Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again

Some may remember me from the old forum where I swapped a roof on my silver 2007 Eos.

I have the same car, and am in the middle of doing the same thing again.

Anyone interested in the seeing a few pics??

John
ps, can't find my old posts, is there a reason for this?

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
Yes, because I think you are the only one that has done the lot! There are a few here now with bent or busted roofs. Putting a golf umbrella diagonally across the trunk cover in the down position isn't healthy, neither is an elders walking frame in the trunk! One thing often cropping up is problems with the sunroof guides and certain 'plastic?' parts that break and jam the sunroof or stop the top roof side members swinging out, before they come back in to align with holes in the 'A' pillars.

I've had both my top side members apart but not as far as the hinging mechanism, although I knew it was under the black rubber gaitor in front of me.

Any details and photos would help these members.
PS: The site has been revamped. You are showing 38 posts. If you used a host server like photobucket for photos linked into posts that can be problematic.

Regards - Vox

·
Super Moderator
2,361 Posts
Yes, because I think you are the only one that has done the lot! There are a few here now with bent or busted roofs. Putting a golf umbrella diagonally across the trunk cover in the down position isn't healthy, neither is an elders walking frame in the trunk! One thing often cropping up is problems with the sunroof guides and certain 'plastic?' parts that break and jam the sunroof or stop the top roof side members swinging out, before they come back in to align with holes in the 'A' pillars.

I've had both my top side members apart but not as far as the hinging mechanism, although I knew it was under the black rubber gaitor in front of me.

Any details and photos would help these members.
PS: The site has been revamped. You are showing 38 posts. If you used a host server like photobucket for photos linked into posts that can be problematic.

Regards - Vox
MODERATOR COMMENT: Re the Photobucket comment by Vox above - when Photobucket ceased their "free" service and adopted a "fee for service" business model some years ago, they closed access to their archives which resulted in a high proportion of images posted by members using the Photobucket "free service" to archive their images were lost forever.

Our forum software was later replaced with new software that allowed direct posting of images by members which eliminated the need to use an image hosting service like Photobucket.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
Thanks SS. I know sites like posters using webhosting links because it saves on their bandwidth. I've never used them because the long term success and future for an enthusiasts site lies in their information and archives. The old site always accepted 'attachment uploads' if you resized camera photos which I tended to do. Some liked to 'embed' photos in posts and chose the photobucket hosting links. This made posts easier to read on portable devices. The new site is better because it allows uploaded photos to be embedded inside post text as well as attachments.

There's no guarantee that any site will last forever and it was just a matter of time before photohosting sites went from free to subscription. I think the rub with Photobucket was the authors couldn't retrieve their uploads. I read recently that YouTube are moving to insert ads in uploaded video content and not paying contributors unless they are 'partners'.

Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The story so far is my car a silver 2007 2.0 TFSi was purchased with a non working roof.

With the help of many people on this forum, i purchased a spare roof, and installed it complete.

However, I couldn't get the sunroof working properly, and never figured out the routing for the headliner tensioning string.

I then purchased a full operational blue 1.6 fsi Eos, to use as a template, however before this plan came, into affect someone made me a great offer and I sold the blue car....

12 months passed, and I heard the blue car had been written off in a front end smash, I took a gamble and bought the full car from the salvage yard (it is a scrapper, but has a good engine / box, and fully working roof).

So I have removed the roof from the silver car (using an overhead crane), and have this stored, and today I have removed the roof from the blue car and fitted it to the silver car.

I'm going to transplant all the roof kit from the blue car to get it working then break it (anyone need parts?).

I'll take pics tomorrow and post them

John

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
I did a lot of wiring loom re-work around the top roof side members. I foresaw the issue with routing the strings at the rear before I started because I had to disconnect some. First I went around each string anchor with different paint colors marking them and where they went, then with all the anchors in rainbow colors I took photos. Once I got one set of side strings back correctly routed and fixed, I copied what I did on the other side. EOS's are designed like humans 'though not as reliable - there's nearly always a mirror image of assemblies across each side. Good luck with the project.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts