Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I bought a '08 VW Eos a couple of months ago (in Ontario, Canada); I got a pretty good deal on it in part because of its mileage (75,000 kms.). I had it in for a service last week and the dealership suggested to consider purchasing an extended warranty, since the factory one was about to expire (they said at 80,001 kms I was no longer eligible).

These are the prices they gave me:

1) To extend it for another 3 yrs. or 80,000 kms. -> $4,628 CAD (about $4,400 USD).

2) To extend it for another 2 yrs. or 60,000 kms. -> $3,549 CAD (about $3,375 USD).

I thought these prices were a bit outrageous... I am planning on keeping and enjoying my Eos for at least 4-5 more years and I'm debating if it's a good idea to spend that kind of cash on an extended warranty.

Any comments, suggestions or alternatives from my fellow Eos fans will be greatly appreciated..! (I have less than 4,000 kms left to make a decision..!)

Thanks very much..!
Eduardo

·
Registered
116 Posts
You don't have to buy an extended warranty from the dealer-- you can buy then from a number of sources.....I'd suggest shopping around.

·
Super Moderator
2,366 Posts
Two points to consider:

1. Read the fine print very carefully to see what "escape clauses" are present to reduce the liability of the insurer.

2. At the end of the day, the premium is set at a level which covers the average cost of payable warranty clsims as well as providing a profit to the insurer.

I have always "self-insured" and avoided any form of extended warranty insurance - in over 40 years of driving personal and employer-owned vehicles, I cannot remember being in a situation where I regretted not having extended warranty cover. In fact, I could purchase a new vehicle today for cash and still have money in the bank if I had banked the extended warranty premiums that would have been paid on my vehicles over the years.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
There are plenty of VW models out there sharing many parts common to the EOS and shops know how to fix them.

HOWEVER, the EOS roof is unique and the majority of problems reported are roof leaks and seals with increased risk as the EOS gets older. There is major expense involved in getting a roof leak diagnosed, a seal replaced and finding somebody competent to do it.

The VW recommended MONDIAL insurance in UK does not cover roof or seal leaks - only the pump hydraulics. I would suggest they should be pretty reliable. Therefore I turned down the dealer warranty offer, because of that exclusion. I chose to save the premium and spend some of it on a bottle of Krytox and VCDS diagnostics, then take time to do my own twice yearly roof service.

Your most expensive problem might be a replacement ABS unit if the pressure sensor fails like mine - a seemingly common problem across the VAG range. But VW are doing free replacements for some areas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts