Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2012 EOS Komfort
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,, despite being into cars for my entire life, I somehow have avoided VW's up until now. Wife found a 2012 Komfort that she liked and we got a pretty decent deal on it. Drove it home on a 1000+ mile trip and no issues whatsoever. Was very impressed by how quiet and rigid the car felt. Got it home and as I always do, replaced all fluids and filters, including DSG.
FF to last week, I'm driving the car, I hear what I thought was the doors locking but soon after, the sunroof started to open on its own. I tried to stop it using the switch but it didn't do anything. It eventually closed itself and was fine for the rest of the drive.
That has happened 3 more times and at least 2 times I hear the unlocking sound and then nothing happens. I've since cleaned and lubed everything I can get to during the various phases of full roof operation but it happened again after. I read a few forums that talked about the contacts on the older rotary switches acting up and needing to be cleaned but nothing like that with the lever style switch in this one.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Best Regards

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
Search the forum for 'gremlins' and 'water in the trunk', then you have to get your hands dirty. You may have been into cars like they used to make them as many of us here have, but do you have experience with all electonically managed modern cars? These cars often need a diagnostics tool to help trace faults and repair them. Most faults can be wiring and electronic modules.

If you bought any car built in the last 10 years it would be full of electronics because that's how they get lower legal emissions and mpg going up from 23mg to 43mpg. The EOS roof system adds a further layer of electro-mechanical complexity. Most cabriolets suffer from seal leak issues and taking on a cabriolet is more work than a non-cab commute car.

You sound like an old hand and you will need to re-learn these new cars which are mostly designed along the same lines. There are no simple switches or rotary switches that make direct connections powering things. Virtually all switches and zillions of electronic sensors connect to a computer control module which connects to another ...and another.. etc and a voltage comes out the last one if you are lucky!

·
Registered
2012 EOS Komfort
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate the reply. Lol, I'm not "that" old and decently well versed in modern cars and electronic modules. Have rebuilt numerous 2012+ wrecks, engine replacements and flood damage cars and had to reprogram, calibrate, reset modules etc. Have been reading as much as I can on the car since we got it and will continue to. Trunk had no evidence of water leaks and I set up a camera and then hosed it down, no leaks, all drains were checked and found to be clear. Will have access to a VW scan tool this weekend, despite no lights on, want to scan it and see if there are any soft faults stored.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
You could start here?
Your type of problem can be hard to find with certainty. If you are out on the road miles from home with the roof stuck half open you won't be able to drive home. If it starts raining you may need a tow truck quickly with a large tarp.
Water leaks aren't always obvious and can be so small your camera won't see them, especially when water is a slow drip-drip running behind trim and under carpets.
A diagnostics scan will help but you are likely to get several fault codes not always correlating to the problem. You have had some diagnostics experience so you will be used to resolving the bad codes and working out the next step.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts