Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2009 EOS 2.0T-Auto
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, Just wanting to share some info and have a question. Previously owned new 2009 EOS from 2009-2012, and have been without an EOS for the past 10 years. Wife loved our previous EOS and wanted another one. Being a good husband :), I purchased a 2009 EOS this past weekend (same as our previous 2009 EOS, however this one is red with black interior, and our other EOS was Navy Blue with white interior (both 4 Cyl with turbo and automatic). Drove 250 miles to buy and pick it up and drove 250 back home the same day (It did have a jack but no spare tire). When I would slow down to exit the interstate, the low oil indicator would come on (oh no?!). EOS had only been driven about 400 miles (yes only 400) in the last 4 years (total mileage 107,000) and it had new battery and like new tires. So after getting home, I determined the following and made some relatively minor repairs in the last 6 days (by the way, paint is immaculate with no dings or chips and no fogging of the head lights and interior faux leather is perfect.) Convertible Top and sun roof work flawlessly, engine idles and accelerates with no problem and shifting is smooth. Changed oil and oil filter (low oil indicator no longer on - came on because the oil was overfilled!). Replaced engine air filter and cabin air filter $25 total for both on eBay (easy peasy replacement); replaced cracked fog light (lens was cracked - no real easy but not bad) - $40 on eBay; replaced rear drink holder $22 on eBay (2 screws, easy peasy); purchased (nearly matching) VW aluminum wheel with Yokohamatire at junk yard ($35) to use as the spare and they threw in VW tow hook, VW lug wrench, VW screwdriver, and new VW center of tire emblems for free. Replacement tire lug covers (ordered set of 20 with VW tool for $5 on eBay), Panel mounted dimmer for panel lights ($8.50); Full set of embroidered (EOS) oem floor mats ($115 on eBay). VW Krypton for convertible seals ($20 on eBay). I'm happy with my $5850 purchase since issues were minor and easy to fix. I was able to locate a free .pdf of the manual on-line View Manual PDF - Manual Directory which is going to be helpful even though I have the hardcopy manual that came with the car. And now my question: 1. Check Engine light was not on until today - I'm thinking it could be the O2 Sensor since the engine idles and accelerates well (maybe original O2 sensor) - your thoughts? Thanks for reading.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Wheel Sky Tire Car Vehicle
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
Having already spent some money it's time to consider diagnostics for doing DIY repairs, or just keep guessing.

·
Registered
2009 EOS 2.0T-Auto
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Having already spent some money it's time to consider diagnostics for doing DIY repairs, or just keep guessing.
I bought the car fax and was happy to see it was a one owner EOS up until 4 years ago when it went into storage; and that it had been regularly professionally maintained at the VW dealership from 2009-2019 including replacement of the timing chain and tensioner just before being put into storage.

·
Registered
446 Posts
You might find that the faux leather is actually real leather. At least on the middle sections of the seats. The doors , armrest, headrests and backs of the front seats are vinyl. Use a good non silicone leather preserver. The steering wheel was also real leather. If a water based leather preserver is used it will sink into the leather but if it is vinyl it will stay on the surface.

Enjoy - I still am after 15 years and 255,000 kms

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
There's leather, leather and leather. Real leather is what I associate with the hide of a donor animal, processed, tanned and dyed. It has no artificial layers or has been built up using compressed leather scraps or artificial materials to form a composite. I think of leather like timber: If it comes from a real tree, dried and planed it's real wood. If its been planed into sheets and laminated with glue and other timbers, it's a real wood composite 'plywood' and if it's made from sawdust it's chipboard. There's some kind of real wood in all of them. Hi end cars use real leather hides which are selected for their color match before being upholstered. MY EOS Sport has some kind of leather used in the upholstery, but it's not the real kind. Napa leather is authentic full grain, unsplit leather made from lamb, kid or sheepskin - but that's not mine.

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
682 Posts
You might find that the faux leather is actually real leather. At least on the middle sections of the seats. The doors , armrest, headrests and backs of the front seats are vinyl. Use a good non silicone leather preserver. The steering wheel was also real leather. If a water based leather preserver is used it will sink into the leather but if it is vinyl it will stay on the surface.

Enjoy - I still am after 15 years and 255,000 kms
Actually there is fake leather and rear leather, but for the Australian market, I don't believe they received the fake leather at least not in the face lift models. In most of the markets, the low end EOS and most VW's received V-Tex Leatherette with only the top tier models receiving leather. As for the leather, there was Vienna Leather and Nappa Leather.

Vienna Leather

Vienna is a full grain South German Semi Aniline leather that exhibits the natural characteristics and variations of leather. It is evenly coloured and protected for high light fastness and durability. With a soft hand it is ideally suited for both commercial and residential use.

Nappa Leather

Nappa leather is top-quality leather that undergoes a unique tanning process and is softer and more pliable than most hides. It was named for the Napa Valley in California, where the tanning company that developed it was located. Nappa leather is often used in upscale vehicles.

As for the V-Tex

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
What do they put in Rolls-Royce and Daimler like what the Queen rides in? I bet those seats are nice and soft compared to a Land Rover series 110. :)

·
Administrator
2,555 Posts
What do they put in Rolls-Royce and Daimler like what the Queen rides in? I bet those seats are nice and soft compared to a Land Rover series 110. :)
Vox,

Rolls-Rpyce and Bentley cars had upholstery made from Connolly leather for many years when the Company traded as Rolls-Royce Motor cars before it was split into 2 separate Companies Rolls-Royce and Bentley respectively.

I don't know what leather is being used now however my now-departed 1973 RR Corniche drophead had Connolly leather seats and trim which was very high quality and stayed very soft and supple in our harsh environment provided they were regularly treated with a proprietary Connolly leather cleaner and conditioner.

Loved the unique smell of newly treated leather seats and trim characteristic of the Connolly conditioner,

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
Thanks. I watched a TV program for high end mega rich cars. The upholstery leather came in as tanned and colored hides which they would then select for uniformity of color and texture. Anything out of kilter wasn't sent for stitching up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts