the lock button continuously to get the windows and sunroof to close. I believe Smarttop is the only device that allows one touch open close with the remote. Though this is a pricey accessory.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many here like Smarttop and the thrill of standing back and watching the roof to impress their Buddies, just like James Bond. But I think it carries a risk that if the flaps don't fold, there's something in the trunk or a seizure of the hings you just watch the crunch. A roof hinge fault on an EOS can mean a new roof. Personally, I'd rather keep my finger on the internal switch and watch it, then I've got a second chance to reverse, recover and investigate later.

I already looked at (expensive) Smarttop but found no feature that would close the windows and sunroof with the button lock command as you do leaving the car, but others here can correct me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts