Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! It's my first time posting but I've lurked around a little.

I have a 2008 Eos, purchased used in 2012 with only 12k miles on it at the time. Up to 60k now and my "car child" is doing awesome for the most part.... except for the damn water ingress problem that just popped up. I missed out on the class action lawsuit, wasn't even aware of it until this.

Last time it rained the floor on the front and rear passenger side flooded. Carpeting was completely soaked, rest of the car totally dry. Took me about a week to even realize the flooding happened because I had rubberized mats in the car and the tops of them were dry and there were no obvious leaks I could see and no water running down the inside of the car.

Took the Eos in to a place specializing in German cars. They flushed out the roof drainage tubes that drain to the front of the car, said the passenger side one was completely blocked. Got the car totally dry, no smell. Have been airing out the car constantly, driving around blasting the heater through the floor vents only, removed the floor mats.

We got a little rain and when I got in this morning I discovered that the front and rear passenger carpets were damp again. Rolled the seat forward to inspect the back carpet and discovered three sizable rubbery :eek: MUSHROOMS :eek: coming out of the carpet under the seat. The carpet was totally dry when they grew, I did a full interior cleaning of the car 6 days ago and so it's amazing how fast this happened!

So... does anyone have any advice as far as:

1 - What do I do now? Is this a bigger issue than getting the tubes cleaned out?

2 - I think they only flushed the tubes that drain along the front of the car, out the bottom near the door hinge. Are there other tubes that drain elsewhere that maybe they didn't get?

3 - Are the mushrooms a sign that I need to get the carpeting torn out and replaced? Since they grew when the carpet was dry I'm assuming the padding underneath is still damp because this happened.

·
Super Moderator
2,366 Posts
When were your roof, boot/trunk and door seals last lubricated and who did this?

Do you rely solely on a VW/independent dealer to service your car?

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
I've posted this before and I'm still waiting for somebody to disagree with me.:p The drains are only there if the roof and sunroof seals have failed to seal. I do not expect water to run into the sunroof frame and come out of the drains. Technicians seem to have a 'drain mentality' that keeps them focussed on the wrong thing.:(

Have a good look at your closed EOS roof then ask yourself the same question: What are the drains there for? There is an issue draining water from the rear of the EOS, but non which requires the front drains. They are like the bucket under a leaking house roof, if you don't want to fix the hole, just keep emptying the bucket!

I would guess you have bad seal contact in the front and rear corners of the sunroof and possibly the top window glass sealing or the door seal. Mushrooms are bad news unless you like them.:eek: With such a serious leak that sounds like it has been for a long time, you now have to get the carpets all pulled out and some kind of bio-killer or chlorine bleach used to decontaminated the floor pans. The carpets will either need deep cleaning with a strong disinfectant or replaced when absolutely dried out and smelling sweet. Mushroom spores can be unhealthy if they are whizzing about in the air flow.

Only when carpets, seats and some trim are removed can an experienced technician work patiently to locate and cure your leak. Do not expect the investigation to be a 1 day job! Once the real source of leak is found, you should expect a dry EOS, provided the roof seals are regularly lubricated and you said nothing about that.:confused:

Don't use a shop that just 'specializes in German cars' - You need a shop that specializes in Cabriolets and understands the EOS roof seal system if you want it right.

You don't sound as though you want to mess with the car yourself. The technicians who are working on your car should be checking there is a seal to seal contact on all the roof and sunroof seals, spending time with a hosepipe and not returning your car until water stops coming out of the front drains. They can even put dry kitchen tissue in the sunroof channels, hose over the car with the roof closed and not return it to you if the tissue is wet. You can try that for yourself.

Once the roof seals are confirmed effective, they then move on to the window glass sealing and door seals. There can be a known problem with a lot of water water running inside the door seal and entering the cabin at low level on the front curve. This would be seen more easily once the carpets and trim are removed. You won't want to see your beloved EOS in this stripped out state. Bite the bullet and have the investigation done properly by a competent and knowledgable VW trained EOS roof technician.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
About a year ago I went to the dealer to see about getting the lubricant for the seals. I was told that I didn't need to do that and they sold me a little $10 or so seal cleaning kit with some little wet wipes in it. I've been reading more online lately about the Krytox and how to do this, and plan on using it on the seals when I'm next able to. I don't have access to a garage so I need to wait until the rain stops and I'm able to dedicate time to doing this properly.

I received quotes of at least $800 from local VW dealerships for cleaning out the drainage tubes. The shop I went to for the repair before has a great local reputation and charged me $200. Honestly, the car hasn't given me any trouble before this, so I haven't had the need for much maintenance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting.... Thanks for your reply!

We've been in a serious drought here the past few years so I don't think the water leaking has happened for very long. I'm starting to think now that it's the seals.

I'm sorry for my ignorance on all of this. I really don't know much about all of this but am making an effort to try to learn. I've just about got the car paid off but this might be too expensive of a repair for me so if it's going to be a lot to repair it I might have to sell, sadly.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
I don't have access to a garage so I need to wait until the rain stops
You have left it a little late, but your best and cheapest investment would have been a half top or full car cover. It gives you time (without a garage) to get a bad leak sorted before it gets really worse. I keep one permanently in the trunk just in case!

The dealer that didn't explain the VW EOS roof service was telling you porkies! :( If you are lucky your problems could be just the sunroof corner sealing which you can restore with Krytox, then get rid of the mushroom problem. If your rubber roof seals feel hard when squeezed, have a whitish look or green algae growth on them, they are badly in need of lubrication.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
You must lubricate EOS roof seals

It really annoys me when somebody puts their trust in a dealer who tells them not to worry about lubricating EOS roof seals. If there was one 'health warning' EOS owners should have it is LUBRICATE THE ROOF SEALS.

LisaFaye like many others is not expected to have technical knowledge and is totally reliant on the advice given. From day 1 when the EOS was launched, 'Roof Service' was hardly mentioned and is hidden away from the usual items on the service list, despite VW issuing a detailed Service Bulletin. This makes the EOS appear to have the same (favorable) service cost as other VWs. :(

Once you have a bottle of Krytox or an alternative, lubricating the seals is no more difficult than washing and Hoovering out the interior. Doing it twice a year on a dry weather day is no big deal. I should have added that another sign is when roof seals tend to pucker up after the roof has closed. This leaves a gap and they WILL leak. Lubrication makes sure the rubber seals slide against each other and keep their shape as they come together.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Having read through this thread, from my experience, voxmagna is 100% correct with his advice and comments.
If it is of any interest Mercedes also sell krytox, part no A0009893660 and it is a few quid cheaper than VW.

Bloss

1 - 9 of 9 Posts