Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I personally do not like the big piece of chrome on the front of our cars, it looks like a giant mirror to me! I decided I wanted more of a flat black look to my car. I thought about painting it but was worried about how well it would hold up to the road. I decided to use a product called Plasti-dip, this is used to rubberize things like wrenches, hammers, game controllers, etc. It comes in a paint can or in an aerosol can. For this you want to use the spray can one. Sorry for splitting this up into multiple posts, the forum will only allow four images in each post.

Here is the before shot:

Disassemble the grill by first removing the four torx screws, there are two at the top of the grill, you have to pop the hood to access these. Then there are two more underneath the top portion of the grill. Lay on your back looking up, youll see one on the left and one on the right, there are cutouts on the lower grill to access the screws. Then gently pull the bottom grill out and then the top grill. The VW emblem is removed by rotating it counter-clockwise and releasing the locking tabs on the rear. I chose not to coat this piece.

Then thoroughly clean the surface of the grills with prep-sol, be sure to wear gloves to keep any grease from your fingers off the grill. Afterwards wipe down the grills with a terry cloth. I chose to paint the black slats as well; however, you can remove them. The bottom piece is easy to remove but the top one will take some effort.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I then hung the two grills and applied multiple coats of the plast-dip, moving from light coats to medium coats. I applied roughly 4-5 coats. Be sure to get all of the sides, inner parts and edges -- especially around the slats.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Then let the grills cure for 48 hours to make sure the coating dries, especially since its partially ruberized. Once you're done pop the bottom grill in and then the top grill. Install the four screws, shut the hood and you're good to go!

·
Rated EE: Eos Enthusiast
1,256 Posts
Looks well done! I would think that on that white car it could also look sharp to have a solid white grille with just the chrome VW emblem in the center......

·
Registered
480 Posts
Very nice. A very tasteful mod. Well suited to the White EOS.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So far its holding up pretty good! I have confidence that it will hold up better then rattle can paint due to its ruberriness.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Marshall Kamena

The black is particularly handsome with the white auto color. It certainly sets off the large license plate nicely. Incidentally, is the plate from Georgia? I don't recognize the style nor the shape. Great job of customizing the front end.

·
High Tech Parrothead
160 Posts
It's not an American plate.

I love the black grill and I have been wanting to do one on my white Eos but I want a debadged front grill, can't seem to find one without any plate indentations.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
how is it holding up to the weather?? Very nice job!! It really changes the look of the Eos in a good way!
Update: Just drove well over a thousand miles in a weekend through some nasty rain, snow, sleet, etc. The grill remains in pristine condition!

It's not an American plate.

I love the black grill and I have been wanting to do one on my white Eos but I want a debadged front grill, can't seem to find one without any plate indentations.
There are two companies that sell the black grills. One is the stock painted black and the other is the stock but without the logo inset so its just the slacks across the front. I loved that one but the company refused to ship to the US :(

The other company has had theirs on back order for months and has no clue when they'll be getting new ones in. The only issue I had with both of these grills was they only replaced the top grill. The button has a chrome trim piece around it, which is why I painted both.

The euro plate I got off eBay, it was my first attempt to remove some of the chrome from the front of the car when I bought it. Thats actually the third to be on the car, the first was stolen, the second was demolished in an accident. I got them off eBay from a guy called "parts4euro". They are authenticate plates with a single government decal removed (necessary for them to sell them).

I am planning on removing the front logo and painting it black as well to rid it of all the chrome. It looks really good from the front/side because I have my windows tinted pretty dark. I'm also debating paint matching the rear logo (trunk lid) since I de-badged the car last week. Figured it would be a very clean look. But I'm also considering blacking out the rear logo. Not sure on that one!! :confused:

·
High Tech Parrothead
160 Posts
monkey I am thinking the exact same thing for mine. thought i might just paint the front grill and emblem black and the rear emblem white

·
Registered
32 Posts
Looks great on your White Car, suits it well!

·
Registered
49 Posts
black & white colour scheme looks fantastic - - the grills are available black as a spare part now as they are standard on the white night

·
High Tech Parrothead
160 Posts
no idea on the part number but you can order it from oem plus

·
Registered
10 Posts
no idea on the part number but you can order it from oem plus
I just did that a few days ago. My Eos is black so I guess I'm going to create a Black Night. :p

Still, I found this thread very useful. The lower grill section of my '09 has a single chrome strip. OEM Plus could not order this section for me, so I might try to dig up a used one and follow the directions above.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts