Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Eos. Last week two of the yellow warning lights turned on- "EPC" and one in the shape of an engine. I took it to the Chevy dealer where I bought it (used) and of course they have no idea what EPC is. The guy looked up the code that came on the code reader and printed me out some information that basically said there is nothing wrong with the functionality of the car, and that the warning lights are computer related. Does anyone know what EPC means (I don't have a manul), and what needs to be done to the car? So far I have noticed absolutely no difference in the way it drives.

Any help is appreciated, although I have googled EPC and found sooo many different opinions, I would really like to hear from someone who has personally experienced this.

·
Save the manuals!
474 Posts
You're best bet is to take the car to a reputable indy VW mechanic, or perish the thought, the dealer. Reading the CEL/MIL and EPC (Electronic Power Control) codes with a generic scanner like the Chevy guy probably did may not tell you the entire story. A generic scanner will show universal OBDII codes for a bad MAF or such, but there are plenty of VW-specific codes.

If the car's acting okay it probably isn't anything serious, could just be a sensor or two getting slightly out of range. Problem is figuring out what's gone awry; you just don't want to start throwing parts at the car.

Someone with Ross-Tech's VAG-COM software could also read the VW codes for you, and clear them as well. Of course, if the problem isn't corrected, the lights will go off again.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
As said, they have to have the newer CAN diagnostics. Best to get it read properly and identify the component giving the error. Then try a fault code reset and see if it goes away.

The thing I hate about these ECUs is certain faults can stay with a light lit for a short time/mileage, then if mother thinks that particular code is serious or the same fault repeats x times, the car can be put into 'limp home' mode.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2010 Eos and the EPC and check engine light went on and the car limped to a stop. It wouldn't start again. what can I expect

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
You can expect your EOS to be scanned with a diagnostics tool which will give far more information than what you can tell from the lights.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts