Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Has anyone out there had trouble with fuel consumption on the Eos?
I have the paprika red 2.0ltr TDI, and having done 3,500 miles since it was bought last July and the most we have managed to get out of it is 37mpg.
According to the paperwork it should be doing a combined of 47mpg. Its been back to vw and been put on the machines but apparently everything is right. VW have told me that it doesn`t do its ultimate performance until its done 5,000 miles. Anyone with any ideas or if you`re having the same trouble i would love to hear from you.
Thanks
Julie

·
Everyday's an EDA
161 Posts
Be patient.
Diesels take 5-10,000 miles to loosen up. My Discovery now has 160,000 miles & consumption is less now than it was at 50,000 miles. The engine took till 15,000 miles till I got any sort of performance or fuel economy. But diesels do last for almost ever. My wifes Focus TDCI needed 5,000 miles before it gave good fuel consumption.
Going for a test drive in the Eos on Friday. I hope it drives as well as you all say. Hope I don't have to wait to long to get my own.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Jim,
I realise what you`re saying but I bought a new golf 2.0ltr TDI before I got the Eos, and from day one it was doing the correct mpg

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi,
Has anyone out there had trouble with fuel consumption on the Eos?
I have the paprika red 2.0ltr TDI, and having done 3,500 miles since it was bought last July and the most we have managed to get out of it is 37mpg.
According to the paperwork it should be doing a combined of 47mpg. Its been back to vw and been put on the machines but apparently everything is right. VW have told me that it doesn`t do its ultimate performance until its done 5,000 miles. Anyone with any ideas or if you`re having the same trouble i would love to hear from you.
Thanks
Julie
Hi JUlie,
My 2.0 TDI only has 400 miles on it at the moment and it is doing 38 on average (trip 2), I am sure your mpg will improve as the engine loosens up.

Paul

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mpg

I thought my MPG was low and posted a question to the club. I got the same old answers about needing to run the engine in etc. Well I've now got just over 3000 on the clock and its true the mpg has got a bit better. I can get up to 47mpg ( 2.oTDI sport) however my daily ride is near perfect ie long ride of 50 miles on relatively uncongested motorway. I think it did take me a while to get used to the gearing on the car. It seems that within reason you keep the revs high and the gearing low. Good luck

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have also read else where that in the US engines (I assume it would be the same for all) that the oil they ship with have and additive that is supposed to aid in break in (ring seating). Once you have your first service with an oil change at 5000 miles (not sure what it is in km) your mileage can improve some.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mines gradually getting better just done 3,800 in mine and has gone up to 36.5 mpg thats pure traffic work.

Laura

·
Registered
7 Posts
laura:

you are on the imperial gallon. could you just tell me how many kilomers you are getting to the tank?

duck

·
Registered
104 Posts
420 miles per tank
How you transfer to Km, I dont know. Says 675.89 km per tank. I dont know if thats correct? Used converter on my phone.

Laura

·
Registered
9 Posts
In the US here I have the 2.0T gasoline engine and I am averaging 27MPG which I think is very good..It has been very cold too I expect further into spring it will improve

·
Registered
38 Posts
Fuel Consumption

I was getting 27mpg at first, but with 8000 on the clock I'm now getting 31mpg-same roads, same driving style...

·
Complete Carnut
1,553 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
It should improve......

My Eos is due in April but I've covered 65,000 miles in the same engined Audi A4 Quattro, and I can confirm that the mpg improves as the engine loosens - different car but I average 34-35mpg on a regular non-motorway commute, up from 28-29mpg when the car was new.

The 2.0TFSI is a fabulous engine and I wanted another one!!!!!

·
1,129 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fuel Consumption

My week old Eos (2.0TDI DSG) appears to be giving an average of around 42mpg, which seems very good for a new engine.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Getting about 31MPG in my 2.0TFSI at the moment - that's on a 60 mile motorway trip to work. Went out last weekend and stuck the cruise at 70 and got around 35MPG which wasn't bad (not sure if it makes any difference but the roof was down for that).

Just coming upto 3000 miles on the clock so hopefully the numbers will get better :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would not expect the Eos to get anywhere near 47mpg.

Ours is a petrol and is doing around 30 but my comparison is with my Accord Diesel which has averaged 50 over 93k Miles and it is around 130Kg lighter than the Eos TDI and it is weight which kills economy, especially around town.

Also to consider is any extras - these add weight, and in the case of tyres rolling resistance, which drop the specified figure.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Shocked with mine its now doing in the 40's. As they say diesels take a time to bed in.

Laura

·
Complete Carnut
1,553 Posts
Getting about 31MPG in my 2.0TFSI at the moment - that's on a 60 mile motorway trip to work. Went out last weekend and stuck the cruise at 70 and got around 35MPG which wasn't bad (not sure if it makes any difference but the roof was down for that).

Just coming upto 3000 miles on the clock so hopefully the numbers will get better :)

Mine's a 2.0 TFSI as well and that's just about exactly what I get too. Whether the roof is up or down makes quite a difference I think. I was disappointed with mine doing only 29 on a motorway journey a few weeks ago so I shut the sunroof to see if that made any difference and it immediately went up to 33/34! Having the whole roof down would no doubt affect it much more.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Julie,

Yes it does take time for the engine to 'loosen up' and to get best mpg - having said that mine )TDi) has only done 900miles and already often returns 40+ even with the roof down at 80+ mph? Best i have had is 46mpg driving carefully (and i thought that was dissapointing! compared to what they tell you)

Best advise is let it go a bit - they are bench tested these days and do not really need running in the same as old engines used to - so i'm told?

Let us know if it improves?

Jules

1 - 20 of 55 Posts