Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my EOS in August this year and I'm very pleased so far. This morning was the first day it was parked overnight in sub freezing weather. It was not a good morning. Trunk would not open. (seals stuck I guess). But about 1/8 mile into it there was an amazing sound from the rear of the car which can best be described as sounding as though a hydraulic line were bursting, when a series of chirpy and whining noises followed. I couldn't get the deck lid open, so I couldn't see if anything was blown. Tonight (after work) I'll bring it into the garage, warm it up and look it over. Any ideas? Thanks

·
High Tech Parrothead
160 Posts
i had the same problem with the trunk this morning and got a warning for the coolant on the MFD, hit the switch a couple times and the trunk finally popped and didnt have another issue

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't want to force it. I thought I was going to pull the circular badge off the deck lid as it was. I'll let you know how it goes, though.

·
High Tech Parrothead
160 Posts
try hitting the remote or interior release a few times and try it a couple times, not too hard

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, let it warm up and everything worked fine. I did not retract the hardtop but the decklid opened and closed and nothing appeared broken. My guess is that the stepping motor that you hear whenever you pop the trunk lid was "freaking out" because the bead on the deck lid's rubber seal was frozen solidly to the side and back panels and wouldn't allow normal function of the motor. Hopefully I didn't damage it. The lesson I learned is the rubber bead on the deck lid needs to be lubed to prevent it from freezing to the body panels. Off to the dealership to pick up some lube today.

·
High Tech Parrothead
160 Posts
good advice

·
Registered
304 Posts
One way of preventing this is to lube the boot (trunk) seal. ;) On other cars I used to use Vaseline (a petroleum jelly) on the seals at the start of winter to stop ice gaining a purchase on the seals, on the Eos I'm using Krytox GPL105 (the roof seal lubricant) and that seems to do the job. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts