Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I found an old thread here for someone selling front fender assemblies, but wanted to know if rust-through is somehow a "lifetime" warranty? I was told that from a body shop, but haven't yet checked in with a VW dealer.

It's a 2007 EOS......
2007 VW EOS front fender.jpg

I have attached a photo of the passenger front fender. The driver's side is almost as bad. I don't think it is body shop repairable?

Old parts for sale: For Sale - 07 - 11 VW Eos Driver's Front Fender - Black

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
I already posted something about this. V.W anti corrosion warranty usually requires you to have the car serviced and inspected by them when they can try and catch this problem early (unlikely). V.W will define what they mean by 'corrosion' and are unlikely to compensate when the paint starts to bubble when it's all too late. IMHO even with a fully maintained EOS, I wouldn't expect anything beyond 10 years? If you were offered anything now, they might give you some goodwill and you pay the labor. But a pair of new aftermarket fenders fitted and painted in a non-V.W shop could be a lot cheaper?

If you search the auction sites you may find sellers selling new front Fenders (Wings) for the EOS. They are bolt on, no welding and not too hard to fit DIY after the front bumper and grill is removed. Mine were of Tiawan origin (?) and cost about £95 each compared to circa £250+ from the stealer. I assume they were patterns and I had very few problems getting them aligned with correct shut lines. By the time a body shop has tried to repair, fill, and repair your fenders it will probably cost more than replacing and repainting them and you will see the repair. Later on you will get the rot somewhere else.

This is why your fenders have rotted: Inside the top arch of the fender behind the plastic cover, and vertically down the inside near the door hinges V.W use a thick wadge of their famous water absorbing 'open cell' gray foam which sits in contact with the metal fender. You can't see the corrosion progressing and it usually shows first along the top center line of the fender. The foam is used to reduce some of the tire noise.

If you bite the bullet and replace both with new, you can get the painter to add coats of anti-stone chip paint to the inside of each before painting the outside. And of course you remove and trash their nasty foam. You will hardly notice any change in cabin noise level.

·
Registered
2012 EOS Komfort
6 Posts
I am currently going thru this process with my 2012. It's taken multiple calls to corporate, a visit to the VW bodyshop, then the dealer then the bodyshop again and all I was told is that they would submit their findings. The guy that specializes in EOS did say that he thought the issue was resolved by the end of the 2011 run but that the condition on my car is "textbook" I'll update as I hear more from them
Hi all,
I found an old thread here for someone selling front fender assemblies, but wanted to know if rust-through is somehow a "lifetime" warranty? I was told that from a body shop, but haven't yet checked in with a VW dealer.

It's a 2007 EOS...... View attachment 22921

I have attached a photo of the passenger front fender. The driver's side is almost as bad. I don't think it is body shop repairable?

Old parts for sale: For Sale - 07 - 11 VW Eos Driver's Front Fender - Black

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
I think they will fill you with false hope, you will keep getting the runaround and may end up having to pay some or all the cost for just 1 fender? At that point the cost of 2 aftermarket EOS front fenders fitted and painted by a 3rd party body shop may work out a lot cheaper. If you have one bad, the other will also be bad, even though the rot doesn't show through the paint yet.

You could ask what the resolution was? I resolved it myself and I'm more confident about my replacement fix.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I reached out to VW and they said the coverage lasts for only 12 years. So although I am still ok, I missed the door by a little under a year so no hook up for me.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
V.W anti corrosion warranty usually requires you to have the car serviced and inspected by them
I think that means if you have had V.W FSH, including annual corrosion inspection and spent money over the years with the Stealer, you might have got somewhere. But after so long if you hadn't got the V.W FSH you will probably save more money with a DIY replacement fender and repaint, if it's done by a cheaper independent body repair shop.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all, Thanks so much for this feedback.

So, I am going to attempt to replace the front fender skirts on my 2007 red EOS....

Here in the USA, it looks like used fenders can be procured on EBay or new ones from several sources.
(e.g. https://www.carparts.com/details/Volkswagen/Eos/Replacement/2007-2016/V220120.html)

I am looking for a few videos of the assembly process...According to what I have read, you remove the front grill, then the front bumper assembly, and then you can get to the fender skirt bolts....Any special clues along the way?

All I find is similar videos for VW Golf and Jetta...likely "good enough"....

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
It's all fairly straightforward. Removing the front bumper is the biggest hassle because there's a hidden plastic locking part up inside on either side. It's your choice, but IMHO leave out the gray foam they pack in at the top and down the rear sides. There are 2 vertical ABS filler pieces used each side at the back, they may break removing them. They are cheap, I bought both new from the stealer.

I had a decent job done cheap by the painter and did most of the prep. work. I left off the inner wheel arch liners, the fenders were held on by a couple of bolts and the bumper was attached with bungey when I drove the car the short distance. I left the new fenders in the car because I wanted the insides painted off the car with anti stone chip. The painter attached both new aftermarket fenders and said one side shut lines were perfect and the other side needed a small 'tweak'. By that he mean't pushing the part in the right place to change the stress and get the shut lines correct.

The metal thickness is so thin and lightweight you will appreciate why it's not worth taking the risk and messing about with used, when 2/3rds the cost is labor and painting unless you can get a pair with perfect color match and much newer. But excludes facelift so you are still looking for used at least 10 years old.

·
Registered
2012 EOS Komfort
6 Posts
Happy to report that we got the EOS back today, VWOA covered the cost of parts, labor and paint as well as a loaner car for the time it was in the shop. Sorry to hear that most of your experiences were so negative. The car had never been to this dealership before and had only seen VW dealer service a handful of times over its life.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Happy to report that we got the EOS back today, VWOA covered the cost of parts, labor and paint as well as a loaner car for the time it was in the shop. Sorry to hear that most of your experiences were so negative. The car had never been to this dealership before and had only seen VW dealer service a handful of times over its life.
Who did you contact? I was told it was not covered for a 2008.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
I thought most corrosion warranties were 10 years and required the vehicle bodywork to be inspected by V.W as part of routine annual service? Corrosion warranties usually require a body part to be 'perforated' to qualify for a claim which in practice means paint can bubble and look really bad before metal 'perforates'.

If you DIY service then over 10 years you save a shed load of money at the Stealer and should't grumble at paying for an aftermarket fender and getting it painted? That's what I did for both mine, replaced both headlamps and the front of MY07 now looks like new.

·
Registered
2012 EOS Komfort
6 Posts
Who did you contact? I was told it was not covered for a 2008.
I called the dealership first then VW customer service . The corrosion warranty in the US is 12 years so if you have an 08, the coverage would have expired in 2020 for the latest (assuming in service date was sometime in 2008) looking at the quality of the oe vs aftermarket fenders, I'd try to find a pair of used, there's lots of these cars in the junkyards here, almost all for engine or transmission issues so the bodies are perfect. In south florida alone, I've located 8 being scrapped at self service yards of all different colors. Many have had fender replacements already so you can find non affected pieces.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
looking at the quality of the oe vs aftermarket fenders
What did you find wrong with the quality of aftermarket fenders? I bought mine from Fleabay, can't remember but I think they were made in Indonesia? The first thing I did was put a micrometer on the metal and it was the same thickness with the same brown electroprimer coating as the OE. I haven't done a metallurical comparison of the steel quality, but I put far more paint on them inside and out than V.W. The profile shape and fitting was so good I almost thought they had been manufactured on the same jigs used to supply V.W?

Of the two new fenders I bought, only one needed a slight pull to shape to get the shut lines correct. In view of the floppiness of these things I wasn't surprised. Buying aftermarket new they arrived as they had been packed for export and shipped into U.K with the packaging adequately supporting the fender protecting it from damage in transit. If you buy used online, you have no idea how they will be packed and what further damage could occur in shipping. Forcefed is lucky to have a local resource where he can remove them. In U.K that all stopped for safety reasons and now used parts are sold off the car already dismantled to sell to an online market. If you are removing from a used car, they will have had the same water absorbing foam blocks sitting in contact with the fender at the top and rear sides.

·
Registered
2012 EOS Komfort
6 Posts
The ones here we're from Taiwan and did not match the headlight contour well so would have required grinding and filler, they also "wobbled" alot easier than the original ones when held and twisted. I did ask about the foam being the cause of the rot because I was going to remove it myself and was told that they do not put it back after a warranty repair. I confirmed this on my car as well as 2 others at the scrap yard. It's only a matter of time before we lose self service yards. Lots of lawsuits that arise from stupidity.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
Perhaps there is mixed quality and I was lucky? Mine were fitted by a body shop who did the repainting. If V.W had removed the foam fillers during their regular corrosion inspection at an early vehicle age, I think the fenders would have outlasted their warranty period. The online service yards here do catalogue their parts well with vehicle year and V.W part numbers which makes searching a lot easier than visiting several yards. There are now parts search engines which will search as many parts sellers as possible and email you matches with offer prices, although these tend to be at the high price end since they know you might be desperate, but it helps if you are looking for a specific paint color part.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts