Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else had problems with traction and wheel spin with this model. Not sure whether its the tyres or something else. But a quick getaway is a problem if there is no friction with the road. Perhaps when the warmer weather arrives it may not be a problem.

Any one from warmer climes with that model and Bridgestone tyres care to comment?

I would have preferred a 4WD / quattro version of the 3.2 but its not an option on the EOS. Perhaps it will come eventually or perhaps in an Audi version.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Gogg,
Thats not just the T FSI. I get it with mine. Says on top gear site EOS is renowned for lack of traction. Come round a roundabout, straighten up on dual carriageway. Boot it and traction light come on...Its a fault they have.

Ps: Ive said the same problem in previous posts.

Laura

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi GOgg,

2.0TFSI here too and it's pretty eager to let the wheels spin when you hit the loud pedal :) I've put it down to my right foot ( as I had similar things happen with the old Golf).

If it matters i'm on 18s with Dunlop Sport SP01 rubber.

Si

·
Registered
104 Posts
Standing still at right about. Need to get out quick. Boot it will happen.
Had mark 5 golf. When it was running never had bad traction, like EOS.

·
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like its a common problem then and little or nothing can be done about it. Just have to be a bit less heavy with the right foot. Not so much fun though.

On another note I have not had the stability control come on yet (I don't think) but in my old Corolla T Sport it could be dangerous. I once put the power on going round a circle and all it wanted to do was go in a straight line. Very scarry:eek:

·
Registered
104 Posts
It probably has but you havent noticed. Yellow light will flicker on on the dash board.

Laura

·
Registered
215 Posts
Traction

...interesting - my EOS arrives in April and have an Audi A4 Quattro with 2.0TFSI - perhaps expectedly [with 4WD] the traction is laid down effortlessly - I too would have preferred a quattro Eos, sounds like there is a need, and was surprised that even at this early stage there was no option.

Paul:cool:

·
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
...interesting - my EOS arrives in April and have an Audi A4 Quattro with 2.0TFSI - perhaps expectedly [with 4WD] the traction is laid down effortlessly - I too would have preferred a quattro Eos, sounds like there is a need, and was surprised that even at this early stage there was no option.

Yea, that's what I wanted. I think the problem may be even worse with the V6. It's on the Golf R32 (not quite Quattro though) but no option for the Eos. Pity, but It may be around when it comes to part exchange, I can live in hope.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just my 2 cents,

I've found, since I've upgraded my springs, that the wheels spin issue has decreased dramatically under hard acceleration. I can still light them up if I wanted to but not as easily as before. I believe that has to do alot with the tendancy for our cars to do a rear squat under hard acceleration which puts more weight and down force towards the rear. This is more evident when the top is down. This action would be fine if our cars were rear wheel drive. ( I wish) But being they are front wheel drive this takes weight off the front wheels causing them to spin easily. When I upgraded my springs, I found the rear squat to be pretty much eliminated. Therefore keeping more weight and downward force on front drive wheels where we need it. It takes me putting the pedal to the floor to spin the wheels now.

·
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Karlos,

I like your style regarding moding your new motor but its something I don't think I could face. The easy wayfor me I'm afraid.

Let's hear about any other mods you make and if you have pics lets share them with the group

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've seen that problem, and was quite surprised that the traction control didn;t kick in.. I suspect that its a matter of us learning how to drive the car vs a computer muting every move we make. I figure VW would rather have us compain about spinning tires (which make the car seem like a faster car) than have computer retarded launches....

·
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would still love to see the quattro system within the Eos. I think it be almost perfect then. I don't see why they don't offer 4WD, its on the R32 but not on the same engined Eos?????

·
Registered
683 Posts
I would still love to see the quattro system within the Eos. I think it be almost perfect then. I don't see why they don't offer 4WD, its on the R32 but not on the same engined Eos?????
Commencing in 2006, VW in Canada limited the 4Motion option to the V6 engine only. My wife has a 2005 Passat 4Motion wagon with the 1.8 Turbo; but in the next model year it was no longer available; otherwise we would have bought the newer model. Overall, there is a big difference in fuel consumption (and initial price) - V6 with 4WD versus four banger with 2WD. Over time, I suspect VW is likely to apply same logic to other brands in addition to Passat.

·
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It may be that the 2009 Audi droptop will offer the 4WD which would differentiate the high end EOS from VW. The traction on the 2.0T could be so much better with the 4motion transmission as well. Hopefully they will consider comments such as the ones on this forum and make the required changes???????

·
Complete Carnut
1,553 Posts
It may be that the 2009 Audi droptop will offer the 4WD which would differentiate the high end EOS from VW. The traction on the 2.0T could be so much better with the 4motion transmission as well. Hopefully they will consider comments such as the ones on this forum and make the required changes???????
VW consider comments such as the ones on this forum? Just remind me which planet you live on GOgg?!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
59 Posts
The car is already too heavy without adding 4wd'so you would need the V6 to have any performance,just think of the cost !

·
Complete Carnut
1,553 Posts
The car is already too heavy without adding 4wd'so you would need the V6 to have any performance,just think of the cost !
Yes, it's a vicious circle. You get the bigger engine with more power but the extra weight saps the power and you end up with performance figures similar to the smaller engine but use a lot more fuel achieving them..

Try reading the Audi TT Convertible test in this week's 'Auto Express'. They reckon the 2.0 T-FSI is the better engine (than the 3.2 V6) in this car because the car's so much lighter without the weight of the engine and 4WD transmission that the performance is the same and the handling more nimble.

Similar argument might apply to the Eos (although without the weight of the 4WD admittedly) because the performance gain of the V6 is minimal to say the least.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes, it's a vicious circle. You get the bigger engine with more power but the extra weight saps the power and you end up with performance figures similar to the smaller engine but use a lot more fuel achieving them..

Try reading the Audi TT Convertible test in this week's 'Auto Express'. They reckon the 2.0 T-FSI is the better engine (than the 3.2 V6) in this car because the car's so much lighter without the weight of the engine and 4WD transmission that the performance is the same and the handling more nimble.

Similar argument might apply to the Eos (although without the weight of the 4WD admittedly) because the performance gain of the V6 is minimal to say the least.
My daughter has the TT 3.2 and I must say, having driven the 2.0T version as well, I much prefer the 3.2 version.

The 4wd is really good but the mpg the opposite.

My wife bought the EOS because having had an SLK in 97'
she found the rear space in the EOS acceptable compared to the non existant of the SLK.

The problem with the EOS is that the diesel is quite slow by comparison to the petrol versions and the petrol versions are both very thirsty ! We had an A3 2.0 TDI prior to the EOS and whilst the MPG was very good,the noise was
pretty awful when pushed.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Interesting. Now I've had the chance to compare, while my A4 Quattro was brilliant as far as I'm concerned, and the traction was good, [and I was a bit worried about the Eos in terms of roadholding] - now I've covered 1500 miles in the Eos along many A B and C roads, I'm taken with the handling. Its a sharp drive, and I've whizzed around tight bends at speed and just felt secure, pour on the power and she just tightens up and goes through on tramlines.

I'm not sure I want/need 4wd now with this performance

We test drove the TT 3.2 and I must say I prefer the 2.0T. Not a lot of difference in straight-line performance, more weight, and not as much fun to corner in as the 2.0T - plus you need a petrol tanker in tow [I cover 150 miles daily on my commute - too much time at the pumps!]. Sounds great though - can't beat the noise!! It was the only other car I considered but a 6 month+ wait time killed it dead!!!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts