Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Just purchased a 2008 EOS with 45500K miles. Love it but I cannot get the sunroof to close-I am looking for a EOS knowledgable VW dealership or EOS knowledgable mechanic in the SF bay area- I am located in the East Bay but will travel for a good mechanic.

Thanks again...

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Did you get a warranty? I can't get much from your fault description as to whether it is an electrical or mechanical fault and how long since you bought the car? The sunroof mechanism is known to jam and need parts replacing if the slide rails are not kept regularly lubricated. The sunroof needs to work correctly for the roof system to allow the roof to operate. A sunroof repair could involve quite a lot of work and the parts are not cheap.

You are right to ask for somebody in your local to recommend a good shop, but if you have warranty, I suggest you go that route first or get a quote from a genuine V.W shop and talk turkey to the seller?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately no warranty-it's a 2008--sunroof worked when I bought it. It failed 3 days later-I do not believe previous owner used it much esp as she had a carseat in the back the last 4 years--(I did text her but she said honestly she hadn't used it in the last few years which I do believe)-so no convertible usage for that period of time also -extremely low mileage 45,500. The convertible feature works fine and actually till I find the right person to fix the car that is the only way I will drive it. It is not the motor it appears to be a track issue on the right side which once the sunroof goes forward to a certain point it retracts :(.

I am thinking Socal may have more experienced EOS mechanics but I am hoping there are some in Northern California. I am willing to wait for the right person. I am figuring the fix will not be cheap and may involve a new track on the right hand side ?

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
What I didn't understand is I thought you were able to open and close the top? The roof controller automatically opens the sunroof(wider) and closes it. If it can't do that, the roof operation usually stops with a fault. The first stage of top down is to open the sunroof which is when I would expect the roof to stop and abort with a fault?

The roof motor current is monitored as it operates. If there is excessive friction either on the sliding tracks, worn mechanism inside the head lining or both, the motor will stop to protect itself. It is the same function they call 'anti-pinch protection' which pulls the sunroof back if a child gets their fingers trapped.

Your chosen workshop may need to know how to remove and replace an EOS headlining to get to sunroof parts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No the sunroof opens all the way, thus allowing the car to continue to open the roof and become a convertible. The fault is when it closes, the roof closes fine, and then the sunroof attempts to close,(comes within 3-4 inches of closing) but stops and retracts, I can close sunroof then by using sunroof control and stopping short of the area where it automatically retracts (thus sunroof is always open about 2-4 inches). My thought is that the sunroof guide on the right has an obstruction or a missing piece of the guide?-it has been lubed and the motor does not strain.

After operation the roof/convertible control to bring the top up the message on the driver's readout does say close sunroof so it does realize that that portion failed.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
You wouldn't notice if the motor was straining because it has to stop and retract very fast, otherwise kids pinkies would get crushed. :eek:

My guess is still stiff, misaligned guides or the octopus cables failing.:confused: A diagnostics scan will reveal stored trouble codes, but I'm not sure what you get for obstructions? Once the workshop do the diagnostics tests, if there's nothing wrong with the controller and electronics, they will have to get inside to see what's going on. If I was looking at this myself before tearing into the headlining, I would monitor the motor current with a 'scope whilst it's working and look for a current spike around the point you say it stops. The variation in motor current will reveal a lot about friction as the sunroof moves on its slides. If it is higher than normal and increasing from the fully open to close position it could have just tripped their pinch threshold at the point it stops. What's significant is you say it stops and retracts, which is precisely how the pinch protection would operate.

·
Alaskaman
97 Posts
Alaskaman here,
The name is a bit of misnomer, 'cause in American Canyon, CA.
Anyway, I had a roof issue due to the top trying to 'eat' a crutch while closing. Some the same result. The top opened and closed, the sunroof, not at all. Anyway, my fix top a new top, BUT!, your's sound way less serious. I took my Eos to the Hansel Dealer in Santa Rosa. I believe they had to call in a 'top guy' but that he was fairly local. VW does have/did have a few folk that really know the top workings. Mine was fixed and I have had no issues since. There's also a VW/Audi shop in Petaluma worth looking into. It's ALL they do, they know their stuff and are reasonable. Not sure if I can advertise for them n this site so I won't mention their name, but easy to find.
Hope this helps, Not a lot of VW places know the Eos very well. They're okay with the generic stuff, but mention two door or convertible and they want to know why you're calling your bug an "Eos"...

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
There's a recent thread here from a poster who's tearing into his sunroof. He thinks he knows what's wrong but hasn't gone all the way in yet. :confused:

I've explained the sunroof and blind are driven by one motor connected to the octopus Bowden cable. If you look carefully into the guide slots with the sunroof nearly closed you should see what looks like a spiral cable in the channel. Mine are well greased with white lithium grease. :). I think this cable end is one part of the 'worm' drive that rotates and the sun roof has a nylon gear running on it or through it. As the motor turns the Bowden cable with spiral, the roof moves forward or back.

What I said about pinch protection is relevant because if that cable track hasn't been lubricated, the motor will detect over current as a pinch and then bring the roof back, which is what is happening to the OP. The same could happen if the spiral end of the octopus cable is damaged at that point if a crutch was stuck through the opening and the anti pinch didn't work. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a similar problem about four years ago on my 2006/7. It was the runners for the sun-roof being out of alignment. The local dealer service centre fixed it in a day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts