Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All, first time poster here. I have a 2008 Eos 2.0T and live in PA. My question is: can something be done to avoid having your windows freeze in place in the winter? The windows drop a little if the door is opened or key is taken out of the ignition but during extreme cold they stay down! Not only is this a security concern but also a concern for more snow and ice!

Has anyone experienced this? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
2,360 Posts
Hey All, first time poster here. I have a 2008 Eos 2.0T and live in PA. My question is: can something be done to avoid having your windows freeze in place in the winter? The windows drop a little if the door is opened or key is taken out of the ignition but during extreme cold they stay down! Not only is this a security concern but also a concern for more snow and ice!

Has anyone experienced this? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

This subject has been covered in great detail on this forum over the years - please use the forum Search facility using "frozen windows" as key words and use the "show threads" option.

Everything you need to know will be revealed.

·
Registered
285 Posts
can something be done to avoid having your windows freeze in place in the winter

Hi AJC

This is the only downside I have found in owning my EOS, and guess what I was caught out this morning. I live in the UK and when I went to get in my car this morning (5:30am) for the first time this year I had ice on the screen and my drivers door window was stuck.

As Silvershadow advised you will find many threads on this if you do a search.

This morning as I had been caught out I simply used some tepid water, but if the weather has now changed I will need to get my "top cover" out. I have a top cover (half cover) which I use in the winters and in two years of owning my EOS I found it most useful in the situations you are feared of

Derek

·
Growing old disgracefully
239 Posts
I agree with Derek, get yourself a top cover, pretty cheap from fleabay too

·
Registered
58 Posts
Better than top cover is to have an electric cabin heater. Clears snow, ice and frost from windows. Used it in Finland during winter time, last winter it got below -30 centigrade. I use it after temperature drops below 2 degrees centigrade in the morning.

I use Defa mini Termini, have it in the passenger footwel all year round, it takes so little space so there are no problems. Also great is that i do not need to sit on a freezing cold leather seats and freeze my manhood.

Also have engine heater, get warm air straight after starting up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Frozen windows - car cap

Hi everyone, usual nag
Recent purchaser of 2007 EOS Completely satisfied until first frost of winter,
could not open door (water retention) not yet fixed and found door frozen shut.
Windows would not drop pulled door open, attempted to close door, would not close. I know this has been posted before many times the answer without changing the vehicle is to buy a car cover\cap and convert the vehicle to a soft topped hardtop ?? The car cover company no longer supply the car cap can anyone advise where I can purchase a tailored cap \ half cover.

StevieM

ps How can a major car manufacturer get away with this.

My previous vehicle BMW 318Ci convertible had the same system with the front windows and never a problem.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I use Defa mini Termini, have it in the passenger footwel all year round, it takes so little space so there are no problems. Also great is that i do not need to sit on a freezing cold leather seats and freeze my manhood. .
When do you plug the heater on? The night before? Doesn't it drain the battery?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Apparently,here in the UK we are due some arctic weather this weekend,we are told down to -10.

My simple solution is to leave my Eos in my garage,problem solved. fat tyres in snow are useless anyway,but at least it will be safe.

·
Growing old disgracefully
239 Posts
When there is ice on the car I use a cheap hair dryer to go round the drivers window seal before unlocking the car. The dryer then goes on the dash to shift the screen ice before using the wipers. It stays there while I go round and scrape the windows and then I deal with what's left on the screen.
Mirror heaters and rear screen de-icer on during this period and the job's done in about 5 minutes.
I have noticed that in really low temperatures (minus 5) the engine takes an age (10 miles or more) to get up to a working temperture, compared with 2 or 3 for the Pug (petrol) to get there which is a bit scary but I guess that's the nature of the diesel beast.

·
Complete Carnut
1,553 Posts
I find a de-icer spray does the job very nicely.
It lives in the boot all winter; one spray on the screen takes maybe 4 or 5 seconds, go round the side windows - perhaps another 10 seconds. All the ice melts unless it's been really really cold (which for the UK that means about -3 or -4) then it might need another go. All in all less than 1 minute and all the ice has gone. Bob's your uncle. Drive off.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Keep the rubbers around the door frame well lubricated with Krytox and use either cold water or de icer .
Not only issue to EOS all frameless door cars i have owned have done the same.
Just look as another unique feature of our cars:D

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've tried the car cover it does not prevent the problem for me. For me the issue is a frozen window mechanism inside the door not frozen windows to the seals.

There is a technical tip from VW floating around suggesting the use of a dry type silicon lubricant for the seals around the windows such as this stuff from 3M.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...S4K7_nid=657B00GHBDgs4JS4WF0WC6glMQQ1J7G3R9bl

I tried this stuff but still had a problem this morning for the first time this year, was only 30 degrees F., no frost on any windows.

I don't think there is anything VW can do to fix this problem other then a redesign to forget about the window drop idea. I'm gonna start looking into the design of a heating element that I can mount to the inside or maybe bottom shelf of the door that will hopefully heat the inside of the door to keep the mechanism from freezing.

·
Registered
58 Posts
When do you plug the heater on? The night before? Doesn't it drain the battery?
The cabin and engine heater are connected to a plug in the fron grille and from there I plug a wire to the electrical socket in the mains. So car battery is not used at all.

Normally 1-2h warm up does the job.

All parts are standard supplied by Defa, Calix etx.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't think there is anything VW can do to fix this problem other then a redesign to forget about the window drop idea. I'm gonna start looking into the design of a heating element that I can mount to the inside or maybe bottom shelf of the door that will hopefully heat the inside of the door to keep the mechanism from freezing.
No need to design it, use a cabin heater.

Http://wup.defa.com/en/

If connecting to a electrical socket is not and option then one can install a petrol/diesel powered heater for instance from

http://www.parkingheater.com/

Or buy it from VW accessory list, they have webasto systems as well and can have it fitted from new from factory or retrofit in a dealer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Actually I like that idea better! Thanks McEos. I was thinking just keeping the door thawed but with a small space heater inside I can clear the windows from frost or ice too! No more scraping! I even have a low wattage space heater that I can try out with a lamp timer. If this works out I'll look into something more permanent. I drove to work this morning with the window on the outside of the seal because it wouldn't work at all. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Actually I like that idea better! Thanks McEos. I was thinking just keeping the door thawed but with a small space heater inside I can clear the windows from frost or ice too! No more scraping! I even have a low wattage space heater that I can try out with a lamp timer. If this works out I'll look into something more permanent. I drove to work this morning with the window on the outside of the seal because it wouldn't work at all. :rolleyes:

No worries, mini termini from Defa costs around 75 euros in Finland and that includes bracket which holds it nicely in place in the passenger footwell and during summer can remove the small heater and leave just small bracket showing. However the heater is so small that I do not bother removing it, even as it only needes to be pulled of the bracket.

Official wiring kit which gives you a socket outside the car, easy to fit in the front grille is 100-200 euros and takes 1-2h to fit. Almost every car in Finland has either this setup or fuel powered heater installed. I am guessing that this is pretty much the case in other Nordic countries. I am sure that same stuff is available worldwide, if not frommthe dealer then browse the net. Installation electrically powered unit is easy to do by yourself.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I tried this the other morning and it worked great! Temps that morning was 20 degrees F. At that temp usually the window wouldn't budge but with the heater it dropped normally! I used a space heater set on medium (900 watts) sitting on the drivers side floor and ran a flat type extension cord through the door jam. The timer set for 45min before I had to leave. That wasn't enough time to defrost the windows, I still had to scape but I could tell they were starting to defrost. I'll set the timer for 90 minutes next time. Which should be this week. We're getting another "gift" from our neighbors to the north :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
90min should do it. The mini termini is 1350W and I normally have it running for 90-120 min before departure. Good enough for -25 Centigrade, after that is starts to strugle. If winter gets colder like it did last year (-34) I might get a larger one.

My heater is mounter on the center console in the passenger footwell. Heater is mounted so that it blasts hot air towards up and center of the car.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts