Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Eos TSI Komfort DSG Automatic
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, first, I'm a US driver with a 2010 Eos Komfort, TSI, about 94k miles. I am now at the end of a long story that has no relevance here other than to say money is not an object and I am rebuilding/replacing the engine/turbo/piping/hosing/intake/exhaust/computers/everything you can think of in terms of OE that sucks, with my end goal being a daily driver that I can use as my daily driver but turn into a monster sleeper (likely with some brand of mobile ECU/transmission program flash-loader) for weekend sprees.
I will be replacing first, obviously, ALL intake and exhaust components, and all cheap OE plastic nonsense such as the intake manifold and whatever else is made of plastic that should rightly be either aluminum or some alloy. The turbocharger, intercooler, and all necessary components/connections are going in favor of something BETTER. At the moment, a new mechatronic unit is on its way to my shop and when the trans is accessed for the installation there may be a rebuild or replacement if needs be. Same thing with the innards of the engine...I'm thinking of replacing the HPFP, getting beefier injectors, stronger, perhaps hardened valves and titanium springs/retainers for a safer higher redline along with piston heads/rings. New camshafts with moderately more aggressive lobes (not something for the racetrack) are also a less necessary possibility, and at the end of the list would be things that are only to be replaced if this project demands them for reliability's sake - things like a new crankshaft, rods, engine mounts, so forth.

So you may think well it seems like I know what I want already, but this is my dilemma and what I need input with: I'm just coming to performance mods for newer, German, forced induction cars. My comfort zone is muscle cars running huge engines gulping gallons of race fuel totally mechanically, without a single computer, etc. So I need recommendations in terms of brands, turbo/intercooler sizes for my car and how/where they should mount, best products to replace all the intake/exhaust piping and structures. ECU flash loading products that are the best for power as well as efficiency and variety in program selection (OEM, stage 1, 2, race gas, transmission programs, etc). I don't know anything about this stuff specifically (I don't even know for example what the different sizes of turbos are and what are their pros and cons). Now, sometime next week I'm going to my performance shop and having a sit-down with the guys as to the plan they are to follow: what to buy, how to install, end product goals for performance and drivability. I'd like to already have at least some useful knowledge/ideas in mind going into this meeting.

All input and recommendations are appreciated, and if I failed to mention something here that you feel would be a wise investment, by all means tell me about it. Thanks

-Jason
Linthicum, MD

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Sounds like you want a track car rather than a road legal car that passes emissions testing every year? U.K Gov. is planning to ban the sale of diesel and gas cars from 2030. You may have longer in the States, but alternative non-fossil fueled cars are getting closer and many European car manufacturers are now developing alternatives whilst scaling down traditional engine production. Over a short distance even a modest new electric vehicle should out accelerate gas guzzling muscle cars. :)

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
258 Posts
Okay, first, I'm a US driver with a 2010 Eos Komfort, TSI, about 94k miles. I am now at the end of a long story that has no relevance here other than to say money is not an object and I am rebuilding/replacing the engine/turbo/piping/hosing/intake/exhaust/computers/everything you can think of in terms of OE that sucks, with my end goal being a daily driver that I can use as my daily driver but turn into a monster sleeper (likely with some brand of mobile ECU/transmission program flash-loader) for weekend sprees.
I will be replacing first, obviously, ALL intake and exhaust components, and all cheap OE plastic nonsense such as the intake manifold and whatever else is made of plastic that should rightly be either aluminum or some alloy. The turbocharger, intercooler, and all necessary components/connections are going in favor of something BETTER. At the moment, a new mechatronic unit is on its way to my shop and when the trans is accessed for the installation there may be a rebuild or replacement if needs be. Same thing with the innards of the engine...I'm thinking of replacing the HPFP, getting beefier injectors, stronger, perhaps hardened valves and titanium springs/retainers for a safer higher redline along with piston heads/rings. New camshafts with moderately more aggressive lobes (not something for the racetrack) are also a less necessary possibility, and at the end of the list would be things that are only to be replaced if this project demands them for reliability's sake - things like a new crankshaft, rods, engine mounts, so forth.

So you may think well it seems like I know what I want already, but this is my dilemma and what I need input with: I'm just coming to performance mods for newer, German, forced induction cars. My comfort zone is muscle cars running huge engines gulping gallons of race fuel totally mechanically, without a single computer, etc. So I need recommendations in terms of brands, turbo/intercooler sizes for my car and how/where they should mount, best products to replace all the intake/exhaust piping and structures. ECU flash loading products that are the best for power as well as efficiency and variety in program selection (OEM, stage 1, 2, race gas, transmission programs, etc). I don't know anything about this stuff specifically (I don't even know for example what the different sizes of turbos are and what are their pros and cons). Now, sometime next week I'm going to my performance shop and having a sit-down with the guys as to the plan they are to follow: what to buy, how to install, end product goals for performance and drivability. I'd like to already have at least some useful knowledge/ideas in mind going into this meeting.

All input and recommendations are appreciated, and if I failed to mention something here that you feel would be a wise investment, by all means tell me about it. Thanks

-Jason
Linthicum, MD
Your really asking in the wrong forum. EOS owners are barely able to treat their roof seals, let alone build their car for performance. I would investigate the GTI/Golf R forums for ideas about performance enhancements. Those guys are getting big power with larger turbo's/intercoolers, exhaust and intake systems. They have done the leg work to figure out what parts synergize.

Personally though, I wouldn't track a EOS, too heavy and too much body flex. FWIW, most car clubs won't even let a convertible on the track anyway (hard top or soft top) without a roll bar in them. If I was going down this route, I would either go with a R32 or a Golf R, start out with a lighter, stiffer platform with all wheel drive and mod from there. Aftermarket support is much stronger for those models.

·
Registered
177 Posts
To each his own, but I would agree with 2phast on this one. There are way better ways to get a sleeper than to trick out an EOS and as he said, you’ll face significant hurtles tracking one. One accidental bump to the rear and you could trash the top and at $10-15k to sort that out you may find that money IS an object. The most I would ever do to an EOS might be a Stage 1 engine/transmission tune and keep the fun to expressing yourself at stoplight starts. Now there have been maybe been a couple of impressive builds pop up here that take it to the more extreme side, but you’ll have to dig to find them. If you decide to proceed, the earlier advice of hitting the GolfR/GTI forums is the best approach.

Reactions: voxmagna

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
A busted or leaking EOS roof will cost a lot more to fix than all the addon tricks. If the roof isn't repairable, nobody will buy it and all the money spent, work done and car value will be for scrap. However nothing is impossible, even if it's just for short term fun on a car that isn't best suited.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts