·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Other question: If this doesn’t fit, has anybody seen vertical display for EOS?

·
Registered
965 Posts
I don't know how that's supposed to fit, but the Eos only shares its dashboard with the Scirocco. The trim around the radio and climate controls is different on the Golf/Jetta/Sagitar.

If you want a vertical display, you should look at one that doesn't replace the entire dash trim but just the head unit section - something like this?

Reactions: Jhay

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know how that's supposed to fit, but the Eos only shares its dashboard with the Scirocco. The trim around the radio and climate controls is different on the Golf/Jetta/Sagitar.

If you want a vertical display, you should look at one that doesn't replace the entire dash trim but just the head unit section - something like this?
Thank you!

OK, The dashboards are not same, so Sagitar display doesn’t fit. I was planning display, which could work also with air condition etc. It’s a pitty that EOS is so rare that nobody does displays just for EOS (and Scirocco).

Thanks for the vertical display link, that looks nice too! It is not exactly what I had in mind in first place but that will be next option for me.

·
Registered
965 Posts
If your Eos has the mk5 Climatronic (three equal-sized dials) then the climate control wouldn't work with those vertical display things. You would need at least mk6 (two dials, buttons in the middle for fan speed) to have a chance of a head unit controlling the air conditioning. (Of course, you need Climatronic, not the manual air conditioning.)

I don't know how good the head unit I linked to is - you would really need to look into compatibility. Since your Eos is from 2010 you shouldn't have any issues with the gateway or anything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If your Eos has the mk5 Climatronic (three equal-sized dials) then the climate control wouldn't work with those vertical display things. You would need at least mk6 (two dials, buttons in the middle for fan speed) to have a chance of a head unit controlling the air conditioning. (Of course, you need Climatronic, not the manual air conditioning.)

I don't know how good the head unit I linked to is - you would really need to look into compatibility. Since your Eos is from 2010 you shouldn't have any issues with the gateway or anything.
That is also very good information for me, I have Climatronic in my EOS. Thank you!

·
Registered
965 Posts
Any time! :) Welcome to the forum, and stick around - given you’re looking into a head unit upgrade, it’s worth reading through the various threads to find more fun modifications to do. Well, I think they’re fun, anyway ;)

·
Registered
261 Posts
It is for VW Sagitar and it seems to be quite near to EOS dashboard. Can anyone tell, is there difference between EOS and Sagitar dashboards?
Quite near? Its a similar size, but then aren't all dashboards across all cars a vaguely similar size? Sagitar is a Chinese variation LWB saloon based on the Jetta Mk7 (which is & isn't based on the Golf Mk7....), the Jetta line (I'm including Vento and Bora in that) split off and kinda went its own way Mk6 onwards. And of course, the Chinese models went their own way somewhat, too.

The chances of a DIYer getting it working are slim to none.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
From what I could see of the screens, it's getting some information from CAN diagnostics. If true then that's another compatibility challenge.

I like a simple life: The EOS like the Toureg, Golf and other vags uses a standardised EU DIN module head unit aperture size. If something else is vertical and larger, is it another DIN module size or a special and have they designed the dash around it? There is quite a large aftermarket in alternative standardised DIN head units and connector configuration. Pity if manufacturers want to lock you into their vertical units and software upgrades.

·
Registered
965 Posts
From what I could see of the screens, it's getting some information from CAN diagnostics. If true then that's another compatibility challenge.
It looks to me like the unit @Jhay found replaces the Climatronic module completely! That's a very different kind of compatibility challenge. The smaller one I found will probably just show the Climatronic information (assuming you have a mk6 or mk7 Climatronic module) and not be able to change the settings. Given that the big version is specified as compatible with a 2012+ Sagitar which has mk7 electronics, it's possible that it may not work completely with the rest of the car - to my knowledge mk6 and mk7 Climatronic works more-or-less the same way, but Climatronic talks to the engine computer as part of managing the load on the compressor, so it's not guaranteed that a 2010 car would have everything that this unit expects. On the other hand, it's an Android device so will probably be based on some common generic code - which is both a good and bad thing: it may be compatible with a wider range of cars, but it may not be fully functional or support all quirks.

I also suspect that the bezel around the big vertical display is an interchangeable part, because they'll make the head unit and display to fit anything double-DIN and add the custom bezel to make it a precise fit on several models of car. But since they don't have an Eos/Scirocco bezel, you'd have to make your own. You might be able to get away with trimming the existing bezel to fit the new unit, but I wouldn't go spending $500 on a head unit that might not fit properly and may not be compatible with all the electronics. I'd also go and buy a new bezel rather than trying to trim the one I have!

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Thanks. It sounds like a project for somebody like you with lots of experience matching the electronics? :) I tend to avoid projects like that unless somebody else has actually proven a mod. working (on an EOS) or if I have loads of time to be first and accept failure might come at the end.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After some reseach and by your good comments, conclusion is that there isn’t this kind of display for EOS at market. If the problem was just frame, that could be solved with printing new one. Risks with electronics are too much for me. Pitty, that would be very nice modification if that was possible. :(

I have done some modifications like this for my other cars and those were very funny DIYs and made car couple years newer.

I decided to order ”traditional” android display for my EOS. It has also option for 360 surroundview, so maybe I get some new challenges with that unit. Let’s see. :)

·
Registered
965 Posts
I don’t know what the 360 surround view would look like, but it’ll be good to find out!

For me, anything with Carplay/Android Auto is a revolution. Being able to figure out where you want to go before you get in the car and having it magically transfer to the head unit, having all the music on your phone displayed there, the same interface as your phone - that’s pretty impressive. (I’m still not swapping out my RNS510 because the only thing that will support my Dynaudio amp is the MIB PQ35 - and that has its own issues like component protection and not being fully compatible with a 2007 Eos...)

·
Registered
1 Posts
After some reseach and by your good comments, conclusion is that there isn’t this kind of display for EOS at market. If the problem was just frame, that could be solved with printing new one. Risks with electronics are too much for me. Pitty, that would be very nice modification if that was possible. :(

I have done some modifications like this for my other cars and those were very funny DIYs and made car couple years newer.

I decided to order ”traditional” android display for my EOS. It has also option for 360 surroundview, so maybe I get some new challenges with that unit. Let’s see. :)
I'm curious; what specifically did you order?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts