Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something we should all think about and rehearse are the instructions to manually lift or lower the roof, which involves turning the valve on the pump.

When I quickly looked at the pump in the trunk I was short of time, but hadn't even worked out how to remove the cover!

My thinking is to go through the procedure in the driveway. Make sure any tools or 'keys' are always stored in the trunk, discover if you yeally do need two people to lift or raise manually and to put into 'plain English' VW descriptive terms like: 'important - make sure the roof is locked in position' before driving'.

If somebody here has already done it and can add any more than what's in the driver handbook it would be a useful post. What I don't want to do is rehearse it then find the roof sensors go out of sync and I get a new problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Would anybody explain what is the emercency manual closing procedure for the vw eos roof.

Thier must be a way to close the roof,by hand.

It's still raining in ireland and my roof is still open lol

Help please

Gary

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi Gary,
Welcome to the club.
Sorry to hear you're having troubles with your roof, especially while it's raining.
The procedure for manual closing is quite involved so I would suggest you either get a manual from VW or search online for one, you might find a pdf type of thing.
From your other post you mentioned a cable, is it a rayon thread cable or a steel one? If steel then it will have a fair bit of tension in it, if it's fabric it might just be the one that operates the flap on the rear quarter and you might be able to manually "frig" it to get things moving.
Be very careful putting your hands in the mechanism, if the hydraulic pressure bleeds away you might have to re-learn how to type/drive/drink etc!
A picture would help if you can manage it, there are plenty of helpful folk on here but we need plenty of info to work with and pictures speak volumes.
Good luck mate,
Regards,
John
ps you have looked in the "hidden" shelf in the top of the glovebox haven't you?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Gary, A couple of things:
To be able to move the roof you need to open the tap on the hydraulic pump which is in the spare wheel well. With this open the only resistance you should have is the "stiction " in the linkages etc. You might find you can then move the roof/trunk to get the tension off the cables. Be sure to keep everything true and square so nothing gets twisted, a second pair of hands would be very useful. If you do manage to get it closed don't drive off until you're sure it's locked, I think a battery disconnect might be needed to set everything back to the null position. (you might then need your head unit code!!)
Hope you get somewhere with this and please accept that this info is given in good faith and it's your responsibility if it goes rats!!!!:D

Regards,
John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you Guys

Thanks for the input guys,invaluable.

Decided to have the car towed to vw,the information has given me great insight,for future events.

The manuel ATL supplied was just what was needed thats for the link.
John, i should have mentioned that i,m unable to open the boot,so am un able to speand any further time scratching my head.Thanks John for trying to help
Again Thanks

Gary

·
Registered
171 Posts
Gary, any feedback from the dealers would be useful for other members, when you get time.
Regards,
John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quick update:

The garage has attached the clip to the right hand side flap and have said the windows now close.
However they are saying they can not close the roof,as the lift motor is water damaged.
To ensure they are correct can someone confirm,that the manuel closing procedure of the roof,doesn't require the motor to be working ?

As the garage is known for overcharging and I would like the roof up in order to pass the motor work to another garage.

Thanks

Gary

·
Registered
478 Posts
This whole procedure seems like something that should NOT be attempted by a novice. A better plan might be to store a tarp in the boot. They lay flat and don't take up much room.

If you find yourself in this situation in the rain and you can't get under cover (bridge, etc), cover the open area with the tarp. A few bungies should keep the open area covered until the rain stops. If it's not raining, drive directly to a dealer for repair. Even on a cold day, with the heater going full blast and the seat heats on, it's not a bad way to go. While I've never had the top stuck down, I have driven on cold days and it's quite comfortable although my wife would probably disagree.

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would recommend everybody with an EOS buys a full car cover. I bought one for wifey 18 months ago. It came very compact in a small carry case, the size of a vanity case (ladies!)

I haven't been carrying it in the car and it sat in the house unused. Then the passenger door glass went down right down in my driveway and stuck down with a rain storm coming on.

For the first time the full cover went on and kept the car dry until the rain stopped and I could take the door apart and replace the window lifter. Oh, and having a spare car is also a handy thing to have!

I'm now looking into a 'top cover' which is a lot less fabric and covers just the top half of the car down to the front/rear screens and just below the side window glasses.

I've tried 3 mail order types and they all fail to fit because they are 'generic' and the EOS has a very rounded front and rear shape. I'm now looking for a top cover that's a proper fit. It will have velcro pockets in the right place for the mirrors to hold it on, and velcro or elastic ties fixing to the door openers or hooking down under the wheel arches at the rear.

I'm still searching in UK for an EOS tailored top cover that fits and stays on! I shall put that on in Winter to stop frosty windows, frozen door seals and locks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts