Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently been doing a lot of things to my lock wiring and adding powerfold mirrors. In the process I came across something I wasn't aware of, or had this function occur occasionally and hadn't thought much about it:

When you get out of the car and and close the door, you press the fob lock and the central locking puts on the deadlock. But I've been out of the car, then after a minute I get the 2 chirps, turn signals flash and the deadlocks come on. I'm thinking, what if I left the keys on the seat?

What seems to happen is if you open a door before locking as you would do normally getting out of the car, the car will sit (forever?) waiting for the fob lock press to lock the car. But if you leave the door closed and operated the fob lock and unlock without opening a door, the car auto self locks after about 1 minute. I assume all or most V.Ws do this?

As an aside, if you think trunk lockout is bad news, I was sitting inside the car on a hot day doing some tests when the deadlocks came on and I stupidly caused the controller fuse to blow!! There was no obvious easy way of escape. The sunroof still worked to get some air in and I could have extracted myself that way. Fortunately, the drivers window was half down and I just manged to get the key into the handle lock. Lesson learned: When working on car electrics or changing batteries, always leave all the windows down.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I've recently been doing a lot of things to my lock wiring and adding powerfold mirrors. In the process I came across something I wasn't aware of, or had this function occur occasionally and hadn't thought much about it:

When you get out of the car and and close the door, you press the fob lock and the central locking puts on the deadlock. But I've been out of the car, then after a minute I get the 2 chirps, turn signals flash and the deadlocks come on. I'm thinking, what if I left the keys on the seat?

What seems to happen is if you open a door before locking as you would do normally getting out of the car, the car will sit (forever?) waiting for the fob lock press to lock the car. But if you leave the door closed and operated the fob lock and unlock without opening a door, the car auto self locks after about 1 minute. I assume all or most V.Ws do this?

As an aside, if you think trunk lockout is bad news, I was sitting inside the car on a hot day doing some tests when the deadlocks came on and I stupidly caused the controller fuse to blow!! There was no obvious easy way of escape. The sunroof still worked to get some air in and I could have extracted myself that way. Fortunately, the drivers window was half down and I just manged to get the key into the handle lock. Lesson learned: When working on car electrics or changing batteries, always leave all the windows down.
Yes on my Aus spec "08 one press of fob operates the dead lock....and doors cannot be opened from inside at all... As I found out to my detriment a few years ago.

However if you press lock on fob twice it will lock the vehicle but not the dead locks....

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. It was the locking by itself with no fob operation that puzzled me? I found it can also happen if the car has been sat closed a while but not locked, then open and close the trunk lid. A minute later, clunk and the deadlocks are on. I've read self locking is a V.W 'feature' that occurs if the doors haven't been opened and closed for a while and you wouldn't notice it just getting in and out the car normally? Take care where you leave your keys, I think that's what you mean!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts