Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I recently bought a new EOS and I'm a little disappointed with the fuel Consumption.

The autonomy it's not more than 420k on the city it does 14L/100km which is very high. I tried different fuel and driving conscious trying to maintain good fuel efficiency but the fuel consumption is very high.

I would like to hear from you what is your average fuel consumption I don't drive in highways too much so I would expect my consumption to be around 10L/100km.

My EOS is the 155 TSI 2.0.

Cheers,

·
Registered
113 Posts
Driving reasonably carefully and keeping revs at or about 2000 and on a journey of 20 miles (32kms) I normally achieve 60mpg (10/210kms). I normally inflate tyres to a middle figure somewhere between the 2 and 4 people load as indicated on the fuel cap. I've noticed that in cold weather this figure decreases by about 5mpg.
See below for model:

·
Super Moderator
2,365 Posts
Hi All,

I recently bought a new EOS and I'm a little disappointed with the fuel Consumption.

The autonomy it's not more than 420k on the city it does 14L/100km which is very high. I tried different fuel and driving conscious trying to maintain good fuel efficiency but the fuel consumption is very high.

I would like to hear from you what is your average fuel consumption I don't drive in highways too much so I would expect my consumption to be around 10L/100km.

My EOS is the 155 TSI 2.0.

Cheers,

The fuel consumption during the first 2000km should be ignored as the engine is bedding in and internal friction can be quite high. Stop/start city driving with the climate control on also doesn't help.

Once you get 1000km up, try and do several long distance trips at highway speed to properly run-in the engine [a weekend away involving 3 to 4 hours driving is a good excuse].

·
Registered
528 Posts
I agree with silvershadow re waiting until you have a couple of thousand ks on the clock.

mine is 2.0FSi, DSG....most of my driving is to and from work, 28ks each way....depending on traffic can get anything from 6.4 to around 9+ per 100k.

averaging 8.6 over the last 2500 ks.

·
Eos lover
65 Posts
I've never seen my consumption any where near that high, it's always below 10l/100km even when i'm in sport mode.
That figure would scare the crap out of me.

·
kingymou
9 Posts
hi there, in Melbourne traffic with ac on I am averaging 6.6/100. My girl has 140k kms on the clock, so she is well and truely run in.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have a 4 year old 147 FSI manual and on my daily commute of around 25km which takes about an hour (this is Sydney traffic we are talking about!), I can get anything from 8.4/100 to 12/100. 14/100 sounds very high.

Adam

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hmm, I get 10.5 (~22mpg) around town, and 7.5 (~31mpg) on the highway
(& have 8500 mi on the odo)

·
Too old to be Junior User
469 Posts
Will you guys with TDI's stop teasing those with petrol motors. :mad:

Answers of mid 6's with a TDI mean nothing when you are comparing them to a petrol motor being run in.:cool:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I used to have a 2009 Golf GT sport 2.0TDI 140p usually get about 48MPG but with the EOS 1.4 TSI around 36 about town and 42 on a long run. However, fuel prices in UK 130p/litre petrol and 140p/litre diesel. Makes it about even, think I lose about 4p per mile, can live with that given the pleasure of a convertible :-
------------------
2011 1.4 TSi SE Mk 3.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Will you guys with TDI's stop teasing those with petrol motors.
In Facebook terms - LIKE.
Yesterday I managed 63mpg by keeping speed around 60mph and in 6th gear for about 15 miles along the A303 according to the on-board display. This is about the same as my wife's Prius.
For those who might be scornful about the Prius you should try one; obviously in doesn't have that sporty 'wind in the air' feel of the EOS but fascinating to drive and understand the technology.

·
Too old to be Junior User
469 Posts
In Facebook terms - LIKE.
Yesterday I managed 63mpg by keeping speed around 60mph and in 6th gear for about 15 miles along the A303 according to the on-board display. This is about the same as my wife's Prius.
For those who might be scornful about the Prius you should try one; obviously in doesn't have that sporty 'wind in the air' feel of the EOS but fascinating to drive and understand the technology.
I don't know about everyone else, but my display is optimistic.

According to it, my long term average is 5.6 to 5.7 litres per 100km, but I have logged every tankful I have ever put in, and my real long term average is 6.6 litres per 100km - this is over 60000km - still not too shabby.

As for driving the Prius vs the Eos with the top down, yes the technology is amazing, buts its a bit like comparing playing "solitaire" on the computer with playing "Need for Speed", not that I am either a serious driver or gamer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 2008 200 bhp automatic is costing me a £5 a day to run that £5 gets me 30 miles of regular shell unleaded
I'm averaging 23 mpg in town and 31 mpg on motor highway

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
The only way to record fuel consumption for the same (commute?) trips or consistent mixed road driving is take the odo readings between full tank to full tank at the gas station. The average fuel consumption readout on the MFD has a peculiar algorithm I've never understood (My Tdi can give me around 60 with stage 1 horses). The best indication from the MFD is the instantaneous mpg, then do some averaging in your head. You can try out different shifts and speeds up hills down hills and on straight roads. Yes you will see the display go from zero fuel 3 dashes foot off, to very low when you accelerate hard, but if you can try some consistent test driving you get a better impression of where the fuel is going.

Years ago before all the diesel pollution concerns, I studied the EOS engine variants versus the weight of the EOS. It's a heavy car and I decided diesel was the only economic solution or the V6 for more fun. :) but a bit tail end heavy. I was already getting around 55 mpg with 135 horses, but 180 horses gets close to the gas engines and mpg has gone UP to around 60. Babied at 50-60mph with no fun I'm certain it could give 65mpg? I also run the tire pressures up for a fully loaded car with mostly only one or 2. In Winter I go the other way for better grip on snow or ice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ive bought 14 ne w cars in my life,...and a couple of junkers.... l have never checked the milage on any of them..you put gas in and they will go...

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
It's different now because cars are designed to do more mpg and there are fewer gas stations. Those with poor mpg will have the pain of stopping for gas more often. But then nothing has changed because electrical vehicle recharging is a similar story. :)

ECO is all very strange because lean and mean on gas consumption should be good for the planet and bad for oil companies. But nothing stops a car using tonnes of gas as long as they fit a CAT or DPF? So the problem is internal combustion engine design hasn't really changed that much and we have just found more ways of complicated emissions control.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts