Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Used to be used Truffle!
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have one of those annoying creaking sounds coming from the roof towards the back seat that many have reported in other threads. The reported fix is a tightening of some loose bolts that are in the roof mechanism in the area under the roof headliner near the back. What is the technique to take off the headliner to expose the bolts? Without destroying it of course so it can be reinstalled after!

·
Registered
595 Posts
If these bolts you refer to are the same ones that my dealer tightened up for me recently then you do not need to remove the roof lining to get to them. The two near the rear of the sunroof can be got to by flipping open the headlining near the rear corners of the sunroof, if you gently pull the trim forward it unhooks and small section folds back. The rear bolts can be got to by putting the roof in to the service position.

Adam

·
Registered
171 Posts
Handy to know that Adam, thanks for sharing. I may be putting it to use come the spring!
Regards,
John

·
Used to be used Truffle!
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still Creaking

:confused: Accessed the bolts for tightening as Adam suggested. The process all worked well but the creaking sounds continue. There must be some other cause other than the roof mechanism. Any ideas or suggestions on what else to try?

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
These creaking sounds are as difficult to find as water leaks.

I have had a few. I can make them go away for several months but then they come back. Since I had none when I bought used from the dealer and some started several months later, I am not optimistic about permanent fixes.

The problem is made difficult because creaking sounds inside the cabin can appear to come from different places as you turn your head.

The first thing I did was to see if I heard the creaks in both roof up and down situations. There are at least two dynamics at work here. Roof up there is more stiffness in the car and more parts 'joined or butting up' and roof down the body has more flex.

I am unlucky in having road speed humps in my local, but these are good testing sites for creak investigation. I run over them with the clutch in to drop the engine revs and engine noise, often with a passenger also listening.

The main problem I have had is with their ABS plastic trims butting against each other and rubbing/creaking. One particular problem area is up front left and right on the hidden surfaces of the console moulding just below the mirror mounts. You cannot see what is happening when the doors are closed. But carefully opening each door a few inches at slow speed whilst rolling over speed humps will make the creaks come and go. It is surprising how much body flex there is on the EOS which is present on most cabs.

How to fix the creaks? I have a selection of methods. The first thing is to use thin card or a feeler guage to check if there is a small gap between plastic parts which may be making contact. Occasionally if you look carefully along the plastic surface with a bright light you can see the contact area. If trim is moveable then I try to get a gap. If not I tried a couple of things. First shot quick and dirty is to rub some Krytox on each plastic surface - we all have plenty of that don't we? I didn't buy the grease but that might last longer. The second thing to use at hidden 'junctions' is 3M adhesive backed foam strips. This is the black 'auto' grade foam used by most body shops and comes in various roll widths.

I am interested to see the follow up to tightening things up but if you accept the EOS body structure has more flex than non-cabs then attacking what is creaking seems a better approach.

The reason new cars may creak less is the ABS trim parts still contain a lot of their plasticiser which keeps the plastic flexible. As these parts age and the plasticiser solvents leak away (that new car smell!), the plastic parts get harder.

One day some creative sort will design and sell a device you plug in the car overnight which can fumigate the car with a gas similar to the solvents used in the plasticers. You then drive off next moring with no creaks for several months and a car that smells like new coming from the mothership.:)

·
Used to be used Truffle!
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks For a useful discussion on this issue. The creaking sounds do seem to fit the character of plastic on plastic. I have had someone else drive while I sat in the back and I have no doubt that the creaks are originating from the roof area towards the rear. There are no creaks when the top is down. The sounds seem to be increased when the humidity is higher. However the source is still eluding me. This has become an aggravating obsession that could lead to me getting rid of the vehicle it is such an irritation.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have this creak! I have found roofliner is clipped in around 4 inches in from rear window, have them unclipped and think theyre the source struggling to re clip as we speak, to test drive with them unclipped... I will be in my rear seats until this is done!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I have one of those annoying creaking sounds coming from the roof towards the back seat that many have reported in other threads. The reported fix is a tightening of some loose bolts that are in the roof mechanism in the area under the roof headliner near the back. What is the technique to take off the headliner to expose the bolts? Without destroying it of course so it can be reinstalled after!
You did Krytox all seals according to VW specs, right?

That is the very first thing one must do.

It is similar to if a vehicle engine does not start, did you check the tank for fuel??

If you already addressed the lubrication with Krytox and are still having squeaks, please excuse me for missing that part.

I'm old.;)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Used to be used Truffle!
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use the Krytox regularly but it seems to be unrelated to the creaking. Here I am years later and still have the creaking..
Just have had to get comfortable with it. other than for that one irritating thing the car has been terrific... performs very well and has been trouble free.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts