Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we finally have our first snow of the winter here (2nd one in ownership) and I must say that the Eos with Bridgestone tyres is the worst car for traction I have ever had. It needs a little snow (2-3cm) and the traction control is on and the steering stops. Its crap. If ever a car needed 4WD then this is it. Its so worrying when the skid starts and there is no steering, a real pants stainer.

My Toyota FWD had the same tyres and never suffered the same problems. All my other Fords prior to the Toyota never showed the same characteristics either. I can only assume you are supposed to change the tyres every time it snows (a bit inconvenient in the UK as the snow only lasts about a day or three).

Anyone else noticed this or is it just the tyres?:confused:

1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, ESP is standard, and on, but all that does is prevent excessive skids and keeps the car in a straight line. A separate traction control may help but it is not an option on the Eos. My Toyota had both.
Must admit though the Fords I had all had Pirelli tyres as well, it may just be the Bridgestones. The Bridgestones are great in the summer though once they warm up the grip is excellent.

· Registered
38 Posts
Used to have an MG TF with Bridgestone Potenza tyres and they were rubbish in the cold, regardless of whether it was snowing or not. Great grip when warm though. Had a similar problem with Conti's on my current car.

Edit: So what does snow look like anyway. Down south it said we'd get snow, but all we got is fog!

· Registered
682 Posts
its cold wet and white lol can end up grey and slushy too when its been drove/walked on :) be glad you dont get snow its too cold!! :)

Stephb xx

· Registered
100 Posts
Yep, ESP is standard, and on, but all that does is prevent excessive skids and keeps the car in a straight line. A separate traction control may help but it is not an option on the Eos. My Toyota had both.
Must admit though the Fords I had all had Pirelli tyres as well, it may just be the Bridgestones. The Bridgestones are great in the summer though once they warm up the grip is excellent.
The Eos has both ESP and Traction Control. Normally when you hit the ESP off switch you switch off the ESP function and that leaves the TC on and holding the ESP off switch for longer switches both systems off. I have read the EOS manual and from that it would appear the you get both switched off at the same time. However this is different to other vehicles that I have owned so I am not 100% certain that this is the case.

· justcarkits
109 Posts
Mine came with Pirellis, so could be a tyre issue.
From experience, wide low profile tyres and snow never make great partners - once had a 309 GTi that was great fun in most conditions but hated snow. Makes a massive difference to driveability on snow if you let out 5 to 10 Lbs of pressure. Hopefully, an easier solution than changing tyres.
Generally, the wider the tyre the easier it gets clogged up - the 2CV is supposed to be a doddle in the snow, but then again wouldn't buy one either..

· Registered
78 Posts
My Eos skids when the roads wet! I am scared to put my foot down at a jumction cause I know the wheels will spin! I wont take it out if it snows!

· Complete Carnut
1,553 Posts
My Eos skids when the roads wet! I am scared to put my foot down at a jumction cause I know the wheels will spin! I wont take it out if it snows!

With nearly 200 bhp going through those front wheels judicious use of the loud pedal is strongly recommended when it is wet and especially when it is icy!

407 Posts
Used to have an MG TF with Bridgestone Potenza tyres and they were rubbish in the cold, regardless of whether it was snowing or not. Great grip when warm though. Had a similar problem with Conti's on my current car.

Edit: So what does snow look like anyway. Down south it said we'd get snow, but all we got is fog!
its cold wet and white lol can end up grey and slushy too when its been drove/walked on :) be glad you dont get snow its too cold!! :)

Stephb xx
just dont eat the yellow snow, eh?:D

· Owl Member
265 Posts
With nearly 200 bhp going through those front wheels judicious use of the loud pedal is strongly recommended when it is wet and especially when it is icy!
Ya got me there NEH321, whats the 'loud' pedal, I want one too!
David

· Registered
478 Posts
Common sense would indicate that you should NOT drive as fast in snow or ice. Cars usually get into spins, etc by careless driving.

If you got to go fast, maybe you should get yourself some "studded" tires for your studded driving habits.

1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree with you 100%. However the problem is not speed related when you are crawling in of traffic and the front end is slipping and sliding it does not inspire confidence. Studded tyres would be a solution, but here these would almost require to be removed on a daily basis due to the four seasons in one day we can have. I think its just the make of tyres that is the problem cause in the warmer weather the grip is excellent.

· Life is good... so far
1,232 Posts
I have had the Eos out in the snow only once and yes the car does not accelerate very well in snow. I think there are several factors that come into play. The engine is light and puts out good power and the drive axle which is geared for more torque, makes the wheels spin easier. Being there is not enough weight to track, the options are limited. You could go to a more open tread tire. If you have a manual transmission, you could start out in second gear. Where we we live it is more practical to use snow tires and those who have report improved traction. Also some drivers of the V6 say they somewhat better traction ability do to the extra weight. As for once your are in motion, careful driving would be advised and the awareness that stopping requires more thought as well.

· Registered
478 Posts
I think its just the make of tyres that is the problem cause in the warmer weather the grip is excellent.
After further thought on the matter, perhaps you're right about the Eos not being a good vehicle in snow because of the traction problem. If so, the problem might further be defined as related to the turbo feature of the engine. I have the 6-speed auto and as you probably know, it requires a light foot on acceleration to avoid having the turbo kick-in. I would venture to say that the full stick transmission would be better in icy conditions because of manual control of the clutch.

I think it's safe to say if the turbo kicks in at all, on snow or ice, the wheels will spin. There is just too much torque for the weight of the vehicle on a slippery surface. The only cure would be bigger tires that grip better.

This is all theory as I haven't tried my Eos on snow or ice. I have a AWD Jeep Commander for that duty.

1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Absolutely, turn the steering wheel and nothing happens may be funny to watch but scary when you are driving in traffic. The Eos in the video is travelling quite fast for the conditions, I was finding it difficult to exceed 10mph without the yellow warning light on the dash flashing on. If you have the same tyres beware on snow!

cheers

· Registered
28 Posts
Check your tire pressure and lower it a bit. The more pressure you have in your tires, the harder they are and cannot supply as much traction as a tire with less tire pressure. You can drive on tires with low air pressure but you should not go fast, which you shouldn't do in the snow anyhow. The TPS will probably give warnings but hey, what are you gonna do? :)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.