Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I put the top down on my 2007 EOS yesterday going through the full motion ending with the windows in the up position. I then put the windows down as i prefer to drive that way and then noticed that the passenger side front window had not gone all the way down.

I attempted to use the "All windows" button to put it down or up with no response in either of the front windows. The two rear windows responded as normal.

I then attempted to put the roof back up only to see the rear windows respond as normal, the front windows remain unmoved, nothing happen with the roof and the "roof moving" light light up on the dash.

My first assumption was a blown fuse as the electric motors for these three items on far ends of the car should not be connected, checked the fuse it was fine, replaced it with another fuse i knew worked just to be sure and again there was no change.

Any ideas to try before i give up and take it to the dealership? The nearest one is over an hour away so id prefer to avoide that route if at all possible

Thanks in advance

-Tom

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
When the roof is up and locked in position, do the windows work as they should using the door switches? If yes then there must be an issue with the roof control interface. If no then you could have window regulator wires goind bad (on the fronts). The window motors each have overload sensing. You don't and shouldn't get blown fuses, the motor control units make them stop and stall if there is excessive friction causing overload. This protection is sufficiently sensitive to stop the glass moving if your little precious stuck their hands out and pressed the up button or the glass moved up with one touch control.

Something I discovered the other day, (because windows going back up annoys me and wears out the expensive regulator wires), - if you stop the roof operation just before the windows come up, there were no roof errors.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Something I discovered the other day, (because windows going back up annoys me and wears out the expensive regulator wires), - if you stop the roof operation just before the windows come up, there were no roof errors.
Not much benefit there voxmagna, you still have to raise the windows for the roof to operate to the closed position. Or at least you do with mine !! :):):)

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Not much benefit there voxmagna, you still have to raise the windows for the roof to operate to the closed position. Or at least you do with mine !! :):):)
That's true but there is a benefit.

1. When you lower the roof to the open position and want the windows down, if you complete the cycle my roof comes down and the last part of the cycle is to raise the windows. But you want them down, so you lower them again. That is two unecessary window cycles.

2. When you raise the roof to the closed position, it is different because you usually want the roof up and the car secure to leave it or warmer and most would want the windows back up.

Perhaps I don't yet understand the VW illogic, or are your EOS windows working different to mine?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hi there

I'm going to have to check my roof/windows operation.

I'm sure mine did go down at the start of the roof drop, then come back up at the end of the cycle.

Since having it in to get the securing bolts replaced on the roof (had a rattle), the windows stay down at the end of the roof opening cycle.

Can only assume it's something that can be programmed in/out.

Hth

·
Registered
130 Posts
That is correct Andy tsi eos, that is exactly how they work. What voxmagna is saying that he would take the roof drop operation to the point where you hear that pinging noise and stop there before the windows rise.

However to put the roof up again you still have to raise the windows before the roof mechanism will operate.

The first part of the cycle is that the windows will drop again, so they still have to go up and then down again. :):):)

·
2014 Horizon Blue
290 Posts
Maybe the sequence has changed with the 2012 facelift or the cars on this side of the pond have a different sequence.

Mine operates like this:

When the roof and windows are up, I push and hold the roof button, the first thing that happens is the windows go down. The sunroof slides open, the trunk pops outward, and the roof folds itself away. The chiming stops, the MFD shows "Convertible Top Open", and the windows remain down. No matter how long I hold the button, the windows don't go back up (in order to do that, I have to hit the "all windows" button on the door).
Watch this video to see the complete sequence, start-to-finish.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10204148234927300&l=7301217657941017112

When the roof and windows are down, I pull and hold the roof button, the first thing that happens is the trunk swings out, the roof unfolds itself into place, the sunroof closes. When the MFD shows "Convertible Top Open", if I keep holding the button, the windows all raise.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
I want the windows on my 2007 to work exactly like Matthews 2012.

I can have a look with vagcom, but I'm sure I haven't seen adaptation functions for the roof operation. :confused:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Not to disagree, but I have a 2014 Komfort (USA Version) and I'm pretty sure my windows will go back up as the drop top cycle completes if I hold the button down. If my top is down and the windows are down, the windows don't rise until the top is up and locked. I'm traveling and can't run out and double check this, but will when I return. There has to be a way to alter/customize the window cycle. Maybe Ross Tech can help us.

·
2014 Horizon Blue
290 Posts
Not to disagree, but I have a 2014 Komfort (USA Version) and I'm pretty sure my windows will go back up as the drop top cycle completes if I hold the button down.
Interesting! Maybe I've just never held the button long enough to allow the windows to go back up. My Eos is in the shop right now, so I can't try it, but when I get her back, I'll give it a shot.

If my top is down and the windows are down, the windows don't rise until the top is up and locked.
That's how mine works when putting the top up (what I attempted to convey above using far too many words).

I wonder if there's a SmartTop setting that allows for customization of window settings.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
I'm pretty sure my windows will go back up as the drop top cycle completes if I hold the button down
Does anybody have a logical reason why VW should have designed them this way? Do most putting the top down then drive with the windows up, or take them down again like we have been doing?

There was no roof error releasing the switch before the windows came up at the end of the roof cycle. It appears to me they may have designed the roof down switch so you hold it down a little longer and you can choose to drop the window in a second operation. The problem is they should have made the time delay you hold the switch down longer.

Yes, good point, what does Smarttop do?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Whether or not the windows are up or down tends to be temperature dependent. Our EOS is not a daily driver, rather it is a weekend touring car which means that many of our outings begin in the morning. We live at 4,000 ft above sea level and struggle to get daily high temperatures to break 80 F, even in the middle of the summer. That means that most mornings it's always cool enough that we are compelled to start our drives with the windows up and as the temp rises during the drive, we usually drop them at some point.

My observation is that if you hold the button down, the windows will drop, followed by the top. If you release the button as soon as the MFD shows top lowered/down (I can't remember the exact wording), then the windows will stay down. But... you really have to watch the MFD for the message. It's really a matter of timing because keeping the switch depressed for a second longer sends the windows back up. As long as the message shows in the MFD, then you can release the button with no errors.

I do not have a SmartTop, but I considered installing one. I did a lot of reading about it and I don't recall an adjustment for the windows. If anything, the SmartTop might actually prevent you from intervening in the process before the windows rise (as above), especially if you do the one button push option where you don't have to hold the button down or up.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Maybe the sequence has changed with the 2012 facelift or the cars on this side of the pond have a different sequence.

Mine operates like this:

When the roof and windows are up, I push and hold the roof button, the first thing that happens is the windows go down. The sunroof slides open, the trunk pops outward, and the roof folds itself away. The chiming stops, the MFD shows "Convertible Top Open", and the windows remain down. No matter how long I hold the button, the windows don't go back up (in order to do that, I have to hit the "all windows" button on the door).
Watch this video to see the complete sequence, start-to-finish.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10204148234927300&l=7301217657941017112

When the roof and windows are down, I pull and hold the roof button, the first thing that happens is the trunk swings out, the roof unfolds itself into place, the sunroof closes. When the MFD shows "Convertible Top Open", if I keep holding the button, the windows all raise.
Perhaps VW have different "logic" for different parts of the world..!!??..

I have an '08 Aus spec, and mine is same as Matthews....roof down, everything stays down....

·
2014 Horizon Blue
290 Posts
Interesting! Maybe I've just never held the button long enough to allow the windows to go back up. My Eos is in the shop right now, so I can't try it, but when I get her back, I'll give it a shot.
Confirmed! I tried holding down the switch even longer when lowering the roof last night (2014 US-spec Exec), and the windows never tried to go back up at the end of the cycle. And I'm perfectly fine with that!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts