Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed that a gap has appeared behind both front windows (between the front and rear windows) The gap is wider at the top than the bottom--about 15mm at the top, 10mm at the bottom. Does anyone know what has caused this and how it can be corrected? Thanks.

·
497 Posts
Have you tried resetting the rear windows?

Hold each window down in turn and continue to hold for 5 seconds and then repeat in the up position.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi David Thanks for your response. I didn't know you could reset the rear windows. Would you mind explaining that a little more? I'm not sure exactly what you mean by 'hold each window down' --do you mean hold the switch on the door down? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
The 'reset' David44 mentioned is only the one touch operation to get the glass to the top of the roof seal. I think your problem is the glasses are not aligned vertically or horizontally (twisted) and I used plural because it is either the front glass, the rear glass or both.

The shop manual has a procedure and dimensions for the gap between the front and rear glasses, but there is also in-out adjustment too, which is more complicated, but necessary if you don't want water running inside behind the rear glass seals or excessive friction and wear. :(

You need to find out which glass is 'tilted'. The top of each glass has lines at each end and when you eyeball them against the top roof seal edge they should be parallel. If it is the front glass misaligned, this can be corrected using the adjusters in the bottom of the front door. If glasses on one side of the car are o.k you can use back and forth checks to see which glass is wrong. When both glasses are correct they should sit on the rear glass seal with the same gap top to bottom and with some surface contact to the seal which I check by adding a drop of Krytox to the seal.

I haven't told you that just adjusting the front door glass adjusters will solve your problem, because glass checks and adjustment needs to consider relative positions of both glasses and their in-out adjustment.

http://www.vweosclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20953&highlight=rear+glass+removal

·
497 Posts
Hi David Thanks for your response. I didn't know you could reset the rear windows. Would you mind explaining that a little more? I'm not sure exactly what you mean by 'hold each window down' --do you mean hold the switch on the door down? Thanks.
Yes the door switches. :eek:

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
That puzzled me because I would only expect an even gap along the top edge to be corrected by 'reset'. :confused: If your (front) glass was tilted giving a different gap width top and bottom to the rear glass I can only think of one reason why a 'reset' has appeared to put it right:

My suspicion is your front window regulator wire has stretched (or failing?) and by going through the reset procedure, the wire has automatically re-tensioned itself as the glass established the top and bottom limits of travel. The wire doesn't normally stretch once it has been tensioned after first use. Just keep an eye on the windows listening for smooth operation without jerkiness.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts