#1 ·
The drivers seat has stopped sliding forwards when we let the kids in the back

Is there something simple to check or is a trip back to dealer on the cards

No problems with passenger seat, that tilt and slides fine

#3 ·
The drivers seat has stopped sliding forwards when we let the kids in the back

Is there something simple to check or is a trip back to dealer on the cards

No problems with passenger seat, that tilt and slides fine

Make sure the seat back is pushed fully forward before you try and push the seat back to its original position. There appears to be some form of brake to hold the seat in the forward position whilst the seat back is tilted forward for rear seat access.

This brake is released when the seat back is pushed forward to its limit.

#5 ·
Hi - I had this with my drivers seat (manual) - it would tilt forward when pulling the handle up but had stopped sliding front to back.

Took it to the dealer who fixed it under warranty - turned out to be a cable in the seat had snapped. All works fine now.

#6 ·
I have this problem but VW quoting over £200 to strip the seat down and change the broken cable. its not anywhere near a problem worth that much. I might ask a local VW non-dealer garage and see if they'll do it for any less

#7 ·
Unless you have had a severe back injury and cannot bend over for long periods of time, I would attempt this fix myself.

I speak from experience. While serving in the U.S. Navy, I sustained some very serious injuries, including 3 crushed vertebrae. I was discharged medically and currently receive a pension rated at 100% based on our Veterans Administration compensation.

There are many things I am not able to do, but as far as the seats are concerned, I have been able to work on them from time to time, such as the under seat drawer. I am 71 years old.

Okay, so much for that. Perhaps you are in great physical shape. If so, take the job on yourself. You will gain a tremendous amount of satisfaction and save a boat load of money in the process.

But, I bet it is not nearly as difficult as you have been told.

Sorry to butt into your business. Just my humble opinion.;)

#9 ·
I have same problem, thought it was because the driver is the superior member in the car interior hierarchy and therefore passengers getout and move seats for stray rear passengers haha, but of course this is not the case, my curiosity wil get the better of me so i will report back with what i find when i get some time to get in.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
I know that this thread has been dormant a long time, but I recently experienced the same problem with the passenger seat in my wife's Eos. It was caused by a small broken clip. There is a great explanation on how to repair it at the following link:

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=37400.0

Although the link refers to a Golf the process is exactly the same and the part number is also the same.

Hopefully this will help anyone experiencing the same issue.

#12 ·
I know that this thread has been dormant a long time, but I recently experienced the same problem with the passenger seat in my wife's Eos. It was caused by a small broken clip. There is a great explanation on how to repair it at the following link:

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=37400.0

Although the link refers to a Golf the process is exactly the same and the part number is also the same.

Hopefully this will help anyone experiencing the same issue.
Thanks for sharing this guide,

just checked mine, and yes found the outer retaining cable clip had broken inside the seat, no need to remove or strip down seats, just pull down the flap of material to access. I have noted the lever to release the seat slide takes a lot of force to operate and is set at a poor angle for leverage, so have drenched the mech and cable with Wurth 2000 and left to soak until the part turns up, just ordered the replacement part £10 off ebay, would be better if these small parts were metal instead.

#14 ·
I had similar symptoms, but it turned out to be a different and easily fixed problem. The passenger seat would tilt fine, but would not slide forwards whilst tilted. And when sitting in the seat and trying to slide it backwards or forwards, it needed more effort than the driver's seat, and it made a rattling / ratchet sound when sliding. It turned out the end of the "slide" lever was sitting above the cam of the "tip" rocker, rather than below it. Once the problem had been identified, it was fairly easy to twist the two components to their corrrect positions, and all worked well - the seat slides easily with no rattle; and tilting the back lets the seat slide freely.
I've attached 3 photos: Photo 1 shows the general area of the problem; Photo 2 identifies the relevant components and shows them in their "fixed" positions (sorry I didn't take a "before" photo); Photo 3 shows the lash-up of cold chisel and mole grip I used to twist them back to their correct positions. Time taken: Head-scratching and thinking: 30 minutes; fixing it 25 seconds.
Hood Grille Grey Bumper Personal luxury car

Tire Hood Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle
Hood Grille Office supplies Bumper Automotive design

#15 ·
Even after using the Mole and chisel the same problem can return. When the seat back is pushed forwards it can be done quite aggressively by passengers and this puts too much tension on the cable wire. If you look at the cable, it has adjusters for its length. You test moving the seat back down as far as would be reasonable, then slacken the adjuster to reduce tension whilst leaving sufficient tension for the latch to release and enable the seat to slide. If there's too much tension it can break the plastic locators on the end, too little and the wire can jump out of the retainer when it's slack (seat back upright).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.