1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Life is good... so far
990 Posts
Actually I posted this video on another club thread started Tomgadgets. I don't own the rights and maybe folks who didn't see it the first time may see it this time. When going after market for lighting there is a lot to consider that many do not realize such as the result of different bulbs in different housings and the difference in the bulbs and installation. Some cars need a more complicated approach such as on many German designed cars like VW, Audi BMW and Mercedes. I have a Honda and the upgrade was simple. What the video doesn't show is the actual install differences. There are on line videos that do. With HIDs on German models a separate wiring harness is often recommended to handle the higher in rush/startup current to protect the car's factory wiring. This necessitates other changes and mods. LEDs while simpler may not be compatible to the cars electrical system. Whatever system is used, research is necessary.
Legality is always an issue. Here in the US we get away with things you can't do elsewhere. We have 50 different states, all with different rules and different levels of enforcement. All you can do is try to not make whatever you do not make yourself too noticeable to law enforcement.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
The video did some things correctly. First they set their camera for manual exposure unlike the many posts and photos for Chinese products for before and after. Incidentally, The approximate perceived brightness - sqr.root Measured Brightness. You take the difference in his Lux measurements as a percentage and apply the sqr.root formula to estimate how much brighter a light option would be. I don't understand the slow warm up of his HID lamps, my 35w kits don't do that so badly?

Over here the testers will look at the back of the reflector/projector and any CE marks relevant to the type of lamps fitted. The 'H' series bulb holders are designed for halogen and I suspect the OEs must make the fittings a different standard for leds to stop wrong lamps being used. Xenon OEs will use R series twist and lock bulbs which aren't grafts on to a high voltage wiring harness. I don't know what the OE leds in Mercs etc are using, but I bet it isn't compatible with an H halogen bulb. Most of uk testing is done by inspection and looking. The aftermarkets want to sell plug and play so make them to suit 'H' series harness connectors. The rear end fan must be a giveaway?.

Having done some PC watercooling, I had this idea that high power led bulbs could just have compact water blocks on their rear ends and use a small pump system with remote rad.?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts