Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

My EOS lasted (or still cruising) over:

• More baby, MORE! 500k miles!! (800,000 km)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching for quite a while trying to find information on how long an EOS lasts. Every used one for sale near me had between 80k-120k miles. I realize there are different engine and transmission combos that may change the answer to my question.

So I suppose the best way to ask my question is what is the longest lasting used EOS around $12,000 (USA market, I know y'all across the pond have a wealth of options )? Can I get one with over 100k and expect it to keep chugging for years to come? With the proper maintenance I don't see why it couldn't. I bought my 2001 golf tdi at 220k miles and I know that's not going to die for a long ass time.

Also I should mention I'm in Arizona, so rust and water seals probably aren't a huge concern.

Like I said I couldn't find much "my eos lasted this long or is still kicking with blank milage"

So tell me what you got and what I should expect being on the market for an EOS.

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
It's won't be mileage that determines end of life but the uneconomic cost of some roof repairs. You can always find a used engine from many other VAG vehicles, but the roof is unique to the EOS. A very high mileage EOS could have been mostly driven with the roof closed, or a low mileage EOS could have had hundreds of roof operations, no roof servicing of seals and has leaked like a sieve.

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
In UK 'normal' average mileage is considered to be 10k per year. In USA it may be higher. A 10 year old car could have 100k on the clock and be considered average mileage for the year. But mileage alone doesn't tell you if it' a good car to buy. If it's low mileage and been used mainly for shopping and short Summer trips or commutes, it could have a clogged engine. Higher mileages and regular use driven on freeways can be a better bet, as long as the car and roof have been regularly seviced and doesn't leak.

Can you look at photos and a description of a car to tell you if it's a good buy or not and will be reliable with no hidden surprises? IMHO I don't think so. Actually seeing a car and knowing some of its ownership and service history are better indicators. I bought MY07 low mileage EOS from my wife and had maintained it so I knew what I was buying. 2 days after I transfered ownership, a front spring failed and I had to tear down the front suspension!

·
Administrator
2,496 Posts
After much agonising and prevarication, my partner is beginning to realise her much-loved pristine MY09 TDI DSG Eos is creating problems both for her and myself mainly associated with getting in and out of the car associated with it being too low to the ground for comfortable access and egress. She is close to accepting it might be time to replace the Eos with an all-electric vehicle similar to our current diesel Mazda CX5 SUV which is much higher off the ground and easier to get in and out of for both of us.

Yes, I still have not driven it and will not be given the opportunity to do so. I don't know how the tree twig on the floor in the first photo arrived between the car being parked, the roof opened and the photo being taken by me. [I have since realised the VCDS unit was still connected to my computer on the floor and the "twig" is actually the connecting cable :eek:].

The photos etc below give an idea of the condition of the car after close to 13 years of ownership. Yes, the odometer reading of 80092 kilometres is correct

The vehicle will come with two Eos exclusive travel cases for the boot/trunk and a Ross-Tech VCDS diagnostic unit. My problem is whether we should try to sell it privately or consign it to a classic/collectable cars auction when the time comes.

The most recent diagnostic check is as below:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
Seat height was how I acquired MY07. Wifey bought a cheap SUV which I use for lugging 8X4s on the roof and other things long. The EOS is a surprisingly useless car for expanding families and carrying DIY materials. Wifey went back to drive the EOS and did say how comfortable it was. Her diesel SUV only gets 37mpg, whereas the EOS TDI Sport gives me up to 60mpg, partly because it's low. I hope your EV choice has the battery capacity to sustain aircon in hot weather and a decent heater and defroster output in cold weather. SUV roofs are large enough to have a solar panel designed in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been searching for quite a while trying to find information on how long an EOS lasts. Every used one for sale near me had between 80k-120k miles. I realize there are different engine and transmission combos that may change the answer to my question.

So I suppose the best way to ask my question is what is the longest lasting used EOS around $12,000 (USA market, I know y'all across the pond have a wealth of options )? Can I get one with over 100k and expect it to keep chugging for years to come? With the proper maintenance I don't see why it couldn't. I bought my 2001 golf tdi at 220k miles and I know that's not going to die for a long ass time.

Also I should mention I'm in Arizona, so rust and water seals probably aren't a huge concern.

Like I said I couldn't find much "my eos lasted this long or is still kicking with blank milage"

So tell me what you got and what I should expect being on the market for an EOS.

·
Registered
6 Posts

How much would you be willing to spend, and would you be willing to pay for a car to be shipped to you? Would you buy a manual 2010 Komfort with less than 25k miles fully maintained, or are you looking for something with more miles?

·
Registered
25 Posts

Just took this today and posted to a Facebook Eos Group. Just passed 250000 miles driving home from work. Yes I have done some repairs, have also got the roof working again when it was crapping out, and other things here and there, but it still has been a good car.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I bought MY07 low mileage EOS from my wife and had maintained it so I knew what I was buying. 2 days after I transfered ownership, a front spring failed and I had to tear down the front suspension!
Let me guess, she didn't come good with a warranty claim? :):)

·
Registered
2015 Volkswagen Eos, Komfort 2.0L
149 Posts
My Eos is a 2015 model with about 73000 miles on it. Always on top of scheduled maintenance and have the seals and rain holes treated every spring (car is garaged). Any minor things that wears or breaks, it’s repaired quickly. So no reason for me to sell it or trade it in.

My issue is that as time goes by, the dashboard becomes more lacking compared to what’s available with cars today. But any 4 door convertible today (like Audi Or Mercedes), you’re looking at over $55k, and they are soft tops.

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
Let me guess, she didn't come good with a warranty claim? :):)
No, but as well as the front springs I did the rears and the body height and road handling came back to 'as new'. The EOS Tdi Sports was a bit too perky for her anyway, as she picked up a couple of tickets. A Sherman tank like lumbering SUV guzzling gas is more her measure now. :) Perhaps this is a lady thing, but when driving she regards all people wearing HiViz as road workmen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check to log books and if it is a very tidy unit that is a good indication it has been looked after. Wouldn’t hurt to get a professional to look at also. I live in Sydney, sports suspension and wheels, rebadged grill, white with black interior but the cream is much nicer.

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
The EOS can be a cheap convertible to buy used and is no longer in production. It comes with uncertain risk of expensive bills if you have to pay others to repair the car and it is your only commute car. As Ron X advises, have a Pro look at the car even for obvious defects and take it once through a car wash.

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
If it's normally kept garaged that's a good point, but you only find out about leaks when it rains after buying it - or take it once through a car wash. Also look at the tools that fit in the trunk spare tire. They should be clean and rust free. But again, if it has been garaged and driven mostly in dry weather, these clues may not be there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts